Avid 8inch disks

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Has anyone used 8inch Avids? Do they work as well as hydros? How much weight do you save? What compound pads do you use? Are they up to downhillin? How many fingers do you use(no need to be smutty)? How long do pads last? What levers do you use? Thanx

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
I have ridden an 8" set briefly, and they are heaps better than Hayes 8" hydros- they are really snappy but still modulate ok... if i was on a budget that would be my brake of chopice. He was running avid sd 2.0sls i think, but really any avid lever with the speed dial would be perfect

Damo

Likes Dirt
ive been running one for about a year now and ... awesome is the only word. As long as you keep your cables tight and clean they are killer.

The weight is similiar to a 6" hydro system, all the extra weight is in the rotor. The rotor is really tuff too ... has had a few bangs & still runs dead straight.

Increased power is very noticable. Make sure you've got some fat tyres behind it other wise you'll have trouble staying on your bike.

I use EBC gold pads , the absolute best by far, AVID originals are not far behind. They provide smooth and consistant modulation & performance. Pad life is reasonable & similiar to other systems.

My girlfriend's bro bought one of those Armor systems the same time I got the 8". Mine outperforms every single time.

Totally recommended, very powerful, fairly light & very awesome.

Dirt Devil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been running the Avid 8" on the front for about 6 months now. I was runnig a 6" but the switch made a huge difference. I'm using Speed Dial 5 levers and Avid C4 pads.

With these levers you can set them up to be really powerful (better than Hayes) but the modulation will be lacking at low speeds. Wind the dial out and the modulation gets better but power goes down a bit. I brake using one finger, there's no need for two.

I'm not sure how much weight they save.