Australia Day, is January 26th the right day?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
ok, but I propose that we ditch the flag stuff and just have a public holiday in the last weekend of every January

"Fuckit Monday". People don't like mondays anyway, by and large, so a non-specific long weekend to mourn the summer holidays ending and/or celebrating the kids going back to school seems to be in order. :)

Nah man...make it a Friday. Most hospitality gigs are shut on Monday anyway and don't we all agree those peeps pouring the juices that make us happy and functional deserve a day of penalty rates?

The date is wrong and so is pretty much everything about Australia day, whether formal or informal. Moving forward can't be achieved without recognition and reconciliation, and too many Australians still don't recognise the issues needing reconciliation. Further to that we need to have a culture that upholds and builds inclusivity of first nations people right through to the newest Australians and those who are seeking to become Australians. While we imprison and persecute people for arriving here by the wrong means of transportation and threaten to send children born here "home" or have immense gaps in access to health care education employment opportunity and even life expectancy these remain lofty ambitions that aren't being shared by all of us.

I'll add that Howard was a master of fostering division and forcing people into polar positions. He and his cronies spent a long time hammering this wedge into our minds and it has persisted with the help of his disciples that came after.

Oh and all you lefty leaning jjj alt rockers of the past can't overlook the role of the big day out and jjj in cementing January 26 as a day to celebrate and look forward to in the minds of youth across close to 30 years.

And every Friday should be a public holiday damn it!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
In true aussie bludger fashion, I'm happy to move AUstralia day provided, we get to keep the day off on Jan 26. I move that we should also have an indigenous day and elevate that to a public holiday and need to be more inclusive and have one for indians, chinese and african migrants. So that's 5 extra holidays per year, more if we identify more migrant groups.
As a member of Australia's Scottish community I move that we recognise Burns night (25th January) as a cause for national celebration and we can have the 26th off to deal with the resulting whisky-induced hangovers.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
As a member of Australia's Scottish community I move that we recognise Burns night (25th January) as a cause for national celebration and we can have the 26th off to deal with the resulting whisky-induced hangovers.
A quick read of the link tells me these can be held on any night of the year...and there is no detail specifying it can only be held once per annum either. So on the spirit of feasting and whisky, why limit celebration to just his birthday?