Are Flat DH bars better?

metalhead39

Likes Bikes
Hey guys, i am running a set of gravity lite 800mm riser bars and i am not sure on if flat bars will be better. I am getting a straightline direct mount stem with zero rise, ive seen a few riders opting for flat bars and saying they were worth it but i am still a bit unsure.
Any suggestions will be of great help....the link for the bars im thinking of are here>> http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=45539

zacapp

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it's up to you, Some people prefer a bit of rise and some prefer flat. I prefer a bit of rise and am also running the gravity 800mm bars. Just lowering the front end of your bike feels better

dw4dh

Likes Dirt
I personally like 15mm rise the most, any less than that i reckon I would feel like going over the bars to easy. But it's up to you what feels the most comfortable.

bighitben

Likes Dirt
If you have the money and want to try them, then give them a go. If you don't end up liking them you can always put the Gravity Lites back on and sell the Flat bars. My mate has them on his, i've ridden around the street on it and didn't like the feel that much, but if you're used to them it'd probabally feel fine.

While there's a thread about bars, does width really make much difference in downhill, as in going from 680mm to 750mm?

nskz

Likes Dirt
It all depends how low you want the front end of your bike. Some of the setups i've seen people running recently are crazy low...I don't know how you'd ride a setup like that on a steep track without going arse over tit regularly. Personally I think it's just a bit of a trend at the moment. If you look at most of the top world cup guys bikes their front ends aren't crazy crazy low.

All that said if you regularly ride pretty flat tracks you might indeed benefit from a super low front end.

Last edited:

dw4dh

Likes Dirt
If you have the money and want to try them, then give them a go. If you don't end up liking them you can always put the Gravity Lites back on and sell the Flat bars. My mate has them on his, i've ridden around the street on it and didn't like the feel that much, but if you're used to them it'd probabally feel fine.

While there's a thread about bars, does width really make much difference in downhill, as in going from 680mm to 750mm?
I went from riding with 680mm to 750mm was an awesome feeling riding with wider bars. It felt like you were just cruzing at high speeds and allowed me to lean into corners more it was one of the best upgrades I've ever made!

ben_rides_a_bike

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I went from riding with 680mm to 750mm was an awesome feeling riding with wider bars. It felt like you were just cruzing at high speeds and allowed me to lean into corners more it was one of the best upgrades I've ever made!
To true, has to be the best upgrade to improve performace, getting the right width and rise for yourself.

metalhead39

Likes Bikes
thanks guys for the feed back, i try the ones in the link i have provided to see how well they go and if i dont like them too much then ill put the gravity lites back on, im also getting a straight line direct mount stem so maybe the front end will be a bit to low for my riding style.