Are Minions too heavy?

gliss

Likes Dirt
3.5kg for rear wheel,
2.8kg front...

They're on dabomb revolver rim and headspin hubs.
Minions 2 ply 60a
and I think one of those self healing inner tubes as well.

is that too heavy?

Attachments

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does seem a lot. Perhaps the problem isn't the Minions?

Minions seem to be very popular, so I'm guessing they probably are not too heavy.

B.utters

Likes Dirt
Cheapest and best way to lighten your wheels would be to go and get some xc tubes and chuck them in with a bit of talc powder to stop pinch flats.

Having a good set of tires is more important than having a light wheel.

andrew_o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Da Bomb wheelsets are very heavy!! But also very strong:) Minnions are an average weight. Perhaps xc tubes if your not to hard on your wheels.:)

0psi

Eats Squid
Having a good set of tires is more important than having a light wheel.
+1. I'm a weight weenie through and through and tried the whole single ply tire thing and it just sucks. Tire would roll around on the rim due to no sidewall support, they pinch easier, tear sidewalls, blah, blah. There are lighter DH tires out there (Schwalbe do a few) but you're best off sticking with a tread pattern that you like. There's no point in a light bike that you're not completely comfortable/confident in.

Sammy86

Squid
Just weighed my front wheel with 2.5 DH minions on and it comes in at 3.2kg so looks like your a bit better off than me.

My front wheel (atomlab trail pimp with hope hub) is about 1.5kg, minion was about 1.2kg and the tube took up the last 500g.

I have never had a pinch flat with my minons on so I tried some lighter single ply schwalbe tires last week and had a flat on my first ride. I'll stick with my heavy minions I think.

Sam

Are you runnin slime tubes? They are as heavy as it gets and a bit overkill... Maxxis freeride tubes with baby powder or equivilant will do the trick nicely. I think the weight is in your wheels.
To answer your question minions are not to heavy. But 60a minions suck balls!