Are more speeds better?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I grabbed xx1/x01 11s gear for the recent build thinking it is the sweet spot through the recent ‘state enforced parts acquisition isolation period’ only to find that the new frame’s chain stay sits too high for a clear chain line. Can’t shift it to save myself now.

FW
Gee, that sounds like a headache. Sorry to hear.

Do you know what drivertrain / gearing the frame came with originally?

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gee, that sounds like a headache. Sorry to hear.

Do you know what drivertrain / gearing the frame came with originally?
It came with xt/ Slx 12s. 51t to 32t no problemo, with 11 I would have to drop to a 30t with only 48t out back. The chain at 10t/30t would’ve dragged on the top of the chain stay.

Yawn…

11s would be great across all my bikes but this frame will really only work with 12.

Shitmano 12s is actually pretty good though

Chamelion

Likes Dirt
why woudl you want a 12s 52t range when you have a motor. It's just ridiculous.
As someone with 12sp on an E bike, I absolutely agree. Lowest gear and in boost I could climb absolutely anything until such a steepness that I tip over backward.... and there would be 0 effort involved.

I dont understand why they bothered beside the ability to sell more expensive bikes.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
It came with xt/ Slx 12s. 51t to 32t no problemo, with 11 I would have to drop to a 30t with only 48t out back. The chain at 10t/30t would’ve dragged on the top of the chain stay.

Yawn…

11s would be great across all my bikes but this frame will really only work with 12.

Shitmano 12s is actually pretty good though
Fair enough. First time I've heard of a 12s only frame but makes sense I guess. Enjoy the extra gear and look down on the 11s wannabe's :)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Yes, I see. A bit too close and some bumps could have the chain flapping all over it. Stick to 12s there.

ausdb

Being who he is
Not sure if this is a coincidence or not but I had this delivered today from Wiggle. It was meant to go on a bike for my daughter but I may put it on one of mine first. I think it was about, $115 including the chain on their black Friday sale. I bought some other stuff that took it over the free postage threshold.
DSC_1779-picsay.jpg

poita

Likes Dirt
I barely use all the gears in a 9 speed cassette, but the range is definitely required. I’m a recent convert to the Microshift, Sunrace and box wide range cassettes in 9/10/11 speed. That’s only because I bought one of those Archer components shifters though. I tried mixing in a wide range cassette in to an xt 10 speed setup in the past and the shifting drove me mad so I went to 11 speed and got shorter longevity for the privilege. It’s a pity it “isn’t innovative” to keep the same number of speeds but increase the range…

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
As others have said it is all about the range. I run 11 speed because I wanted the simplicity of 1x. Being honest the fatbike was better 2x10 but 1x with 32 driving 11-46 works fine. Likewise on the Bronson 32 on 11-42 has been ok. The Cannondale hardtail is a bit of a compromise. That is 34 to 11-42. I could do with both a higher and lower ratio but not enough to fork out any money. It runs 135 HG rear and it wont accept microspline or XD. I would need different wheels etcetera.

I have never ridden along wishing I had a gear somewhere between two on the cassette. But then I am a hack rider too.

mark22

Likes Dirt
After having I think most stuff from 3x8 to 12 speed. Current bikes have 11 speed 11-46 and Shimano 12 speed 10-51.
Have to say I much rather the 12 for the range, only downside so far the microspline freehub requires more cleaning and regreasing compared to a Pro4 but its a relatively easy job.
Done 850kms so far on the original 12 speed chain, happy if I get 1k also it has no chain guide and has never dropped a chain.
Man I could not go back to multi chainring setup, I was glad to see the back of that stuff.
I reckon maintenance is a great prevention to premature replacement on the whole on a bike but it can be like an extra partime job with a couple of bikes with suspension, bearings, drivetrain and cleaning and then there is the UPGRADING of components especially the ones on sale :p

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
In response to the headline question, yes and no... More sprockets allow a somewhat wider gear range while keeping the ratio gaps reasonable, or depending on manufacturers' offerings, can be set up with a really meaty & useful mid-range while keeping the overall spread the same as a setup with fewer sprockets. That said, you still can't get a wide overall range and a properly useful middle without multiple chainrings; you'd need about 16 sprockets to on a 1x to get the mix available on a 3x10...

Then there's the fitting of more gears into a restricted space..... To make them fit, sprockets have to get thinner and closer, and chains narrower to match. Thinner/narrower = less contact area between chain & sprockets, therefore higher point loading which increases wear. Tuning is also more sensitive, even with altered shift ratios that reduce derailleur travel relative to cable pull....

Calvin27

Eats Squid
it wont accept microspline or XD
I won't either. Holding out here haha.

increases wear. Tuning is also more sensitive
These ones are the biggies for me. Surprised a neglected bike left out in the weather still shifted no issues. I don't imagine an 11 speed or more would like that especially if the cable was a bit worse for wear.

As for the close ratios, I get that for racing or road bikes, but given I dump multi shift regularly on the mtb, I'm not sure I need all the gears.