Advocacy Alert ATTENTION BRISBANE RIDERS: mountainbiking access survey

J

JaRedy

Haha! I 'reluctantly' completed the second part of the survey, although I'm certain there'd be a number of people who wouldn't have on the grounds of invasion of privacy.
Whats the second part?

Oppy

Likes Dirt
The following is from the quoted directly from the Brisbane City Council's website

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:BASE:929613670:pc=PC_5488

Outdoor recreation in bushland areas
Background

Between 6 February and 24 April 2009, Brisbane City Council sought feedback from the community in an online survey about outdoor recreation, in particular, mountain bike riding. If you were one of the may people who took the time to respond to the survey, Council would like to thank you for your interest and assistance in understanding issues regarding outdoor recreation.

Using independent advice and research, Council will now utilise the results of the survey, along with the letters and submissions also received, to develop a management approach over the coming months.

Council is committed to reviewing how outdoor recreation activities can best be managed whilst ensuring our significant bushland areas can be protected and preserved for future generations.

Council has a strong commitment to the environment through the following programs:

acquisition of important bushland areas, 500 hectares of bushland targeted over the next four years
extensive tree and habitat plantings, over two million trees to be planted by the end of 2011
support for Voluntary Conservation Agreements initiatives, over 3000 hectares of natural habitat to be protected
control of invasive species in Council's bushlands
support for Habitat Brisbane groups and the Creek Rangers

Council's response to feedback
Council recognises the need to ensure a balanced comprehensive approach to preserving our bushland areas and providing outdoor recreation services. It is understood that surveys can have their own limitations and Council will not be relying solely on the results of this survey to develop its management approach. This survey did, however, provide a wide variety of views and ideas regarding how outdoor recreation could be managed and it will certainly be used for direction.

Next
analysis of the results of the online survey along with other information collected
a summary of the survey results available online in June 2009
Council's management approach to outdoor recreation will be available later in 2009

scooter

Likes Bikes
Has anyone else been talking with council about this? I emailed Cr Matic's office a month ago asking a number of questions about the survey and why it has not yet been released. The only response I got was that it would be released "in due course". I wrote back, and have also called their office, asking them to answer my original questions, but have not yet received a response.

Is Cr Matic this unhelpful to all Brisbane residents, or just me? I would encourage you all to write and/or telephone him and find out.

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They probably didnt get the response they wanted aka Anti-MTB so they are going to file it away somewhere and forget it happened.

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Therefore if you have a Brisbane postcode, make sure you keep pushing for your questions to be answered. Or even right a letter to the editor about the lack of Council response to a Council funded survey.

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Andy they sound like great ideas? Maybe you could write the letter to the editor?

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What can us Brisbane.. ites? do in the mean time?

We will be waiting a while it seems for any action to take place.

scooter

Likes Bikes
The results of the survey have been out for a little while now, but it doesn't seem like council has been doing much to let anyone know about it. You can check it all out here.

I've received a pretty useless response from Cr Matic, and have written back in again pointing out the community support for mtb access to council bushland/rec reserves. Given that council are actively stating on their website that "It is understood that surveys can have their own limitations and Council will not be relying solely on the results of this survey to develop its management approach." I would encourage anyone who is interested in this issue to write to Cr Matic/their local councillor/Cr Newman/the editor of their local paper and make them aware of your feelings about mtb access.

As long as we are docile and passively take whatever council deals us we will never get what we deserve because of noisier smaller interest groups like SOB and B4C. While I understand that most people don't have enough time on their hands to lobby in the same aggressive fashion as these interest groups, it only takes a few minutes to bang out an email or two asking your representatives what is going on with this issue. You never know, those few minutes could lead to a few more kilometres of sustainable trail...

J

JaRedy

Page 6 Point 4, 5 in the summary.

Generally, there is little opposition from the general community to mountain bike riding in Council bushland
areas. This suggests any program to encourage this activity in Council bushland areas would not receive
resistance providing the appropriate measures are put in place to protect the bushland and ensure the safety
of the general community.
Both the general community and mountain bike riders favour having designated tracks for all activities. The
general community agree it will have a range of positive impacts such as provide a safer environment,
encourage more people into the bushlands and protect wildlife. There is little concern that it will cause issues
such as traffic snarls, reduced parking and attract ‘undesirables’ to the bushland.
That is pretty much what we have been trying to tell them (the council) yeah? Would love to see that first point carried out.

What's the independant survey they talk about on page 8?
How Often They Visit
More likely to visit once a month or once every few months.
I dont know where they got that!

In the final report, page 22 and 23 are interesting, too, because they don't appear biased.

Last edited by a moderator:

scooter

Likes Bikes
Page 6 Point 4, 5 in the summary.
What's the independant survey they talk about on page 8?
My understanding is that council also undertook another survey on this subject to compare to the main survey. I believe they randomly selected people who lived near BCC recreational areas and asked them similar questions to those in the main survey.

If I was cynical I might suggest that council did this in the hope of tapping a more anti-mtb attitude as they would be sampling the general population rather than a self-selected group who were willing to log on to a website and fill in a survey about mountain biking. Luckily council has treated us so well in the past and answers queries so fully and promptly that I could never doubt their good intentions. :rolleyes:

I'm still waiting for a further response from Cr Matic, and I am happy to report that other people I have encouraged to contact him seem to be getting brushed off as well. I would encourage anyone who reads this to contact him at toowong.ward@ecn.net.au or on 3407 2837 and see for yourself. Maybe you'll be the lucky winner of a factual, timely, and informative response.