Avanti D8 - The Build Begins

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
modifying the frame to fit something bigger in
Sounds like a familiar concept - hope you can carry through with it, would make for interesting results.
As for me, the only modifying I'd do to one is fitting a shorter length shock and using it for a street cruiser, would be pretty stylish :cool:

Ivan

Eats Squid
I finally got a angle finder today and to my surprise....

Head angle = 65.1 degrees

:cool:

dubiousdesigns

Cannon Fodder
Wow. A relatively recent thread!

I just picked one up for $600NZ with monsters, hope bulbs etc.

I'm going to update it and thrash the F**k out of it. I had one a long time ago and I still think it rides just as well as some of the modern designs out there.

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm astonished at how light that shock is. Shock bodies alone are usually around 500g and then a biggish steel spring can clock a kilo! Old Vanilla's must have been full of helium. Sweet rig mate. There are a few old school DH frames that can still hold their own amongst the newer stuff.

n2o spark

Likes Dirt
i've got a D8 too. basic build, quote a bit of flex from the rear stays, but i find it helps the bike track instead of skip about.

rides well, but mines 20kg all up ( wan't going for a super light build though )

i love it, as it handles so well for such an old bike, doesn't pedal well though, but i guess few single pivots do.
i'll have to post some pics later :)

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow, I remember this thread.

I picked up a D8 frame about 6 months ago in a somewhat dilapidated condition. Honestly one of the nicest bikes I've ever ridden, and aside from the lengthy stays, I love it. The rear end flexes a bit, but going to bolt up did make a big difference.

Oh, and to Ivan; I'm not sure if you remember the chainguide conundrum, what with only half an SRS fitting and all, but a solution presented itself:

A new SRS+ chainguide fits perfectly with the ISCG adaptor plate flush against the frame, with 2 spacers in between that and the BB cup.

However, as I experienced, if you have an XT BB with relatively short threads it will strip it in no time. So the solution was a spinlde spacer. Long story short, it works.

Lemme know if you'd like some photographical evidence. ;)

dubiousdesigns

Cannon Fodder
I'd like some if you've got it. ;)

I bought mine because I wanted something steel that works. Pity there's FA in that way available these days.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Wow, I remember this thread.

I picked up a D8 frame about 6 months ago in a somewhat dilapidated condition. Honestly one of the nicest bikes I've ever ridden, and aside from the lengthy stays, I love it. The rear end flexes a bit, but going to bolt up did make a big difference.

Oh, and to Ivan; I'm not sure if you remember the chainguide conundrum, what with only half an SRS fitting and all, but a solution presented itself:

A new SRS+ chainguide fits perfectly with the ISCG adaptor plate flush against the frame, with 2 spacers in between that and the BB cup.

However, as I experienced, if you have an XT BB with relatively short threads it will strip it in no time. So the solution was a spinlde spacer. Long story short, it works.

Lemme know if you'd like some photographical evidence. ;)
Yeah, would love some pics and a write up. I have just had a top guide machined up to match the original guide, but as you know, things ain't that easy. I ended up with one spacer + ISCG adapter on the drive side, and one spacer on the non-drive side. With this setup I have also had to put a washer between the top chain guide body and the main pivot. There is still lots of rubbing going on, so much so that I don't need to put a card in my spokes.

Welshy, I did consider trying three spacers on the drive side only just last week, but got scared when I noticed how few threads would be holding the BB cup in. I'm glad I didn't now, but I'm certainly keen to hear your solution in more detail. I find that the chainline is best when the cranks are kept as close to the frame as possible, so even though having a full e.13 setup on there would be a dream come true as far as chain retention and quietitude, I'm guessing that the chainline doesn't look so flash?

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here we go Ivan, hope this makes some sense!

Unfortunately, the D8 has no ‘perfect’ set up in the way of drivetrain, thanks to the 68mm BB and the stupidly wide swing arm. No matter what you do, there will always be some compromise in the system; the best you can do is just minimise it.

As you know, I started off following your steps almost to the letter, with the half e.13 on the bottom, and a ghetto piece of plastic bolted to the top. This system worked very well, in fact, I would go so far as to say it was better than that of the complete SRS I’d been running on the old frame. I did the same as you, and spaced out the top plate slightly to keep it closer to the chain ring. After running this for a while, I developed the intelligent idea of turning it into a dodgy LG1 style system. This worked as well, but relied entirely on a zip tie holding the guide at the right angle.

As you know my D8 was looking pretty shitty, and needed a breath of fresh life, so all the ghetto bits and bobs were ditched, and I went in search of a chain guide to fit. My search pulled up two possible contenders, the e.13 SRS+, and the Gamut P30. My first choice was the Gamut, but my LBS happened to have the e.13 in stock at the time, so it was quicker and less painful.

Now, as far as the main pivot bolt up system is on yours, there may be slight complications. To maximise clearance, and minimise headaches I flipped the main pivot bolt around, so the flat head was on the drivetrain side. I am not 100% as to how the frame was assembled from factory, so this may well be the way yours is, if that is the case, ignore this. I did some very slightly ghetto stuff with mine in the way of two 4mm spacers, one on each side, and pressing the bearings to the very outer edges of the swing arm. I then used the standard 6mm bolt with two washers underneath (in a step up style).

So, onto how the drivetrain was set up. Originally, I had it set up with the ISCG plate flat against the frame (with the recessed part facing outwards) with two of the 2.5mm spacers in between that and the BB. This worked great for a few weeks, but my drive side BB kept undoing itself, and I couldn’t work out why. Then, one weekend it came loose again, and as I pulled the crank and spindle out to tighten it, the whole cup came with it, complete with destroyed threads. Fuck.

After much swearing, head scratching and tearful looks a conclusion was reached. First off, one of the 2.5mm spacers was ditched, and so was the plastic sleeve that connects the two cups. I Placed the ISCG adaptor against the frame, the same way it was to begin with, with one 2.5mm spacer in between that and the BB. On the non drive side I ran no spacers. I then installed the e.13 using one set of the 2.5mm (black) spacers. The final step was to use a 5mm headset spacer in between the crank arm and the BB face. This wasn’t the ideal solution, but I had limited choices in the middle of nowhere. As it happens, this worked really well, and still don’t have any problems, but if you were to do it, I would use a proper spindle spacer. ;)

All of this does put the chain line slightly out, and I do get some rubbing on the lower guide in the lowest few gears, but it’s not too bad. If you really want the e.13, do it, but if you aren’t too fussed, and your current set up works, don’t fiddle.

I hope all that helped, and if you do end up giving it a go or just have any more questions, give me a yell and I’ll do my best to help you out. I will get some photos of the set up tomorrow when Mr. Sun comes back up.