articles on "mountainbikes impact on environment"

Timmy Bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey guys, im just doing a bit of school work, and i need some articles and stuff on how much mountain bikes impact on the environment (errosion and stuff), doesnt matter whether its in favor of the bikes or not.

im doing some searching for some, but it would be great if anyone could point some out.

thanks heaps

Timmy Bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ha ha, when i had said i searched, i wasnt refering to farkin, ive been searching outside farkin. probebly should of searched on farkin, but yea, ahh well. i need a few though, so i will probebly need more from outside farkin.

cheers anywho.

Timmy Bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just read that page you posted, monosylabik, and it only had one article i can use, so id like more if anyone has any.

it can be any article about some reporter winging about a new track or a walking track having some ruts from bikers to a full blown study of how mountain bikes affect the tracks.

cheers

Timmy Bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thanks cheese, ill try that.

twiztid, i am doing some searching on farkin to atm, but im sure there will be a few things that arnt on farkin, and like i said, i need a few articles. so i thought id ask incase there is anyone who knows some that i may not find on here. plus a lot of the stuff on farkin is probebly more discusion, i actually need articles and similar on the subject, which i may find on farkin, but i dont know if ill find enough.

Last edited:

demo man

Used to be cool.
search in some newspaper websites, other mtb forums websites, MTBA and IMBA, and university sites as well.

those are what i would think of first...

good luck

majura

Squid
If you hit up State Forests, National Parks... there should be plenty of stuff on MTB use. Normally they'll be burried in plans (see the Kosciuszko Draft Managment Plan of this year). Also ACT Pine forests will have some info too. You may however have to contact them by phone rather than just email/website. Also check research papers on general forest/bush use from humanities faculties (specifically geography) at Uni's. By the by, what is it that you're researching about? good luck with it all.

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
there is a really good study that was done by enviro-science students from UTAS, if you e-mail the enviro-science dept. they'll probably send you a copy.

it compares trail impact of walkers, cyclists, horse riders and something else... can't remember.

www.utas.edu.au

manny24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^^ i'll vouch for that. the taswegians are very green in all that they do. park protection etc is a big issue down south and these mexicans have always got all things green in the back of their minds when building tracks

cheers

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
majura said:
If you hit up State Forests, National Parks... there should be plenty of stuff on MTB use. Normally they'll be burried in plans (see the Kosciuszko Draft Managment Plan of this year). Also ACT Pine forests will have some info too. You may however have to contact them by phone rather than just email/website. Also check research papers on general forest/bush use from humanities faculties (specifically geography) at Uni's. By the by, what is it that you're researching about? good luck with it all.
The best sites easily are IMBA and MTBA for news and resources. Don't trust the Plan of Management materials too much, most of it is mindless rhetoric from elitist bushwalkers not scientific fact. The Uni Tasmania research on Mt Wellington is good, also a New Zealand research has produced probably the best research (check the IMBA site).

schwing

Likes Dirt
an excuse to buy a mag ..... a recent BIKE mag had an article on riding in areas that had been mined. Not totally relevent but could allow for a different slant.

Also maybe look at Whistler and other bike park sites.
Perhaps email them as they would have had impact studies done, or used other research at some stage in their development.

Butch

Likes Bikes and Dirt
im sure this has been covered sumwhere else in a different topic , but for the sakes of it . lets take the canucks as a prime example ... the purpose of shore ( suspended wooden platform above ground level ) urpose of it ? to help prevent erosion of natural habbitat and to inciate regrowth .It is also multipurpose for when it comes to different seasons , eg snow rain ect...

24seven

Likes Dirt
Check the farkin.net homepage. There is a link to the new Mitcham Council (SA) Report into riding that has lots os useful information plus some references that you should be able to google.

I did exactly that topic for yr 12 Geography and it was great, have fun!