Australia's Olympians looking for change of fortune at UCI Mountain Bike World Cup‏

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Olympian Jared Graves is hoping it will be third time lucky when he seeks victory in the weekend’s (August 30-31) UCI Mountain Bike World Cup Four Cross (4X) at Canberra’s t Stromlo Forrest Park.

In Beijing Graves missed out on Olympic BMX glory when a South African rider crashed, taking the Aussie and any chance of a medal with him. The Toowoomba based rider was also unceremoniously bumped out in the final of the World 4X Championships in Italy.

“Beijing was a little bit of déjà vu,” said Graves. “But I’ve had runs of good luck and runs of bad luck and you can’t dwell on it. You’ve just got to move on.

“I know I can win any race I enter, but I haven’t had my day of winning the big races yet.”

Four cross is one of three mountain bike disciplines being contested at Mt Stromlo, with downhill and X-Country races also being staged over the newly configured World Cup courses.

Over 280 domestic and international cyclists will contest the event, many fresh from Beijing.

Elite racing action gets underway at 9am on Saturday with training for the big guns of the downhill, ahead of the women’s X- Country at 11am and the men’s X-Country at 2pm. The action continues into the evening with live entertainment ahead of the four cross finals (4X) held under-lights at 8pm.

Sunday’s racing will see the semi-finals of the World Cup downhill at 10.30am followed by best local short track Cross Country riders. At 2.30pm the world’s best downhill riders take on the mountain for the finals.

Graves is not the only Olympian looking for some redemption in the 4X. Sydney’s Luke Madill is also seeking a victory to erase the some tough Olympic memories.

The reigning Australian 4X champion, who famously built a replica of the Olympic BMX course in his “backyard,” had his dream of a Beijing Games medal shattered when he was outed after the first round of the BMX event.

Unlike BMX, 4X involves only four riders in a 450m downhill duel over jumps, traps and break neck berms and corners.

However with Graves predicting that the 4X course would suit the BMX riders, all may not be lost.

“I think some of the strong BMX riders will do really well here,” predicted Graves, who won his last World Cup 4X outing in Fort Williams Scotland in May.

“The first straight is long and pedally, and really suits BMX riders. The course is also smooth like a BMX circuit.

“Luke Madill’s going to be tough to beat, and Sam Willoughby (South Australia), who’s the junior world champion, will also do really well,” added Graves, who lies 13th on the World Cup standings.

The Australians main international opposition will come from Spanish World Champion Rafael Alvarez De Lara Lucas, who also heads the World Cup standings, Germany’s creative Guido Tschugg and perennial American Brian Lopes – who boasts six World Cup titles and four World Championships.

Australia is also seeking a medal in the women’s 4X with Canberra school girl Caroline Buchanan looking a strong chance for a podium finish, and Beijing BMXer Tanya Bailey also in the hunt.

Australian 4X champion, Buchanan is hoping some inside knowledge of Canberra’s infamous weather and plenty of time on her “home” track might improve her chances of a podium finish.

“I think the cold weather here could catch some of the riders by surprise,” said Buchan. “I’m not sure if the riders from the other countries will be prepared for the cold.

“I think being a local and getting out on this track all time – gives me some more knowledge about the best lines to take in all weather conditions,” the 17-year-old added.

Australia is also a strong medal chance in the men’s downhill – with Perth’s two time world champion Sam Hill leading the World Cup standings. Hill has a narrow 128 point lead over Britain’s reigning world champion Gee Atherton, and will be looking for a win claim the his third World Cup title and the physiological high ground head of next year’s world championships on the same course.

However the 2.3km event is not a two horse race with Australian Nathan Rennie, Jared Rando and Chris Kovarik eager to make their mark.

In the men’s X-Country event all eyes will be watching the ever popular Geoff Kabush (CAN) with his trade mark sideburns and Olympic Bronze medallist and under 23 World Champion Swiss rider, Nino Schurter . The technical nature of Stromlo will provide New Zealander Kashi Leuchs with his chance to shine on the world stage.

The absence of four time world champion, Absalon will leave the World Cup wide open, but the Kabush, Schurter and Leuchs are all bound to be tested on the new course, which features the tortuous Cardiac Climb and sobering Cadaver Corner.

The women’s field will be will be one of the hottest on record with Olympic Bronze Medallist Russia’s Irina Kalentieva, tackling Four time world champion Gunn-Rita Dahle Flesjaa (Nor) on the comeback trail will also be keen to bounce back from her disappointing Olympic campaign.

Australia’s hopes in X-Country rest with Theresa Rhodes, Joanna Wall and Zoe King and Olympian Daniel O,Connell and Chris Jongewaard.

Anna Wallin
IRPR