Avanti Vitale 4 Build

scblack

Leucocholic
Yesterday I picked up an Avanti Vitale 4 (2012) frame which cost me a large $50. Its brand new unridden and is an ex warranty stock frame. I'm going to build it up cheap as a pub bike, or wet crappy days commuter bike.

Here's a pic:
Avanti Vitale 4 frame.jpg

Winging their way from Wiggle is the following:
  • Campagnolo Vento wheels.
  • Veloce cassette 12-25 10spd
  • Record chain 10spd
  • Cinelli Vai XL seatpost
  • Fizik Superlight glossy black bar tape
  • Maxxis Re-Fuse tyres

I already have:
  • Chinarello Dogma carbon fork - hopefully steerer is long enough I haven't measured it yet
  • Campagnolo Centaur carbon groupset 10spd
  • Seat is an ebay carbon one
  • Handlebars are ebay carbon 44cm c-to-c
  • Look delta pedals
  • Carbon bottle cages ebay

Hopefully my headset from the Chinarello can swap onto it - not sure there??? The Chinarello is carbon, the Avanti is alloy - I've never personally fitted a headset they always come with the frame. Anyone know what headset I may need?

I'll have to measure it up once partly built and then decide on a stem for it. Need a seatpost clamp, not sure what size the outer measurement is yet.

I'm looking forward to building this up, nice and cheap but nothing nasty on it and colour scheme looks to be coming along quite nice.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Hopefully my headset from the Chinarello can swap onto it - not sure there??? The Chinarello is carbon, the Avanti is alloy - I've never personally fitted a headset they always come with the frame. Anyone know what headset I may need?
Doubt that the Chinarello headset will fit because most of the carbon ones seem to be integral or integrated (I'm guessing that the Avanti one is traditional) but you never know. Easiest way to determine what you need is measure the top and bottom of the headtube and refer to the technical guides on either the Hope, Cane Creek or Chris King websites. Then pick a Cane Creek 40 series headset.

If you've never fitted a headset then I suggest you get the LBS to do it unless you have the nouse and gear to build a ghetto headset press out of heavy duty threaded rod. Bonging the old one out of a frame is also not for the faint of heart but can be done with a modified piece of PVC pressure pipe if you don't have the required tool.

scblack

Leucocholic
Doubt that the Chinarello headset will fit because most of the carbon ones seem to be integral or integrated (I'm guessing that the Avanti one is traditional) but you never know. Easiest way to determine what you need is measure the top and bottom of the headtube and refer to the technical guides on either the Hope, Cane Creek or Chris King websites. Then pick a Cane Creek 40 series headset.

If you've never fitted a headset then I suggest you get the LBS to do it unless you have the nouse and gear to build a ghetto headset press out of heavy duty threaded rod. Bonging the old one out of a frame is also not for the faint of heart but can be done with a modified piece of PVC pressure pipe if you don't have the required tool.
Thanks I had hoped not to need a shop, but looks like I should, along with my BB fitment.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Headset might be drop in (I also bought an Avanti frame from the same place albeit MTB) so don't go rushing in on the headset yet. A threaded rod is pretty easy solution and costs at most $10, watch some YouTube, it's pretty easy. The star nut might cause some problems but you can bypass by using a fork bung instead. That lease the cassette which most toolkits have a tool for and the bottom bracket which looks threaded so a standard tool kit should have that too. I'm on the 'facing is useless' side so didn't bother with facing. BB fits fine and is straight/concentric.

scblack

Leucocholic
  • Record chain 10spd
  • Maxxis Re-Fuse tyres.
  • These just arrived before lunch, how good is that from Wiggle. By the paid DHL tracked service but geez that's quick.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
My cheapo Avanti MTB build is pushing $900 so far. For some stupid reason I though monstercross would be a good idea.

road to success is by picking the brains of wisdom on those whom have walked the path

Hey SCBlack,

Wondering how your project went ? any chance i could pick your brain as i'm intending on doing something pretty similar to your project and need some guidance please?

first issue would be the forks :p

thanks heaps in advance!
porkupine

Yesterday I picked up an Avanti Vitale 4 (2012) frame which cost me a large $50. Its brand new unridden and is an ex warranty stock frame. I'm going to build it up cheap as a pub bike, or wet crappy days commuter bike.

Here's a pic:
View attachment 297150

• Record chain 10spd
  • Maxxis Re-Fuse tyres

I already have:
  • Chinarello Dogma carbon fork - hopefully steerer is long enough I haven't measured it yet
  • Campagnolo Centaur carbon groupset 10spd
  • Seat is an ebay carbon one
  • Handlebars are ebay carbon 44cm c-to-c
  • Look delta pedals
  • Carbon bottle cages ebay

I'll have to measure it up once partly built and then decide on a stem for it. Need a seatpost clamp, not sure what size the outer measurement is yet.

I'm looking forward to building this up, nice and cheap but nothing nasty on it and colour scheme looks to be coming along quite nice.

scblack

Leucocholic
I have fitted the Power Torque bearing cups, they went on easy by hand and I added plenty of grease.

At this point I guess I will need to tighten the cups. Is that the same tool as a Shimano BB cup tightener?

Anybody near Baulkham Hills got one I can borrow?

I'm looking at YouTube as my reference and not many videos on fitting Power Torque BB/cranks at all.

Is anybody useful with Campy power torque and could lead me in the right direction? I really am trying to make this a cheap build, but most especially learn as much as possible and do as much as possible myself. Maybe that means buying a couple of tools which I am happy with but guidance would be great. I know I'll need to get a 14mm allen key.

scblack

Leucocholic
OK, plenty of parts have landed in my garage:
  • Frame Avanti Vitale 4 $50
  • Wheels Campagnolo Vento $181
  • Front derailleur $52
  • Brake and derailleur cables $55
  • Veloce cassette $45
  • Record chain $43
  • BBB seatclamp $7
  • Seatpost Cinelli Vai $32
  • Bars Cinelli Vai $35
  • Bar tape Fizik $21
  • Stem Cinelli Vai $29
  • Tyres Maxxis ReFuse $60
  • BB tool $17
  • Freight & bits $75

Running total $702

Costing more than I hoped due to:
  • Bars the carbon ones I had, the stem crushed the clamping area without trying.
  • Front derailleur needed due to different tube being alloy, not carbon.
  • Stem thought I would get a matching one for the bars.
  • Tyres was going to go spares in the garage but thought tough ones like ReFuse would last well.
  • BB tool needed.
  • Also going to have to buy a 14mm allen key costing $30 - for probably one use ever.

Now need just headset and I can start piecing together.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
My original build plans were about $700 which would get me something heaps cheaper than what a bike shop could build. The revised monstercross now sits at just a tad under $1k which is still in the realm of impossible for a complete bike. Considering it looks like you got some good parts it's pretty good value.

I understand your frustrations though - If I have to fork out for another tool, bolt, part I'm going to flip. The local Bunnings has seen me turn up with some weird purchases - threaded rods, washers, offcuts of wood. I even went into the store to find a pvc pipe with my fork and race crown. The guy (who had seen for the third time that day) asked me what I wanted to do with the pipe, I explained to him and he said, 'you don't need to buy it, just do it here'. So we grabbed a pvc pipe and just knocked it in with bare hands - no damage to pipe!

Keep the spirits (and bank balance) up and moar pics!

scblack

Leucocholic
Got some pics for you:
New parts: Frame; seatclamp; seatpost; BB cups. Seat and bottle holder are spares.
Avanti frame 2.jpg

Campagnolo Vento Reaction wheels, Maxxis ReFuse tyres.
Campagnolo Vento wheels 2.jpg

Cinelli Vai seatpost, carbon seat (weighs 105gm).
Seat 2.jpg

Chinarello carbon Dogma fork (fake).
Onda fork 2.jpg

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
Bought my ENORMOUS 14mm allen key today to tighten up my cranks:

photo.JPG

Running total was $702 + $25 for this makes $727 so far.

scblack

Leucocholic
Now the cranks are on so I'll give some pics so far. Considering I had no idea of the colour before I bought the frame I think this build is looking awesome for a budget process.

Campagnolo Centaur carbon cranks, fitted myself:
Build 3.jpg

Cinelli Vai Bars and stem.
Build 2.jpg

Build as it is now, I am quite happy with this so far.
Build 1.jpg