Aussie Slang

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
'ken oath
farken hell
old mate (personal favourite)

i know i use many more than just those, but its a real subconscious thing, so i can't remember all of them

nizai

Likes Dirt
The funniest thing I heard the other day at Bunnings was a Canadian guy saying "If i use this type of paint, wont every imperfection stick out like dogs balls?"

LOL! Obviously been in the country for a while to pick up the lingo :)

N

fattyandthepiemakers

I ride an STP
When I moved up from Victoria years ago I had no idea what a Nikko or a Popper were. A term that is used a lot up here is "True!" and "Oi". I never really used those terms until I moved up here. Maybe it's just me? Anyone in Victoria know what a nikko is?

Ohh, and "Mad Slash" is my favourite ATM.

m_g

Likes Dirt
I'm not 100% sure these are Aussie, but they sure sound it....I reckon they're tops...

It'd kill a brown dog (as in, this food tastes like s&^t)
Head like a robbers dog (an ugly person)

GravityGuru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Heard this one explained once. I'll see if I can remember it correctly. (May not be true)
It originated in the days of sailing ships. Cannon balls were stored in a brass 'gutter' or 'monkey',where they could be rolled safely to the cannon. In cold climates the brass would freeze and contract at a greater rate than the iron balls 'Freezing the balls IN the brass monkey'. The saying evolved from there.
Close! There were indentations in the brass not "gutters" so when the brass shrunk the balls would fall out.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/b/brassmonkeys.htm

Edit: or on the other hand... it could be a load of shit http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bra1.htm

Customjimmy

Likes Dirt
Any other old bastards remember the community service ads on TV promoting the use of the ubiquitous Australian greeting that aired (probably) in the early '80's?
That was Paul Hogan for the tourism commission. I can only remember little bits - something like 'be polite to visitors, don't have to rent out the spare room, just flash the pearly whites!"

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Seriously though, why do Qld'ers call every texta a nikko even if it's an Artline? :confused:
why do victorians call every nikko a texta? texta is only one brand, too..

and for the record, a "texta" is actually one of those wind out crayon things.. bloody victorians..

Raw Toast Man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone in Victoria know what a nikko is?
i had no idea until i moved up here from Victoria as well

why do victorians call every nikko a texta? texta is only one brand, too..

and for the record, a "texta" is actually one of those wind out crayon things.. bloody victorians..
no im pretty sure your WRONG leitch! its called a texta coz it is a texta not a nikko pen gah bloody queenslanders! make me sick with the stupid rugby
Victorian pride!
my word is "dunny"

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
no im pretty sure your WRONG leitch! its called a texta coz it is a texta not a nikko pen gah bloody queenslanders! make me sick with the stupid rugby
Victorian pride!
pfft.. i bet you call your togs "bathers", dont you?

dr.matt

Likes Dirt
a few roo's loose in the top paddock (nutter)

threw a leg over the missus (do i have to explain :p)

beyond the black stump (a place far away)

dr.matt

Likes Dirt
had a techni coloured yawn
spew
called god on the porcelain phone (all to do with vomiting obviously)

chuck a sicky, which could sound like it fits in with the above but doesn't!

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When I moved to South Australia, it was like moving to Uzbekistan. Nobody had any idea what I was talking about, and vice versa. Face washers are flannels, power poles are stoby poles, luncheon meat is fritz, togs are bathers, nikko's are felt pens, poppers are fruit boxes...

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I suppose 'Crikey' is aussie slang as well becuase of Steve.
Ahhh no. Cricky far out dates Steve marketing it for personal gain.

Slammed like a dunny door in the wind.
Up the duff?
Crap,Crappa(from an Aussie nammed Crap who invented the flushing toilet I think).
Dry as a dead dingoes donga.
Blowy
Silly ol Duffer.
Fairdinkum(actually barstadised Chineese from the gold rush days).
She's got her rags.
Durry,Dart,.
Donkey root(lighting durry off a durry).
Sheela.
Root.