Area 51

Neon

Likes Dirt
So....
Whats the deal with area 51 in the US?
i am particularly interested in this place, but im not sure about what goes on there.
So ill just make this place a kind of area 51 descussion thread.

chu

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It is also a place where apparently the 'Aliens' are making contact with humans and where they have studied recovered, crashed UFO's to try and duplicate the technology to make our own type of UFO

Jimass

Eats Squid
isn't it unused now? i heard they stopped doing stuff there.

probably just to throw us off:D
I wouldn't say that if i were you some of those guys have some pretty big sissy holes.
EDIT: I'm not sure on the facts but the last time I heard about it was when the American military was bringing in a new plane and they were testing it there.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
It's a giant aircraft testing space offically.....
I believe it is part of the extensive Nevada Testing facility including the Nellis Air Force base. Few notable aircraft have been tested here...the SR-17 Blackbird, F-117 NightHawk and a few other of Kelly Johnson/Ben Rich's Lockheed Skunk Work's initiatives. Top secret. The U-2 spy plane even made an emergency stop over at the Point Cook airbase here in Australia at one stage. I guess because of its nature, and the fact it doesnt appear on many maps, there is a real pop culture thing about it...aliens and all that.

If you come across something 'code named Aurora', its simply the budget designation for the technology that was later used in the Northrop B-2 Spirit (stealth bomber). It isnt a mach-5 rated interceptor, often associated with Area 51. (though testing of the YF-12, the SR-71 interceptor variant did occur in the region) Though the movie, 'Aurora, Operation Intercept' was pretty sick.

Last edited:

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Area 51 is just a decoy to distract people from where the really secret stuff happens - Area 51b!

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I flew a mission in flight sim the other day , had to take some Govt employees out there from Vegas. Halfway there , the aircraft got buzzed by a UFO. It was very cool. :cool:

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I flew a mission in flight sim the other day , had to take some Govt employees out there from Vegas. Halfway there , the aircraft got buzzed by a UFO. It was very cool. :cool:
haha! Did you check out the pixel ship at the end of the mission :p The start of that mission is a massive computer killer, dam vegas....
Thats really all i got, I have never really had an interest in area51, doing aerospace and all, ahh well.

Jimass

Eats Squid
I believe it is part of the extensive Nevada Testing facility including the Nellis Air Force base. Few notable aircraft have been tested here...the SR-17 Blackbird, F-117 NightHawk and a few other of Kelly Johnson/Ben Rich's Lockheed Skunk Work's initiatives. Top secret. The U-2 spy plane even made an emergency stop over at the Point Cook airbase here in Australia at one stage. I guess because of its nature, and the fact it doesnt appear on many maps, there is a real pop culture thing about it...aliens and all that.

If you come across something 'code named Aurora', its simply the budget designation for the technology that was later used in the Northrop B-2 Spirit (stealth bomber). It isnt a mach-5 rated interceptor, often associated with Area 51. (though testing of the YF-12, the SR-71 interceptor variant did occur in the region) Though the movie, 'Aurora, Operation Intercept' was pretty sick.
Your either full of shit or way to smart. I'm betting the latter. I'm wondering if you've read ICE STATION by Matthew Riley? He's a very talented writer, making the Silhouette (fictional plane) in ICE STATION seem very believable. Back on topic. Many planes have made their debut there, the ones you mentioned being the most memorable. Quite an interesting place actually.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Your either full of shit or way to smart. I'm betting the latter. I'm wondering if you've read ICE STATION by Matthew Riley? He's a very talented writer, making the Silhouette (fictional plane) in ICE STATION seem very believable. Back on topic. Many planes have made their debut there, the ones you mentioned being the most memorable. Quite an interesting place actually.
Aviation enthusiast. Much of the details there are from I Ben Rich's 'Skunk Works', a biography of Lockheed's secret aircraft development program. aircraft churned out of that included the F-104 Starfighter, the SR-71 BlackBird, the U2 Spyplane and the F-117 Nighthawk...four of the most revolutionary aircraft of the age. Havent read IceStation but I have read Area and Scarcrow. They are truely amazing books in that they flow so fast.

W2ttsy

Likes Dirt
Aviation enthusiast. Much of the details there are from I Ben Rich's 'Skunk Works', a biography of Lockheed's secret aircraft development program. aircraft churned out of that included the F-104 Starfighter, the SR-71 BlackBird, the U2 Spyplane and the F-117 Nighthawk...four of the most revolutionary aircraft of the age. Havent read IceStation but I have read Area and Scarcrow. They are truely amazing books in that they flow so fast.
if you are interested there is a sweet book about the F117A Nighthawk that details the project from start to finish.

Also fail for reading area 7 and scarecrow before ice station. You need to read them in order for it to make complete sense. Read Ice Station and then the other 2 and suddenly parts will make sense again.

The writing is ok, i wouldn't call it awesome or anything. Still good to waste some braincells on if there isnt anything good on the tele.

W2ttsy

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I thought the books were able to stand alone fairly well though it would have been good to read IceStation prior. They were good books but im not really a fan of that over-detailed 'Tom Clancy' style writings. It was just interesting how the books flowed...reminded me of a Die hard movie.