QLD Atherton (QLD) to host 2013 National Mountain Bike Marathon Championships

indica

Serial flasher
For anyone interested in this type of racing.
The tracks are fun, I wonder what they will use for the course though. World Trail have just finished a fantastic 6km section with a decent climb and a 2km descent....

Cycling Australia and Mountain Bike Australia are pleased to announce the northern Queensland town of Atherton will host the 2013 National Mountain Marathon Bike Championships on Sunday 21 April.

The Atherton-based Tableland Cycle Sports Club, located one and a half hours south-west of Cairns, was excited about hosting a national event in the region and the opportunity to showcase some of northern Australia’s best trails.

“We are very proud to have a national mountain bike event come to far north Queensland and are excited to offer some of Australia’s best trails for competition when competitors race in Atherton,” said Mark Knowles, President of the Tableland Cycle Sports Club.

“The National Marathon Championships will be well received by our community and riders from all corners of Australia will be amazed at the beauty and quality of the trails in Atherton,” Mr Knowles added.

The venue secured the Championships following significant support from the Queensland Government, with trails planned and built specifically for these Championships by Glen Jacobs and his World Trail crew.

Mountain Bike Australia EO Tony Scott had only praise for the new venue.

“Atherton, and Far North Queensland in particular, is the perfect fit for the 2013 National Mountain Bike calendar for the MTB Marathon Championships,” Mr Scott said. “The venue will delight the riders who venture north in April, competing in the tropics is like no other experience in Australia and the weather in April will be 'just right'.

Reigning National Marathon Champion Andrew Blair is also eager to compete at the challenging new venue, having not ventured to the region since he competed in the Mountain Bike World Championships in Cairns in 1996.

“It is very exciting to hear the Marathon Nationals will be in Queensland this year,” Blair said. “I have never had an opportunity to race a large scale event in Atherton before so it makes trying to predict what will happen a bit of a mystery.

“The last couple of years have had really challenging marathon courses for the national champs and I am very keen to find out more about this course,” Blair said.

The Championships is also a selection event for the 2013 UCI World XCM Championships to be held in Austria in June, something which is not lost on Blair.

“As the defending champion I think it is important to do the title justice and I will definitely be racing in the Marathon Championships next year. I want to make it as hard as I can for anyone wanting to take the jersey away from me.

“I would love to have the honour of wearing the green and gold for another year,” Blair concluded.

indica

Serial flasher
http://mtba.subaru.com.au/marathon-championships/

21 April 2013
Atherton, QLD
Course descriptions

The Atherton Marathon course will give riders a taste of an up and coming mountain bike region, home to a wealth of mountain bike trails.

The 29km course involves approximately 18km of singletrack, including the freshly completed 'Trail Six', a fast flowing World Trail creation sure to get riders smiling.

The 21km of fire trail includes a 15km stretch around the back of the mountain bike park area, through the rainforest iconic to this part of Australia.

With 1100 metres of climbing per lap the course will challenge riders, though the rainforest scenery and flowing singletrack will provide ample reward for riders efforts.

A one (30km), two (60km) or three (90km) lap racing formal will be offered, which includes a short start section to feed riders into the course proper.

The Atherton course embodies the true marathon mountain bike experience, while at the same time sharing the iconic rainforest with riders, this is an event not to be missed.

serowe

Likes Dirt
The 29km course involves approximately 18km of singletrack, including the freshly completed 'Trail Six', a fast flowing World Trail creation sure to get riders smiling.

The 21km of fire trail includes a 15km stretch around the back of the mountain bike park area, through the rainforest iconic to this part of Australia.
Is my math rusty or .... if you have 18 km of single track and 21 km of fire trail this gives a 39 km track??? Or is some of the single track really fire trail??:help:

indica

Serial flasher
Is my math rusty or .... if you have 18 km of single track and 21 km of fire trail this gives a 39 km track??? Or is some of the single track really fire trail??:help:
It is MATHS by the way.... but, yes, they clearly fucked it up.

indica

Serial flasher
With the park currently closed due to water damage, I am curious to know how it will be ready in 6 weeks.

Ruby45

Squid
Does anyone have any solid information on the climbing metres for this race. The website says 3 laps of 30kms with 1100m per lap totalling 3300m. I have heard from another forum that these details arent confirmed.I have raced the original 10km loop a the 8hr last year which is pretty flat. I want to compete in this event but would like to know what im getting myself in for. Has anyone out there ridden the loop with a gps got any information. Or has anyone competed in the event in previous got any info on what to expect.

indica

Serial flasher
All the tracks are being ridden. The new Glen Jacobs built one has a decent climb. It will then be a slog up to 3 ways and beyond, peaks at 1200m or thereabouts. The carpark is at about 750m. From what I understand it then goes beyond 3 ways to Mt. Wallum, there is a new descent along the DH track side which will then link up with the bottom part of the 8 hour track.

sebbyreddan

Likes Dirt
Is it suitable for people just riding for fun, or is it for serious racers only?
If 1100 metres of climbing per lap is your idea of fun then yep go for it. Full marathon is 2 laps 102KM 2200m climbing. Otherwise the Challenge course is a bit easier 19km and about 200m of climbing.

I was planning on completing the half but a broken collar bone brought those plans to a halt. The 19km course should be heaps of fun though especially the 'Ridgy Didge' section, it is one of the best tracks around this region.

Last edited:

bt100

Likes Dirt
If 1100 metres of climbing per lap is your idea of fun then yep go for it. Full marathon is 2 laps 102KM 2200m climbing. Otherwise the Challenge course is a bit easier 19km and about 200m of climbing.

I was planning on completing the half but a broken collar bone brought those plans to a halt. The 19km course should be heaps of fun though especially the 'Ridgy Didge' section, it is one of the best tracks around this region.
The full marathon is 3 laps, 102km and 3300m climbing

http://mtba.subaru.com.au/marathon-championships/