Are YOU a bike snob??

GoingDHfast

Likes Dirt
I love this article! Partly because it makes me think less about the starving refugee's when I pay $300 for a headset, but mainly because its well written and SO true.. :p

My favourite line "There are a lot of bike manufacturers out there, and chances are you don't have enough time to learn why they're despicable on a case-by-case basis."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/?id=2005/nelson_bike_snob

How to be a Bike Snob
If you are a cyclist (and considering where you're reading this, I think that's a safe bet) the following moment either has happened, or will someday happen: you are on your bike, riding along, when a car passes you, with one or more bikes on its rack. After doing a quick assessment, you think to yourself: "Junk." Or it might be an equivalent word, probably with the same number of letters.

That, my friend, is the moment you became (or will become) a bike snob.

The Litespeed Ghisallo
Photo ©: Jon Devich
Gauge your bike snobbery
So, the question is not whether you are a bike snob. Rather, it's how much of a bike snob are you? Answer these questions to find out.

Finish the following statement: "My bike is worth…"

a. More than I admit, even to close personal friends. And it's worth much, much more than I admit to my significant other.
b. Its weight in gold.
c. Really, just gold? Well, I guess that's how much mine was worth before I upgraded the wheelset.

You are riding along the pavement when a recumbent bicycle with a bright orange flag approaches from the other direction. What do you do?

a. Smile and wave. Hey, it's great that we're both on bikes, no matter what kind!
b. Nod nearly imperceptibly, so that others on real bikes will not notice.
c. Ignore this Philistine, and avoid eye contact at all costs. Cross to the other side of the street if necessary.

When was the last time you cried?

a. When someone stole my bike.
b. When someone scratched my bike.
c. When I was in the local bike shop and a pudgy guy with baggy MTB shorts and a BMX helmet came in with a Bianchi S9 Matta Ti/Carbon Record, asking the mechanic to put slime in the tires so it wouldn't get flats so often.

How many bikes do you own?

a. Two
b. 3-5
d. Are you counting complete, rideable bikes? Or do I have to count all the frames? Also, do I have to count the vintage bikes I keep in case I ever decide to open a bike museum? How about the one that Eddy Merckx once touched?

How to score yourself: Oh, be serious. You know how bad you are.

Temple Cycles’ Colibri
Photo ©: James Huang
Snobbery 101
Now that you've admitted that you're a bike snob, you have a choice: either suppress it, or embrace it. My recommendation: embrace it. Be as snobby about bikes as you possibly can. What's the fun in being only mildly elitist? Here, then, are several helpful tips you can use to demonstrate to everyone you ride with that, of all bikes in the world, the only one that is not beneath contempt is the one you are currently riding.

Bike brands: They're all terrible
There are a lot of bike manufacturers out there, and chances are you don't have enough time to learn why they're despicable on a case-by-case basis. Instead, use the following sweeping generalisations.

Big Manufacturer: If you need to scoff at a big-name company's bike, take a back-door tactic: talk about how great they were back in the old days, before they sold out to corporate interests and lost their soul. Isn't it a shame that now they just churn out these lowest-common-denominator bikes with no personality or flair? As a bonus, if you're confident they manufacturer overseas, make a snarky remark about cheap labour and getting what you pay for.

Boutique Manufacturer: Crouch down and take a very close look at the welds on the bike. After looking at a couple, say "Hmmm..." When the bike owner demands what that "hmmm" meant, raise your eyebrows, smile just a tiny bit, and say, "Oh, nothing."

Drilling Down: What's Wrong With Everything
The bike manufacturer is just the tip of the iceberg, though. To be a really thorough bike snob, you need to start looking at minutiae.

The Soloist Carbon
Photo ©: James Huang
Frame Material: All frame materials have weaknesses. No, not weaknesses inherent to the materials themselves. More importantly, they say something about the rider that can be easily despised. Steel? Oh, you must be going for that "retro" look, at the expense of performance. Titanium? That's so 2002. Carbon fibre? Well, that's fine, if you want to be a slavish, me-too trend follower. Aluminum? Well, that both delivers a harsh ride and is what beverage cans are made from. Which, when you think about it, is just…well…gauche.

Components: Naturally, any bike snob will quickly assess all components on a bike and be ready to render judgment. If any of the components are below the absolute highest level available, well, it's almost too easy. "You know, I think you made a good choice going with Chorus for now, though once you've been riding for a while you may notice that shifting just doesn't feel as crisp as with Record."

The real component snobbery battle is not in the level one has, then, but rather with which brand: Campagnolo or Shimano. And since both in reality work exceptionally well and are extraordinarily reliable, the bike snob needs to work in intangibles: "I find Shimano componentry lacks the flair of Campagnolo." Or, "Campagnolo just doesn't feel as precise as Shimano." The great thing about these statements is that they indicate that your biking sense is so refined that you notice subtleties that aren't even there. Even more importantly, they can't be quantified, so they can't be disproved.

Cranks: Really, this one is too easy. No matter what crankset you are scoffing at, ask the hapless owner "Don't you find that crankset a little bit flexy?" Try to use an incredulous tone, as if it's the most obvious thing in the world. Do not consider, even for a second, the possibility that 99.99% of cyclists cannot tell the variance of flexibility between the stiffest and squishiest cranks in the world.

Pedals: If the pedal has any float, squinch up your nose and say it doesn't have a positive enough connection to the bike. Say it feels "vague." If it has no float at all, indicate that it's a fine pedal indeed…if you don't mind having your knees ruined.

Fallback Position
It's possible, unfortunately, that you may run across another cyclist who is as great a bike snob as you, but happens to know more about bikes. This is a serious situation, but can be handled. If you are countered at every assertion, stop talking. Smile. Fold your arms. Exude wisdom. Eventually, the other cyclist will stop talking and look at you, wanting to know what you're smirking about.

This is when you say, "Nothing, really. To me, it's not really so much the bike that matters - after all, it's the engine that's going to win or lose the race, isn't it?"

Of course, this is a two-edged sword. Now you've got to prove that you're not just a bike snob, but a fast cyclist, which, naturally, you'd be happy to do - in fact, you would insist - if it weren't for your tendonitis.

Last edited:

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hahah thats a good read,

i do that to every single bike, quick glance, what dose it have, is mine better? i cant help it anymore:eek:

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hate to admit it but yes. I don't like to be this way but I have some nice toys. Not the best by any standard but come on, have any of you ridden a huffy? The worst thing is that I can't ride for shit.

RCOH

Eats Squid
Blatantly stolen from RM:

Cyclists are the biggest sandbaggers and secret trainers around. They'll say anything to soften you up for the kill. Don't let this happen to you.

Study this handy rider's phrasebook to find out what they really mean when they say:

"I'm out of shape"
Translation: I ride 400 miles a week and haven't missed a day since the Ford administration. I replace my 11-tooth cog more often than you wash your shorts. My body fat percentage is lower than your mortgage rate.

"I'm not into competition. I'm just riding to stay in shape"
Translation: I will attack until you collapse in the gutter, babbling and whimpering. I will win the line sprint if I have to force you into oncoming traffic. I will crest this hill first if I have to grab your seat post, and spray energy drink in your eyes.

"I'm on my beater bike"
Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.

"It's not that hilly"
Translation: This climb lasts longer than a presidential campaign. Be careful on the steep sections or you'll fall over -- backward. You have a 39x23 low gear? Here's the name of my knee surgeon.

"You're doing great, honey"
Translation: Yo, lard ass, I'd like to get home before midnight. This is what you get for spending the winter decorating and eating chocolate. I shoulda married that cute Cat 1 racer when I had the chance.

"This is a no-drop ride"
Translation: I'll need an article of your clothing for the search- and-rescue dogs.

"It's not that far"
Translation: Bring your passport.

udi

swiss cheese
GoingDHfast said:
You are riding along the pavement when a recumbent bicycle with a bright orange flag approaches from the other direction. What do you do?

b. Nod nearly imperceptibly, so that others on real bikes will not notice.
c. Ignore this Philistine, and avoid eye contact at all costs. Cross to the other side of the street if necessary.
hehe, cave dweller will like that one. :D

the F.H.B

Likes Dirt
Oh so true! I have crap bikes and yet im still an aspiring snob :D
I guess we all need goals in life, mine is to make people insecure about the Qaulity of bike they are on.

rowanr

Likes Dirt
RCOH said:
Blatantly stolen from RM:
"I'm on my beater bike"
Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
ahahah thats pure gold
im sure we're all bike snobs. i admit it, i quickly look at a bike and %99 of the time i conclude that its shit. they could have always got better parts

ja_har

Likes Dirt
I'm a blatant bike snob with 2 simple tests

If its worse than mine, its shit....

If you cant jump it it without worrying about snappage.... it's shit...

demo man

Used to be cool.
good thread!

i have to admit that i am definately a snob.

but then, i'm sure people make lots of judgments about me being a rich, well, snob when they see me riding a demo 9 on street or along the side of the road, or even on XC!

demo man

Used to be cool.
hmm, well lets see what people think if you ride the bike in your avator!

and i'll take it by the ":) " that you're joking, so i won't smoke your arse!

now, what can be said about tnakie?
well, he has a weird name...

EDIT:
haha, got threads mixed up! i didn't need to say anything about tnakie!

tnankie

Likes Dirt
HEY I SAVED DAMN HARD FOR THAT BIKE, sure i was studying at uni and my girlfriend was paying my rent, and food, and other toys, and ok so my parents were giving me some money. but I saved at least half of it...well maybe a third.

oh and lay off my name, its a perfectly normal typo

jab

Likes Bikes
great thread-i reckon biking is a disease and once you catch it it wont go away, you just have to be a snob and gloat at other peoples crap. the unfair bit is when someone gloats at you.........:)

pigman

Likes Dirt
top stuff mate. im not a snob but just want to know wat the bike is, i start at the cranks this will almost always tell you the use of the bike.

Mahoney_007

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah definatley. Especially the bit about checking out other peoples bikes on their racks.

Oh and Cheese all I could think of the other night watching LOTR's was your damn avatar. lmfao

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
Hahahhaaa,

Me bros mate bought a K-mart type bike the other day from some dude in a shopping center for like $550.00 (a "bargain" he tells me:p ). Its a duelly with shit-house shimano bottom end stuff and a sticker that says, "WARNING - don not attemp to ride this bike off-road".

I simply laughed in his face, so yes...i am a major snob...but come on - he could have bought a 2nd handy HT off Farkin that would have killed-it on the trails and been a hellava lot safer.

Oh, and lifes too short to ride rubbish bikes i reckon.

cheese

Likes Dirt
Mahoney_007 said:
Oh and Cheese all I could think of the other night watching LOTR's was your damn avatar. lmfao
Hehe, yes I know, I was laughing at the picture for a long time myself. It's actualy part of an animated gif, heres the whole thing.