Arm Pump!

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
I've had a little trouble lately with light arm pump on my local trails, and just flew up to Cairns for the WC and incidentally some shuttles down Kuranda. I had a sick time, the track is nuts but crazy fun, buuuuut I had pretty bad arm pump after my 5th run, 6th run down I could barely move my fingers.

This is partially because of the bike I was riding and it being a little stiffer than I'm used to on my rig, but I was wondering what most people do to physically stop it, rather than changing spring rates? I'm open to anything, exercises, whatever you find works, chuck it up here because I want to stop this for good!

Last edited:

PETE9300

Likes Bikes
Had a similar issue and changed my grips, I found using ODI Ruffians over rutted terrain I ended up with shocking arm pump, changed to ODI Rogues and a noticeable difference over the same terrain instantly.

I reckon the difference is simply that with the Rogue grips have pliable grip blocks on them that you don't need a great deal of clamping force on them to maintain grip.

Worked for me try a softer grip before changing out spring rates etc

Pete

ChopSticks

Banned
http://www.vitalmtb.com/features/MTB-Strength-Training-The-Cure-for-Arm-Pump,70

if thats too much work...
I would recommend some ESI grips to 'soften' the ride, comes in 30, 32 and 34mm diameters to suit all (most) needs and will be your cheapest option.

Your next cheap fix would be some gloves (if you dont already wear them) some with gel pads in the palms might also be beneficial (doesnt work for me though)

next would be some carbon bars, but we're starting to talk $$$ which can put to a new spring !

Good luck

edit: how are your brakes angled? are you bending your wrists to compensate ?

Last edited:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Buy a motocross bike and ride it for an hour a day on a rough mx track. After 2 or 3 years your body will adapt and Hey Presto! Arm pump gone.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
+1 for brake lever position and carbon bars. I see so many people with their brake levers sticking out almost horizontal to the ground who complain of arm pump. As some famous rider (can't recall his name rn) pointed out, if you have your levers angled steep, you don't have to bend your wrists as your arms are already in the optimal position to not only absorb impacts, but brake at the same time.

The extra dampening of carbon bars needs no explanation. And they aren't expensive these days.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Arm pump on a bike is most likely caused by having a "death grip" on the bars. Relax your grip a little and you'll have much less arm pump. Grab anything and give it a squeeze and you'll see how it pumps up your forearms. If you relax your grip every now and then it'll let the blood flow out of your forearms better.

You can try to generally relax your grip along with your arms and shoulders to get better control. You can also relax your grip once you're in the air or in parts of the track that are less demanding. Giving your fingers a little wiggle will help too.

Arm pump on the moto is harder to avoid because you have to hang on tight, but even there its greatly reduced by hanging on your fingers and not death griping the bars. Its not always about making your forearms stronger, its about hanging on with the least amount of possible effort squeezing the grips.

ChopSticks

Banned
on that note.... do you use 1 finger for brakes?

if not, it means your other fingers are working harder to hold onto the bars....
current hydro brakes should only require 1 finger... which leaves more fingers to hold the bars = less arm pump no?

jenk0s

Likes Dirt
hey, just been down to thredbo.... my arms were fine during the ride, but the day after, my wrists were absolutely dead, is this arm pump? or is it something else..... i changed the angle of the brake levers and had a day off ridding :( came back and rode again, no problems

teK--

Eats Squid
Aside from just riding rough trails more often, I have found doing exercises with kettle bells (in particular with the kettle bell upside down) will do a lot for functional grip strength. Those gyro ball things I have had one and they are ok but don't really target what mtb requires.

willsy01

Eats Squid
hey, just been down to thredbo.... my arms were fine during the ride, but the day after, my wrists were absolutely dead, is this arm pump? or is it something else..... i changed the angle of the brake levers and had a day off ridding :( came back and rode again, no problems
Nah......arm pump is when your forearms feel like someone has pumped them up, hence the name. They'll actually feel firmer to the touch as well.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Most has been addressed.

Not just brakes but full cockpit set up. You want your arm to be quite straight when riding no excessive bending at the wrist, everything should be in comfortable reach. Should be no excessive contraction or reaching of fingers.

Carbon bars may help but would be a last change.

Set up would be first.
A stress ball squeezing that will help just don't over so it.

And relax loosen up been crazy tense is probably the biggest cause.

I think all this was already covered so ill +1 anyone else who suggested these.

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the advice guys. I run XT's and one finger brake, you'd be crazy not to. I don't really get it too often on my DH bike, more on my AM bike.

I'm thinking I'll just try and relax a little more, I tend to stiffen up on new trails so it makes sense that I had it worse than before, maybe even try some more MTB orientated strength training as well as my normal routine.

Yep.

But hydration and breathing properly is also major influence
This was the first time I'd ridden in that sort of humidity (about 90%) and honestly I was struggling as I just wasn't use to it. I'm not unfit, but I suppose climate and breathing were a big factor, I'd never though about it but that makes perfect sense