Are specialized bikes the new giant??

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
really?
2011 Merida Ninety-Six 3000D carbon with full XT, Fox F100, DT Swiss/XT wheelset can be had for 4300...how much Anthem can you get for that much?
There's a giant anthem 29er in trading area new for 1900. So, a bit over 2

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
really?
2011 Merida Ninety-Six 3000D carbon with full XT, Fox F100, DT Swiss/XT wheelset can be had for 4300...how much Anthem can you get for that much?
Thats an old model hence the price. Saying that, even at the reduced price I would rather spend $300 less and get a 2012 Anthem Advanced 1. Ok, so no carbon rear triangle but it has XT UST wheelset, XT brakes over the crappy Avids, Fox rear shock over the wooden DT Swiss, and the well proven maestro suspension over the Meridas 'faux bar' single pivot.

The 2012 99 Carbon 3000D looks nice but still has the 'faux bar', DT Shock. Thankfully they have switched to XT brakes and the frame is probably lighter than the 2012 Anthem. The downside is that it is $1500 more than the Anthem Advanced 1. I'll take the more refined suspension over the slightly lower weight of the Merida especially considering the price difference.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Coming back from Lithgow yesterday we had a giggle over the fact that there was more money on top of some cars than the car was worth and also that our bikes cost as much or more than some of the moto bikes returning back the Great Western Highway. It's horses for courses. Although my heart says S-works, my rational mind says the big G.....

taibo

Eats Squid
Not sure why everyone hates on the dt Swiss shocks so much. I raced my 96 for 18 months which included 3 x 24hrs(team of 4 of course :) ), 1x12 hour 4 x 4 hours, a muddy 100km and the DT swiss keeps on going and going. It's also due for it's first service after 18 months of use :)

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
Not sure why everyone hates on the dt Swiss shocks so much. I raced my 96 for 18 months which included 3 x 24hrs(team of 4 of course :) ), 1x12 hour 4 x 4 hours, a muddy 100km and the DT swiss keeps on going and going. It's also due for it's first service after 18 months of use :)
If you were to put a Fox decal on a DT Swiss shock most folks who rode it wouldn't notice a difference. Most people don't even set their bike's suspension up properly regardless of the shock type. A well dialed in shock from DT is much better than an incorrectly setup shock from Fox (or anyone else).

Back on topic.. Is it possible that people are straying from Giant a bit just to be different? I can't imagine hammering a technical singletrack, a killer downhill, or some sweet jumps only to get to the end of the trail and see 10 other people on the same bike who are faster.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
If you were to put a Fox decal on a DT Swiss shock most folks who rode it wouldn't notice a difference. Most people don't even set their bike's suspension up properly regardless of the shock type. A well dialed in shock from DT is much better than an incorrectly setup shock from Fox (or anyone else).

Back on topic.. Is it possible that people are straying from Giant a bit just to be different? I can't imagine hammering a technical singletrack, a killer downhill, or some sweet jumps only to get to the end of the trail and see 10 other people on the same bike who are faster.
Huh?! Your comparing a badly set up Fox to a well set up DT. What's the point of that! If your going to set the DT shock up properly why not do the same for the Fox.

Bike riders are fickle and like to be different that's why many of them don't like giant. You can't deny they are well sorted and specc'ed bikes for the money though. In relation to your last comment, its pretty satisfying being faster than the guy on the exotic , mega expensive bike though.

Oh, and I currently have one of those 'exotic' bikes but am having a hard time going past Giant for my soon to be next purchase.

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
In relation to your last comment, its pretty satisfying being faster than the guy on the exotic , mega expensive bike though.
I'm not saying they don't exist, but I don't know a single person who rides an Ibis Mojo fast.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not saying they don't exist, but I don't know a single person who rides an Ibis Mojo fast.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:I'm shocked ... so man who spends big $$$$ on bike aren't necessarily going to go faster?

Beechie

Banned
$$$$ spent

$$$$ spent on bikes don't make people fast world champions.

Like cars does buying a Ferrari make you a better driver? People buy bikes according to their value and what their ego can afford.
Giants are great bikes - will I buy one no. Do Ford lovers buy Commodores?
To win in formula one:- car is 90% car and driver is 15% (no one wins unless they are giving it more than 100%) in mountain biking a World Cup winning performance is:- 90% rider (or more) and 10% bike (or less).
I am biased I sub 10kg duallies and a top carbon HT, and it makes me feel good to ride them - am I a champion - no do I get on podiums - no, do I enjoy my "Ferrari" standard mtb you betcha.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Beechie said:
To win in formula one:- car is 90% car and driver is 15% (no one wins unless they are giving it more than 100%)
I reckon the above applies to any race, be it running, riding, driving, etc......that is giving it everything.....

Beechie said:
I am biased I sub 10kg duallies and a top carbon HT, and it makes me feel good to ride them - am I a champion - no do I get on podiums - no, do I enjoy my "Ferrari" standard mtb you betcha.
If one has the ability to ride the very best bike they can afford, then I reckon go for it.....People have the right to buy whatever they want :)

macboy

Likes Dirt
Cort,

I reckon you should be banned from this thread. If Specialized make jocks I'm sure you'd have a pair for every day of the week:biggrin:

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Cort,

I reckon you should be banned from this thread. If Specialized make jocks I'm sure you'd have a pair for every day of the week:biggrin:
heheeh I haven't been that active on it have I? :)

With the way we are buying bikes, Josie will have a Specialized bike for each day of the week.......She so needs to get sponsored :D (just to give the bank balance a break!)

quiggs

Likes Dirt
heheeh I haven't been that active on it have I? :)

With the way we are buying bikes, Josie will have a Specialized bike for each day of the week.......She so needs to get sponsored :D (just to give the bank balance a break!)
The word on the street Cort is btw you and Josie, Total Rush didn't need to refinance to afford to buy SBR shop in Windsor they had just be saving all the money that you 2 have spent there in the past 12 months.

;)

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Strangely, in the UK Specialized are what Giant is here. Specialized bikes are better specc'ed for the money than Giants and Specialized bikes are far far more common over there than Giants.

Giant Australia just has it's 5shit together better and specc's the Aussie Giants better than most.