Athiests: What will you say if we've got it wrong?

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Just thought I'd split this up from the Jesus camp thing.

I was heavily religious when I was young. As I grew older, read, learned and expanded my horizons, I slowly lost my religion. I'm comfortably atheist now (have been for the last 20 years... I'm 35 now).

Because of the correct argument that you can neither completely confirm or deny the existance of a higher power, I've always wondered what would happen when I close my eyes for the last time, then open them again, and BANG! I'm standing in front of god (well, if this happens, hopefully we get to speak to him/her in person, and not just some clerk/teller/servant/etc... up there).

What would the conversation go like?

ME: Hoooolllleee-whoops! I shouldn't be saying that stuff, should I? Sorry 'bout that!

GOD: It's alright... like they say in advertising, any publicity is good publicity, right?

ME: Hey, I'm really sorry about not believing in you, eh? But, really, you can't blame me... Evolution and science have REALLY solid arguments against you, and you've been... well, kinda absent. You're all powerful right? You should have got that burning bush gig again, but like... do it on world-wide tv! Or live at the Superbowl or something like that! We just needed more clear cameos from you... not stuff that science has explained over and over again... So, uh... how'd I do? Life-wise?

--- I'd like to think he thought I was a nice guy, who always tried to do the right thing, and look out for others. As for not believing in him, he wouldn't hold it against me, since it's my actions that determine the kind of person I am, and not what deity I believe in.

He'd probably wag the finger at me for throwing my downstairs neighbour's cigarette butts (which she throws out her window onto the lawn) back in through her open window though. (But really, she throws them out her window first, and they're always completely out when I throw them back in....).

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Simple. I haven't got it wrong so I won't have to say anything.
Ah, but y'see, we can't REALLY prove that, right? Because of the way god "exists"... as in... humans can't really test for his existence, right?

I guess I'm an atheist who can accept the possibility of being wrong? But I guess I'll find out when I die. ;)

Last edited:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
My mate has an interesting theory:

Do what ever you want and then repent on your death bed just in case :p

Me, I just like doing nice things because they are nice things to do not because some god is going to punish me forever if I don't

toodles

Wheel size expert
I'd be like - hey man! you owe me a foreskin!

Nah, I'm more inclined to blame Him for not providing us with enough evidence to contradict the skepticism He Himself gave us...

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Nah I'm not getting sucked into this vortex.
Heheheh... fair enough... that's what the jesus camp thread's all about now!;)

Sounds to me like you aren't completely comfortable otherwise you wouldn't be asking yourself these questions.
Funnily enough, I am! (Comfortably athiest, that is) Really!
But just like I can admit that I'm wrong in an argument, or something else that works against my ego or pride, I can consider both possibilities.

I still tell religious people to get stuffed if they try shoving their faith (ANY faith) down my throat....:mad:

Surely I can be an atheist and still say "But, what if?!?". Or does that compromise my "atheism"? Is it an all-or-nothing affair?

Last edited:

EastsideZero

Likes Dirt
If i have gotten it all wrong i'm sure i would qualify for acess to heaven a whole lot more than a lot of self serving god fearing christians.
I think i would be judged on my actions and the way i treated others not on whether i sang the creators praises weekly or spread his word and converted others to his ways.
There will be no deathbed repentance for me. Would a supreme being really be fooled by a last minute conversion? Hopefully not being a hippocrite at the last minute would probably be seen as more honourable.

Anyway, if we are wrong when we are in hell i'm sure there will be enough lawyers down there to get together a shit hot legal team and mount a challenge to extricate ourselves from the situation. It would be an easy win, 'cos there would be no lawyers in heaven to argue the case for god.:D

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
To be honest, I'm not all sure I'd want to be forgiven and admitted into heaven. By all accounts it'd be a fairly tedious place. Kinda like the eastern suburbs of Melbourne but without the pokies. TBH I'm sure one of the reasons I'm an athiest is that the Anglican Church did a f***ing bollocks sales pitch for the afterlife!

I can't say converting to Islam appeals either. No drinking, Enforced facial hair. Ok they at least dangle the carrot of 72 virgins that await anyone who martyrs themselves for Islam but the way I see it, I still can't get a decent f***ing drink and all I've got for company are 72 annoying teenage girls who'll be shit in bed!

EDIT:- I do realise there are a helluva lot more eternal afterlives available to the discerning consumer but I'm running late. TBH I quite like the idea of hanging out with eight limbed goddesses and the like...

Last edited:

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
I quite like the idea of hanging out with eight limbed goddesses and the like...
:p That there is pretty funny i reckon. I ask you, where did you come up with the notion of these mythical objects? And, should this be something i should be aiming for?

fatass

Banned
Well, I guess if that happens, I'll have got it wrong. That was my choice and I won't spend my life worrying about heaven and hell and god and jesus and what is wanted of me. I have a whole life ahead of me not to get coaught up in all that. (I'm 13) I just dont see the point of spending your life as though you will live again. If you live it like you only have one life, you'll get to the second life faster then, hey?

Last edited:

S.

ex offender
I'd just ask why he equipped his earthly representatives with such poor arguments and no real evidence of his existence. Shit, if an omnipotent, omnipresent creator can't even win an argument on the internet...

scblack

Leucocholic
If i have gotten it all wrong i'm sure i would qualify for acess to heaven a whole lot more than a lot of self serving god fearing christians.
Thats dead right, I don't steal, kill, or commit adultery, or any of the other bullshit they go on about.

If he's a good little god, he'll say, the beer fridge is over here.........