Avanti Quantum - thoughts?

HAKS

Likes Bikes
Hi

Anyone here with any experience with the current Avanti Quantum bikes ie. 2009/2010 range? The 2010 2.0 has taken my fancy. Planning on a test ride in the next few days but i'd love to hear any reports. Wheels aren't much of a concern as i have some Fulcrums which will go on straight away.

http://www.avantibikes.com/race-performance-road/quantum-2.aspx?bid=286

* Frame: ADT R3 Carbon, Race Road Geometry
* Fork: ADT R3 Carbon Integrated with 1.5-1 1/8" Steerer
* Front Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra 6700
* Rear Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra 6700
* Brake Levers: Shimano Ultegra 6700
* Shifters: Shimano Ultegra 6700 20-Speed with Shimano Outer Casing
* Crankset: Shimano Ultegra 6700 53/39T
* Brakes: Shimano Ultegra 6700
* Cassette: Shimano 105 12-25T 10-Speed
* Handlebar: Zero Attack Pro-SP 31.8mm
* Grips: Zero Suede Gel Wrap
* Handlebar Stem: Zero Attack Pro 31.8mm
* Rims/Wheel Set: Mavic Ksyrium Equipe Wheelset
* Tyres: Continental Ultra Race 700 x 23c Folding with Superlite Tubes
* Saddle: Zero Atom
* Seat Post: Zero Attack Carbon 31.6mm
* Bottom Bracket: Shimano Dura Ace Press Fit
* Headset: Cane Creek Integrated Aheadset 1-1/8"- 1.5"
* Chain: Shimano 105

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
$3500 is a pretty crowded price point and there are plenty of nice bikes. Have a look around.

If you could get fitted (a lot of shops do this as standard on mid-high end road bikes), with a swap of saddle to something of your choice and a swap of stem as determined by a fit, for say, $3200, that would be pretty hard to beat value.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Generic carbon frame + OK groupset + sh!tty wheels & accessories = premium.
I would sugget that you might have more fun and find it a bit cheaper if you built something up from scratch... you'll also find you invest a bit more emotionally into the bike too.

Find a good frame and start from there

HAKS

Likes Bikes
Sure is a crowded market, got quite a long list of potentials but something keeps pulling me back to the Avanti. Will def be riding them all before a decision. Its a pity most bikes around that price seem to be black.........cause I really don't want another black bike :p. I asked one LBS what they would go to for cash for the Avanti and they wouldn't budge, could only offer some free pedals which don't interest me.

Bike fit is def something I am after with the purchase. From the 2 LBS that stock them I know one def will take the time to fit you up, unsure about the other.

Custom build is out of the question a) $ will blow out and b) don't have the time/effort to source parts etc. If i'm going to spend $3500 I want something I can ride the next day.

Thanks for the comments so far :). Giant/Merida/Cannondale are all on the list as well but there is plenty of ride reports/feedback regarding them on the web already.

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
Generic carbon frame + OK groupset + sh!tty wheels & accessories = premium.
I would sugget that you might have more fun and find it a bit cheaper if you built something up from scratch... you'll also find you invest a bit more emotionally into the bike too.

Find a good frame and start from there
Speaking from recent experience there is more to be had from building up a frame from scratch at this point. However, you have to be ready to wait for weeks for parts to show up, procrastinate over seatpost clamps and spend time reading reviews of brake cables and tubes. I can see why most people don't do this.

The frame isn't great anything more than you'd expect for a bike at this level, but Avanti are an established brand, i've never seen one mysteriously delaminate and their dealers mostly seem like serious enough shops looking to stock something a bit more value. The wheels are decent, quite a bit better than ksyriums which many come with at this level. 6700 is really nice. I like it more than the SRAM I have been riding this year.

At $2999 it is a decent deal. I wouldn't compromise on a free fit. I wouldn't buy a bike, especially a road bike, from a bike that didn't offer full fitting services, and probably not from one that didn't do it included in the price of a $2500+ roadie.

HAKS

Likes Bikes
I like the forks, hence the initial interest :p

Did the rounds today. Rode a TCR1 Adv which was very nice. Lined up a ride of the Merida, Trek and Cannondale ~$4k offerings early next week. The TCR1 def felt better then the Avanti but the Avanti i rode was a size to big. Customer service from the shops I visited today (ie. non Avanti dealers) was outstanding which could work in their favour.

Thanks again for the input.