AusCycling doesn't just hate MTB...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
It's signs of the time Ozzy, everything is going up in price. The community spirit is long gone in mountain biking, they could apply for grants to make the insurance cheaper but they'd probably buy gold plated trail rakes to award to each other with the money.
I sent them an email and told them they were just as useless as MTBA and to stick it, I'd pay the daily race license.

Just got an email back to say in this special case, they would process it by hand BUT need an email from my club to say I am up to date... which I won't be bothering them with either.

A 1 day race license a couple of times a year is a whole lot cheaper than an annual $190 membership.

Last edited:

notime

Likes Dirt
$35 is just a little bit more expensive than the old $20 MTBA day license but that just sums up the extra value us MTBers get from AusCycling.

Twice the price for half a shit service.
Day license got up to $30 for seniors and $18 for under 18's under MTBA (2019) may have even been a dollar or 2 more at the end.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
You do get some minimal income protection and insurance that covers you if you are injured when you're riding even recreationally with a race licence.
It's not alot but it's better than nothing, or if it's not worth using your own personal income protection or it doesn't cover MTB....something to consider.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
You do get some minimal income protection and insurance that covers you if you are injured when you're riding even recreationally with a race licence.
It's not alot but it's better than nothing, or if it's not worth using your own personal income protection or it doesn't cover MTB....something to consider.
From memory there is something in the fine print of the MTBA/AusCycling insurance policy that means they don't have to pay if you have private health insurance.

ozzybmx

Day license got up to $30 for seniors and $18 for under 18's under MTBA (2019) may have even been a dollar or 2 more at the end.
We all had MTBA Race insurance up until around Sept/Oct 2020.
They stopped all races around March 2020 and MTBA continued to 'flatten' my 3 race memberships over the next ~6 months under the excuse Matty mentioned above, that I was still insured while training for races when they eventually started again.

The $20 figure was just what I remember seeing for day licenses when entering races, my racing days were few and far between in the last couple of years heading up till 2020.
I probably only did 2-3 events a year up until the end of the Outback Epic so the continuation of MTBA insurance and Club Membership was 'just because' I've always had it.
The running down of mine and my boys race licenses in 2020 made me angry and I cancelled my 'habitual' renewal completely.

That's good to hear MTBA we're ripping us for $30 at the end too, makes the AusCycling $35 easier to pay :D

ozzybmx

Broke down.

The thought of paying $35 a day for racing insurance :mad:

3 x Race off-road memberships for $535 and saved $72 for 3 family memberships.

You also have to be affiliated with a club to proceed so that was $75 for the 3 x club affiliations.

Will see how this year goes, the boys will easily do 5 races to cover their membership cost but I need to do 6 which I cant see happening :p

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Broke down.

The thought of paying $35 a day for racing insurance :mad:

3 x Race off-road memberships for $535 and saved $72 for 3 family memberships.

You also have to be affiliated with a club to proceed so that was $75 for the 3 x club affiliations.

Will see how this year goes, the boys will easily do 5 races to cover their membership cost but I need to do 6 which I cant see happening :p
I know it's a bummer, but as mentioned, there is also some insurance in there as well. My wife was grateful for it when she did her collarbone and I've always thought it useful for the liability insurance. The story of the poor bastard (MTBer I think?) who got sued by the road rider for her ongoing medical expenses was terrible. He had no cover and was looking at having to sell his home. It helps her father was a lawyer, but she had crashed into him....

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I know it's a bummer, but as mentioned, there is also some insurance in there as well. My wife was grateful for it when she did her collarbone and I've always thought it useful for the liability insurance. The story of the poor bastard (MTBer I think?) who got sued by the road rider for her ongoing medical expenses was terrible. He had no cover and was looking at having to sell his home. It helps her father was a lawyer, but she had crashed into him....
That's the selling point on the social rides we set up. It's a pain in the arse to get them to sign up but the peace of mind is worth it

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
...ye olde track race canned:

I did make the suggestion to these guys to look for private insurance for the event. Unfortunately they are all getting on a bit and it's a small group that run it and I suppose it's all too hard.

As a past club president I have always found that the only reason for having to deal with MTBA was for insurance for racing, we had no use for them otherwise. AusCycling is the same really.

ozzybmx

My wife was grateful for it when she did her collarbone and I've always thought it useful for the liability insurance.
I held MTBA insurance from 2008 till 2020 when they smashed my 3 memberships during the first Corona panic.

All 3 of us have done collarbones and several other injuries... how did the insurance help out ?

The $35 day fee is enough to put casual racers off racing at all.
World has gone mad, soon insurance costs will make events not worth running.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Looks like the Gravity Enduro National Champs was a first to enter online gets a place, not the best from each state.

There's a lot of pissed of riders out there.

I kind of always knew that AusCycling will always be an Olympic focused entity and the rest of the sports will just be a way to fund it all.
It should be more focused on the largest participation sports, not just the Olympic ones.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I'm glad I don't race and give these idiots my money, I've brought at least 10 kids from the age of 5 to 12 up this trails, and they don't even struggle to get over the features.

1671109536130.png

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I'm glad I don't race and give these idiots my money, I've brought at least 10 kids from the age of 5 to 12 up this trails, and they don't even struggle to get over the features.

View attachment 395330
Legitimately, a lv0 (foundations) instructor can't teach on a blue and be covered by insurance, it's greens only. Sort of fair enough, the course is very basic, lv1 is a far more comprehensive accreditation.

Changing an existing trail to suit this is utterly ridiculous though, I'm sure there's a ton of firetrails around that you can practice braking and body position on

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk