Avalanche Woodie stroke

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
Hello there
I recently bought an Avalanche Woodie and the stroke has been reduced from 2.75" to 2.5". The guy hadn't done this himself so he was unsure of how to get it back, any ideas? I'm finding it confusing because if there was an internal spacer the i2i would change (Shock shaft is actually 2.5" long)
And does anyone have an idea of the oil weight to use in it, and the amount? All I could get from the makers of the shock was "motorbike shock oil" and "bike shops will know how much"

Help would be greatly appreciated

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Wow...that is especiailly helpful of them! If you haven't already disposed of the oil that was in the shock, drain it into a measuring cup and you will have a bit of a guide for volume. Put the shock in front of the heater of similar to make sure the oil is warm and runny so you get plenty of it out.

If still stumped try the guys at Brooklyn machine works, if they still exist. In the olden days they used to run avalanche forks and shocks on their bikes.

Have you put a post up on mtbr or pink bike? You
right get lucky there...

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So you have taken the shock apart?
Did you measure the IFP depth before you drained it?

And you seriously got a shitty answer like that when you contacted Avalanche?

They use Golden spectro in their fork cartridge, so possibly he uses it in his shocks as well.
Or get yourself some Silkolene Pro RSF 5wt and 10wt and mix oil weights until it feels good...

I reckon you'll have to send this to Avalanche for a service, as only they will know what weight oil and the depth to set the IFP in the reservoir.

Dymalla

Likes Dirt
Pretty sure your shock has a travel reducer.
Avalanche have 5 different eyelet lengths to configure your desired eye to eye.
The Woodie has a bladder rather than a IFP.....fill it up,cycle the air out, drop in the bladder, 150psi
Can't help with oil but Silkolene Pro RSF5 would be a good place to start

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
Wow...that is especiailly helpful of them! If you haven't already disposed of the oil that was in the shock, drain it into a measuring cup and you will have a bit of a guide for volume. Put the shock in front of the heater of similar to make sure the oil is warm and runny so you get plenty of it out.

If still stumped try the guys at Brooklyn machine works, if they still exist. In the olden days they used to run avalanche forks and shocks on their bikes.

Have you put a post up on mtbr or pink bike? You
right get lucky there...
Lost a lot of the oil, so can't do that unfortunately

Just email avalanche, they usually communicate pretty quickly.

Sent from my ZTE T83 using Tapatalk
I'll have to try again
So you have taken the shock apart?
Did you measure the IFP depth before you drained it?

And you seriously got a shitty answer like that when you contacted Avalanche?

They use Golden spectro in their fork cartridge, so possibly he uses it in his shocks as well.
Or get yourself some Silkolene Pro RSF 5wt and 10wt and mix oil weights until it feels good...

I reckon you'll have to send this to Avalanche for a service, as only they will know what weight oil and the depth to set the IFP in the reservoir.
"Same as MX shocks, the service place will know."
Pretty sure your shock has a travel reducer.
Avalanche have 5 different eyelet lengths to configure your desired eye to eye.
The Woodie has a bladder rather than a IFP.....fill it up,cycle the air out, drop in the bladder, 150psi
Can't help with oil but Silkolene Pro RSF5 would be a good place to start
agh well I'll have to leave it at 2.5", it's got a vivid eyelet because the avalanche ones dont fit my demo (forgot to take pressure out before changing eyelets, oil went everywhere)
So you're saying instead of an exact measurement, I could just fill it up and drop the bladder in, pushing all the extra oil out? That's how it's done with Vivid shocks

thanks everyone for the help

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Have you spoken with the suspension guys who advertise on here? Ns dynamics or something like that I think.

Bump.