Are we taking 'sport' to far?

conor.1

Genetic Throwback
This thought came across me before after stumbling upon a programme for Fuel TV.

2009 Australian Pole Dance Championships is on tonight at 6pm (EST)

the program info:

Pole dancing has exploded to become one of the fastest growing sports around. The fitness levels are insane and the moves they pull on a pole will certainly make you take notice! the girls are hot too, so they deserve your attention!

My question/s is are we taking what we call sport to far? What defines a sport to you? Is pole dancing really a sport? And what 'sports' do you think aren't 'sports' (if that makes sense)?

Conor.

PSYCHO-T

Likes Dirt
Oh man, im so in!

I dont think these things should be classed as "sports"
neither should snooker, poker or any of them
can we not just call them extreme recriation?

a sport is something that is physicly exhausting, and require fitness, mental fitness and everything else.
they seem to turn any compitiion into a sport these days.
"Next on channel 1 sports is Battle of the bands"

but thats what i think.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
What gets me is when people turn players into role models.
Just because some meathead can kick a ball/ hit a ball/ swim/ ride a bike etc and be successful. They are then suddenly held up to some higher ideal and no longer allowed to make mistakes/ let off steam/ or behave badly.
It's as though they are no longer like the rest of the adult population.....
Not quite the whole is it a sport thing but this has been bugging me for a while.

The Bear

_CODY_

Likes Dirt
Call it pink lettuce for all i care ill forever watch it....

The word Drifting and sport should never be used in the same sentence, let alone the same page.
So if drifting isnt a sport, Is V8's or any other motorsport a sport? Whats the difference?

Fixie God

Likes Dirt
If the criteria is physical fitness, exhaustion and some kind of mental ability. Then yeah, drifting and V8 supercars are sports. Driving a car that hard for that long kills you. In the same respect, pole dancing is supposed to be hard work as well. Soooo

Ivan

Eats Squid
Part of me wants to say yes, part of me wants to say no......

[video=youtube;hTR95Xkqk_k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTR95Xkqk_k&feature=related[/video]

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
More of an art than a sport if you ask me, same with dancing. Although in this day and age with mcdonalds and obese 3 year olds i spose they can get away with calling anything that involves moving a sport?

mtb1611

Seymour
So you are trying to tell me that most NRL players are mentally fit? Riiight...
It would seem that you are confusing mental fitness with academic ability; the two are quite different. While I'm no advocate of NRL academia, the ability to maintain constant and repetitive physical contact at a high level (ie: being hammered by 120kg beasts impacting with your body at high velocity) surely requires a degree of mental fortitude. I doubt they could explain the theory of relativity (then again, neither could I) but the ability to block out physical pain in order to achieve a goal - or at the very least strive towards it - certainly indicates a high level of mental toughness IMHO.

In response to Bear the Bear's dilemma regarding role models, that's an interesting one. While I can see your point in regard to athletes being held up as role models, and consequently being pillaried for their off-field discretions, there are several perspectives to consider. Granted, they most likely entered their chosen (absurdly-paid) field via a simple desire to play a game however having reached an elite level of a sport (any sport) that is closely followed by children and young adults, surely there exists a moral/ethical repsonsibility to "do the right thing" by these impressionable types.

Lastly, pole dancing, bring it.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
So you are trying to tell me that most NRL players are mentally fit? Riiight...
As with MTB1611 ... Tactical and strategic aspects make it a mental game and therefore they need to be mentally fit ... well the stars anywho.

Training helps of course ... but they need to be able to read a game, dummy a pass or step round a defender, which requires mental acuteness.

Somebody put in a distinction between competition and sport. Surely, thats what defines a sport ... competition whether against others, versus time, team based or by yourself, defines "sport". Thats why pole dancing and LFL are sports ... :cool:

Back to LFL ... WoW ... just goes to show Men are pussies if the "Ladies" can just play with that kit ... more seriously, it kinda looked pretty interesting in a none sex / sexy kinda way ... obviously bit more sexed up for Sepo / male audiances, but exactly why Netball changed their unitforms from pleated skirts and oversized bibs to body huggers ... sex sells and they need sponos just like anybody else.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Anything that involves competition and physical activity is a sport.

Tiger Woods is always referred to as 'one of the world's richest sportsmen' despite the nature of his profession involving nothing more arduous than swinging a lightweight club a number of times (oh, except for the rooting. That may break a sweat)

In this light, snooker, darts, lawn bowls and the egg and spoon race are all sports as well.

confusing but you can't really argue with the dictionary now can you?

adman

Likes Dirt
Hey! It takes a very keen mind to want to clean the floor for an ice cool hunk of cheese floating across an ice rink... don't bag out curling!

Note: I hate curling for all it's worth. :mad:

PSYCHO-T

Likes Dirt
The most ridiculous excuse for a sport is curling. Can't believe that shit is in the olympics!
The Canadians have way to much pull in what is called a sport...

It seems anything that is done in a pub/bar is now able to be a sport,
they turned pub fights into UFC
snooker,
darts
Poll dancing

soon we will be seeing 'peeing in the corner'
hitting on bar maids and projectile vommiting as the new wave of sports.

Tickets on myself for the "eilite sportsman of all these"

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Note: I hate curling for all it's worth. :mad:

How the f*** can you 'hate' curling!? I mean, curling and hatred are two words I wouldn't normally associate with each other

Were you touched up by a curling team as a child? Have you lost any loved ones to collisions with sliding rocks? Have you a broomstick inserted up your arse?

F*** seriously, It's such an obscure, seasonal sport that you've really got to go out of your way to be exposed to any of it. (perhaps it interferes with your figure skating practise? ;-) )

Hell, it looks like a fairly harmless, tranquil waste of time to me. Hating it would be like hating a sunny meadow..

:confused:

The Canadians have way to much pull in what is called a sport...

It seems anything that is done in a pub/bar is now able to be a sport,
they turned pub fights into UFC
snooker,
darts
Poll dancing

What the f*** is poll dancing? (I gather from the newspapers that Kevin Rudd isn't very good at it. whatever it is...)

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Meh, it is another form of gymnastics. It is more of a sport than half the shit on TV nowadays. However, it does egthe question of what is the target audience? I think males and females find an interest in it but they may disagree on whether the athlete should be clothed or not..............