Australia Day, is January 26th the right day?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Sorry for the long post but I think this is a subject worthy of discussion and some background, albeit long background, is appropriate.

January 26th is Australia Day, coincidentally India Republic Day, and for many indigenous Australians Invasion Day.

A brief history of the date from various interweb sources:

As we know on January 26th, 1788 Capt. Arthur Phillip, in charge of a fleet of 11 British ships carrying convicts, established a colony in what would become Australia.

January 26th was not celebrated nationwide until 1994. There was the rum rebellion in 1808 but otherwise January 26th had no special meaning. In part at least because January 26th was seen as the establishment of New South Wales and not significant to other states as they came into being. Tasmania held Regatta Day in December to mark the anniversary of the landing of Abel Tasman. South Australia had Proclamation Day on December 28th and Western Australia had Foundation Day on June 1st.

In 1888 all states except South Australia celebrated Anniversary Day. South Australia followed suit in 1910 as Foundation Day which took the place of Accession Day which was January 22nd which recognised the accession to the throne of King Edward VII who died in 1910.
The first Australia Day was established in 1915 as a response to Australia’s involvement in the war to end all wars, part 1. The date chosen was July 30th. It was held in following years to 1918 in July though the actual day varied.

Victoria adopted January 26th as Australia Day in 1931 and by 1935 all states were celebrating January 26th though it was still known as Foundation Day and/or Anniversary Day in part.

In 1994 all states and territories agreed to establish a public holiday on January 26th and celebrate this date as Australia Day.
For Indigenous Australians January 26th holds a different meaning as the date when their land and ancient culture was affected by British colonisation. In something like 140 years there have been over 300 massacres of Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders documented. Unknown others likely occurred with overall many thousands of people killed.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders seem to agree that it is appropriate to celebrate our nation and the contributions of all Australians by connecting as family, friends and community as long as we do so with respect and understanding to recognise our cultural diversity and heritage. The problem for our Indigenous Australians is the date.

For a number of years there has been a movement to change the date, what are the options?

January 1st marks the Federation of Australia but coincides with New Year’s Day,

January 19th is a made up date based on Federation in 01/01/1901,

March 3rd, Independence Day to mark the enacting of the Australia Act in 1986,

April 25th, Anzac Day,

May 8th, a bit of bullshit to make a date from ‘maaaate’ and the day before the opening of Federal parliament on May 9th,

May 9th, Federal parliament opening in Canberra,

May 27th, Anniversary of the 1967 referendum which allowed for Indigenous Australians to be included in the national census (and other),

July 9th, the date when Queen Victoria accepted the Constitution of Australia

September 1st, Wattle day, first day of spring…,

October 24th, Tenterfield Oration day when Sir Henry Parkes gave his speech at Tenterfield which set the course for federation,

December 3rd, Eureka Stockade uprising in 1854,

And one I thought of which is the day when Capt. Cook and the Bama people reconciled their differences on July 19th, 1770. The Bama people wanted Cook to return the female turtles they had caught to the wild but Cook misinterpreted this as the locals wanting to take all the turtles and fish that Cook’s crew had caught. One local was shot and spears were thrown but eventually the parties reconciled their differences and Reconciliation Rocks in Cooktown marks the spot where Cook and the Bama people sat together again.

What are your thoughts?

moorey

call me Mia
26 Jan is just too divisive I reckon. Genuinely hurtful to indigenous people I know, and most who want to keep it are just from the ‘fuck your feelings, I’m celebrating with coon, Chico’s and fags’ crew.

I don’t have an answer for a better date, I’d prefer first Australians to choose one if they want to.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I think the date should change. I am not so sure of which date though since you can probably find something offensive about all 366 days. I listened to some comments yesterday while tractoring from various indigenous Australians and it seems they were all in favour of a day to celebrate the country and its peoples just not Jan 26. Happy for that. I think the alternative dates above have knobs on them too for various reasons. If you have an idea for a date suggest it. My best effort is July 19th and that is pretty average at best.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Okay my 2c: if a substantial proportion of the population (who can trace their ancestry here to a touch longer than anyone else) find a day of meant for unity and national celebration to be actively counterproductive and divisive then it's not really Australia Day imo.

Nfi how you change the date without enraging another substantial slab of the population who don't see any problem with it or feel any change as "political correctness gone mad."

Technically should be January 1st anyway, that's when "Australia Day" is actually the most literal. January 26 is really "NSW Day" or "Sydney Day."

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
‘Aussies’ will never abide by a winter date, that’s not Strayan!
All the dates you listed (@dales) have pros and cons, like you say. I’d like to hear suggestions of dates relevant to indigenous people, though they may not be ones that they want coopted by red necks and bogans.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
cant see the harm in changing it. It doesnt offend me where it is and i've never called it invasion day, but its clearly shit for some people so why not change it. The cheese crusaders out there will harp on about it having other meanings than the settlement, so again why not just change it? To most of us its a day off work (or on penalty rates), and an excuse to wear a flag around our shoulders and drink beer through a funnel and cook dead animals till they're black. christmas without the prezzies. the date means nothing.

I was talking with wifey about it last night, and i likened it to if ze germans celebrated the start of WW2. As a descendent of polish jews, i'd find that offensive and i'd definitely have a stick up my ass about it if they did that. But they dont, so i have zero issue with germanese people and i'm good to get on with life. Might be harder for our natives, there's a lot more at play for them than me, but its a step towards leaving the past behind.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Could hear artillery shells being let off over near the lake. Because nothing brings a nation together in peace and harmony like a bunch of big guns designed to kill people...

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I think the date should change. I am not so sure of which date though since you can probably find something offensive about all 366 days. I listened to some comments yesterday while tractoring from various indigenous Australians and it seems they were all in favour of a day to celebrate the country and its peoples just not Jan 26. Happy for that. I think the alternative dates above have knobs on them too for various reasons. If you have an idea for a date suggest it. My best effort is July 19th and that is pretty average at best.
Just thinking out loud, but maybe just the last monday of jan each year? we'd get to celebrate the way we like each year, have a proper long weekend, have a day without a date, and once every now and then we can choose to lament the coming of the europeans on the 26th or celebrate our bogan cheese origins on the 26th - everyones a winner?

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just thinking out loud, but maybe just the last monday of jan each year?
this seems like the best way forward - remove the link from the date but not have any downside in terms of weather or proximity to school terms and holidays. Anyone who complained about it moving 1-2 days would sound pretty silly when it will always be a long weekend. Whatever we do just make sure it is not in football season or the codes will try and take it over in their usual cheesy way

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Definitely the 1st of January. Why the hell do we want to celebrate the founding of a penal colony? Also why do we want to go out of our way to annoy indigenous Australia when we owe them so much?

Much better to celebrate the founding of the modern nation and the cutting of the umbilical cord.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
I dunno, reckon it needs to be a date completely s disassociated with 26 Jan. October, for no good reason. Weather improving, a break in the last school term, less fire danger from campfires and fireworks (all from a very SE Aus perspective sorry)

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Totally agree...Can't see the point of filling up the back of the Commo ute with ice and shit beer and firing up the jetski in mid-winter!..although I can imagine the size of the bonfires we could all build in each and every backyard in Straya!
I like the story behind the 19th of July, if they could sit down and work shit out back then, even with the language barrier, why can't we get it to work now?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
All the dates you listed (@dales) have pros and cons, like you say. I’d like to hear suggestions of dates relevant to indigenous people, though they may not be ones that they want coopted by red necks and bogans.
Winter isn't on that date in Q...
;)

I guess it shows my poor education that I knew of Reconciliation Rocks but not why and certainly not the whole story from both parties.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Fuck your feelings. ;)

I’m not a big Rudd fan, but 13th Feb marking the apology to the Stolen Generation was a big step forward that no other leader seemed interested in acknowledging before, and most still won’t now.
It’s close to, but separate enough from 26/1..... just thinking aloud.
No way...that is my best mates birthday, he doesn't deserve a public holiday!