Attorney-General George Brandis set to crack down on illegal downloading

indica

Serial flasher
Attorney-General George Brandis set to crack down on illegal downloading of show such as Game of Thrones
Good luck with that.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/o...-game-of-thrones/story-fnjwneld-1226960063776

Australia is the worst offender in the world when it comes to online piracy and the Federal Government has plans to crack down on the practice.
Perhaps screening content in a timely manner will help?

it could become your internet provider’s legal responsibility to try to prevent you downloading illegally, whereas currently they have no such responsibility. ISPs could then introduce a so-called graduated response scheme, which means repeat offenders could be hit with formal warnings.
You tried that and failed.

Fools.
The Walking Dead? only just being shown on TV.
Orange is the New Black? is that on anywhere?

stoo

Likes Dirt
We bought Walking Dead, Orange is the new black etc. on the Apple TV or DVD or both but since they won't give me GOT on Apple for this series I'm stealing it, fuck 'em. I'll buy it anyway when it comes out on DVD but I'm not paying for Foxtel crap!

Ivan

Eats Squid
They are only looking after their donors. The LNP are supposed to be pro market, but continue to support international companies ripping us off by maintaining their monopolies.

2012\2013 financial year political donations

DonorRecipientAmount ($AUD)
Village Roadshow LimitedLiberal Party of Australia (Federal Secretariat) 120,000
Village Roadshow LimitedLiberal Party of Australia (VIC Division) (paid to Enterprise 50 109,500
Village Roadshow Film Administration Management Pty LtdLiberal Party of Australia (VIC Division) (paid to Enterprise 50 50,000
Village Roadshow LimitedLiberal Party of Australia (VIC Division) 35,504
Village Roadshow LimitedAustralian Labor Party (National Secretariat) 22,000

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/political...rses-policy-accepts-funds-20140210-32cxs.html

Last edited:

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They wont be able to stop it. I cant see ISPs being intrested either. They would be killing a large chunk of their market who have unlimited/big GB plans.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Good luck with that.

I think of you did a community poll on what people are concerned about I don't think illegal downloads would rate very high. I don't want $0.01 of my tax dollars fighting this victimless crime. Go catch pedophiles, drug dealers, dangerous drivers, animal poachers, thieves and all the weirdos performing dirty deeds in our parks. I couldn't care less about anyone downloading music, tv shows or movies.

John U

MTB Precision
They are only looking after their donors. The LNP are supposed to be pro market, but continue to support international companies ripping us off by maintaining their monopolies.

2012\2013 financial year political donations

DonorRecipientAmount ($AUD)
Village Roadshow LimitedLiberal Party of Australia (Federal Secretariat) 120,000
Village Roadshow LimitedLiberal Party of Australia (VIC Division) (paid to Enterprise 50 109,500
Village Roadshow Film Administration Management Pty LtdLiberal Party of Australia (VIC Division) (paid to Enterprise 50 50,000
Village Roadshow LimitedLiberal Party of Australia (VIC Division) 35,504
Village Roadshow LimitedAustralian Labor Party (National Secretariat) 22,000

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/political...rses-policy-accepts-funds-20140210-32cxs.html
Hello Foxtel, hello Rupert Murdoch. Doesn't that douchebag own a fair bit of it. He's one of the motherfuckers pulling this scheidt governments strings.

Very interesting diagram though.

George Brandis is an absolute toe rag. How can this man be our Attorney General? It defies belief.

clydesmcdale

Likes Bikes
Orange is the New Black? is that on anywhere?
On Netflix. Just watched episode 5 of season 2 tonight.

Drop the Foxtel and get in on this... Netflix Australia

Around $13 bucks a month – $8 for the Netflix account and $5 for the magic of an Unblock-Us account to make it all possible. And it’s not just Netflix that this trick works with – you can access any content that is location restricted. This means the joy of accessing services like Hulu, HBO, NBC, MTV, iTV, BBC and more as if you were a local resident. - See more at: http://www.netflixaustralianow.com.au/#sthash.xlRuyZSq.dpuf
Geoblocking is for those that don't know how the internet works.

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
They wont be able to stop it. I cant see ISPs being intrested either. They would be killing a large chunk of their market who have unlimited/big GB plans.

totally agree!!! I'm on a 1Tb plan.... and if they start to implement these (haven't they been talking about this for years?) I'll drop down to the 20gb plan...... more than enough for youtube/emails.

They would be killing a huge portion of their cliental (TPG) who only use them because of their large plans/cheap rates

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I used to get regular emails from TPG about downloading this song or that movie, just a cease and desist order from Sony bmg or the like. They send it out to say hey this company owns that movie, they have reported it to us that you downloaded it illegally and that was it. I don't often download movies or music anymore generally prefer to send the artist some $ through iTunes. But tv shows....I'll always download those as long it's convenient. No ads, watch when you want.... It's a win win.

Sent by courier pigeon

taquar

Likes Dirt
HA!

They can get fucked. If they're going to give me the content I want to watch for an affordable price and the ability to watch it WHEN I FUCKING WANT TO then great, but until then:

They can shove it up their ass, and I'll download what I want when I want, fuckwits. :thumb:

Geoblocking is for those that don't know how the internet works.
That's all well and good, but if they want to, essentially, forbid us from seeing content that is widely available elsewhere in the world, they need to get on board with Netflix and Hulu Plus. I'd gladly fork over my money for a subscription service so I didn't have to go trawling through torrents or having to close popups when trying to watch tv shows online. Yes, I could use the work-arounds and do it now, but why would I when I can get it for free without any real ramifications?

Incidentally, I'm currently in the process of downloading a movie which, you guessed it, was found in a bay filled with pirates.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some of the winging here is a bit ironic given that there is an existing law in place and it is the governments job to make the laws work. Everyone has been on a good run with getting stuff and it was always going to be addressed at some point. I agree with most that there will always be a way around this but I would not want to be the one they make an example of as the only way to address this is via stiffer penalties for the end user.

I think it is a personal sexist attack against Julia Gillard as she is a big game of thrones fan and would be downloading this stuff for free for sure given her dodgy record.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
but since they won't give me GOT on Apple for this series I'm stealing it, fuck 'em. I'll buy it anyway when it comes out on DVD but I'm not paying for Foxtel crap!
Yeah I've been happy to pay for the first 3 seasons on iTunes and would have happily done so again if I had the option but I'm not paying $70 a month for a bunch of stuff I don't want just to get the one thing I do

Best quote I've seen about it , and I can't remember who wrote it or the exact wording but the gist was

It's like going to the shop to buy a pair of socks and being told you can only buy them if you buy the whole bundle which includes shaving cream, a box of tampons, 5 litres of milk, two boxes of out of date saos, an electric drill and a picnic blanket

If any other business tried to do that consumer groups would be all over them. I mean isn't that why Microsoft got sued over bundling explorer with windows?

akashra

Eats Squid
It's not just that they won't give us shows to download at all, it's also that the prices they ask are unreasonable.

I'll happily pay up to $1/episode for a legitemate copy. And this is about the price surveys consistently show people say they would be happy to pay. So what do these idiots do? "$3.50 and episode! Yes, that's the market price. That's what our product is worth".

Yes, that's why it's downloaded by millions of people every week even though you make it available for sale.