Asking price in for sale section

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
I have seen a lot of threads in the for sale section with asking price as 'offers' and some specify only via PM. I think it might be better to have to have an asking price when posting an item for sale so it doesn't turn into an auction essentially. What are others thoughts on this?

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Sellers prerogative. But having said that IMO anyone who doesn't put some sort of indication of what they are looking for deserves all the stupid lowball offers that they get.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
It's simple. As a seller, just ask what you want for it.

If it doesn't sell, knock the price down a bit.

Still not selling? Put it on gumtree or eBay.

One thread I would like to see would be the saddle swap thread.
We've all got several saddles sitting in a box doing nothing.
It sucks having to fork out in excess of $100 every time you want to try a new shape. We should have a swap thread.

I just sent out a saddle to another burner as a test saddle. If he likes it he can buy it off me. If not, he can post it back.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Completely upto the seller, if you get thrown low balls than that's their problem, it seems most "offer" ads tend to get less interest anyway.
On the auction side of it that is again completly the sellers decision. It's a item for sale there is no in first served first policy that has to be abided by.

callum1

Likes Dirt
i suggested this 2 years ago with a fair bit of support, and it was bought up before that as well.

scblack

Leucocholic
If the seller wants to just accept "Offers" or "Pm's" thats their prerogative.

BUT I know that personally if I am looking for an item and it happens to be offered on those terms, I'll either simply ignore it, or offer completely low price.

If you're selling, put up your price or expect low offers.

space_ghost

Likes Bikes
Sorry to hijack thread, but I had a question in a similar vein; Is one allowed to list an item as an informal auction? For example, Price: $1+, post offers below...? Afaik trading guidelines speak nothing of Auctions, either implying I'm a spaz for asking, or it's just never come up before. Would prefer not to list on e-bay because fuck e-bay.

scblack

Leucocholic
Sorry to hijack thread, but I had a question in a similar vein; Is one allowed to list an item as an informal auction? For example, Price: $1+, post offers below...? Afaik trading guidelines speak nothing of Auctions, either implying I'm a spaz for asking, or it's just never come up before. Would prefer not to list on e-bay because fuck e-bay.
You can list it any way you want. But do not expect people to comply with the terms you list if they don't want.

For example if you list it as an auction item, but only one person wants the item. Not much auction movement is going to happen is there?

List the item, list your asking price, and go from there is the norm here. If you do anything else, you can expect silly lowball offers.