Australian Special Forces, SAS.

MTBmaster05

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, Just wondering if anyone on here is in SF, such as Commando, SAS, Tag team. If you are Please let me, i have a few questions i would like to discuss with someone of experience and not someone who ''may'' have an idea. Thanks A lot.

jackmac91

Likes Dirt
If your after an idea of the training of some of the actual action, A guy named keith Fennel wrote a couple of books called Warrior Training and Warrior brothers. One is about the Selection course and ongoing training, the other is about some of the actual missions. He's note the greatest wrighter or anything but its an insiders account of what goes on. check it.

EDIT; the dude is ex SASR by the way :)

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So what info do you want to know?
As I have trained some SASR personnel (currently have 1 at work now), I know they dont like to talk freely about what they do Exactly.........

scuba05

Likes Dirt
If your after an idea of the training of some of the actual action, A guy named keith Fennel wrote a couple of books called Warrior Training and Warrior brothers. One is about the Selection course and ongoing training, the other is about some of the actual missions. He's note the greatest wrighter or anything but its an insiders account of what goes on. check it.

Read Warrior Training as well. Quite a good read, and gives you a good idea of how hard it is just to get a go in the selection course, not to mention how hard it is to actually pass the test.

Along with that, I've read 'Amazing SAS: The inside story of Aust Spec Forces' & 'Soldiers Without Borders' by Ian McPhedron which gives you a pretty good idea of what the SAS does and how they do it (including selection), and also what they do after they leave the army.

If you haven't already read these books, they would be a good place to start. I have become quite fascinated over this section of the Army, and am reading quite a few of the books about them (and their British counterparts).

From what I have read in the books, many of them don't like to talk about their experiences, but it you do happen to know someone, you may be able to extract some information from them (although you might want to give confrontation or torture a miss, they are highly trained!). At the end of the day, these guys are the cream of the crop, and are only used in the most delicate of scenarios. The work they do is pretty well guarded (even to family), so they may not be able to talk much about what they did, but only give you an idea of what to expect if it is a course you want to pursue.

What I'm saying is don't be suprised if you can't find anyone that has been in these regiments. They are few and far between. Even if you do find someone, it might be like drawing blood from a stone asking some questions. The best bet would be to read up about them (especially books written by ex-SAS guys), like the ones above, and going from there.

EDIT: Watch the videos posted above. Will give you plenty of info. (Im sitting down to watch them now!)

sam705

Likes Dirt
My mates workmate has been partially trained for the SAS or similar. Whether or not he speaks truth or not, i still find it interesting!
My mate told me all this a while ago and i've only got a faint memory of it. They train you in absolutely everything. One was pain tolerance and not giving up vital information, they place you in a room by yourself tied up, as if you're being held hostage. Blindfolded with no idea whats going on, and physically assault you over a period of time. He came out with numerous broken bones just from training itself. Very rarely did anyone pass this stage, he did but the latter stages became all to much for him and he quit.
Not for the faint hearted!

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Andy McNab has a similar range of books, really interesting stuff. SAS workers are basically prohibited from identifying themselves whilst they are still serving, and especially wouldn't on an online forum! Hence why their faces are always blurred in photos.

martinpb

Likes Dirt
seen some urine that came from the MoD for analysis - it wasn't yellow and had solid bits in it...

could have been from the giant mutant 'roos that they're training to jump up and swat low flying stealth fighters, or maybe not :)

hungrytiger

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, Just wondering if anyone on here is in SF, such as Commando, SAS, Tag team. If you are Please let me, i have a few questions i would like to discuss with someone of experience and not someone who ''may'' have an idea. Thanks A lot.
There is no way that you would get anyone with direct experience to talk about this on or off a public forum. That said, there was a recent documentary on SBS which shows 'some' of the selection process if you think you're up to it : http://www.sbs.com.au/documentary/program/sasthesearchforwarriors/episode

shakes

Likes Dirt
My mates workmate has been partially trained for the SAS or similar. Whether or not he speaks truth or not, i still find it interesting!
My mate told me all this a while ago and i've only got a faint memory of it. They train you in absolutely everything. One was pain tolerance and not giving up vital information, they place you in a room by yourself tied up, as if you're being held hostage. Blindfolded with no idea whats going on, and physically assault you over a period of time. He came out with numerous broken bones just from training itself. Very rarely did anyone pass this stage, he did but the latter stages became all to much for him and he quit.
Not for the faint hearted!
Have seen some of the training these guys first hand. And my dad worked beside a guy who had been deployed with the SAS a number of times.... My old man is one of the annoying people that can get stories out of anyone, he got very very few out of this bloke apart from a few slightly humourus ones. Even after working side by side and having a pretty good relation for close to 2 years.

It was simply part of his life he didn't want to divulge