Avid Bleed - DIY Home version

DWNHLR01

Likes Dirt
As being unemployed and having stuff all cash, I've been doing things on the cheap.

The Avid 5s on my SX Trail needed bleeding so obviously I chased a DIY solution.

Read on for the step by step DIY solution. This cost my $0 and did it with stuff I had at home.

Step 1: Aquire some plastic syringes...Preferably ones that hold a decent amount of liquid as it'll make things quicker, make sure the business end of the syringe is fat enough (you'll see why soon). Brake fluid, I used dot 5.1 and you'll need a torx key...basically an allen key but in a star pattern.

Step 2: Remove the torx screws on the bleed port screw for the caliper and the port screw on the lever.

Step 3: Grab one of the syringes and screw the business end into the bleed port. Screw it in there nice and tight, then back out and screw in again. This will put a nice thread on your syringe and will be air tight. Grab a rubber band and strap your lever nice and tight up to the bars, this closes the master cylinder so you can bleed the caliper.

Step 4: Fill your 2nd syringe with brake fluid. Now what you want to do, is turn the syringe upside down and put your finger over the end of it, now draw back to pull out the air bubbles in the fluid...(blocking the hole will create vacuum) Don't draw too fast or air will come past the plunger. Once you have drawn air bubbles out, tap the syringe a few times and while keeping it upside down, push the air out. Repeat this process a couple of times to make sure the fluid is as pure as can be.

Step 5: Screw the 2nd syringe into the caliper bleed port. In, out, then back in to get the thread on the syringe. Now, draw the syringe back slowly and give the caliper a few taps. This bleeds out any air in the caliper. Unscrew the syringe, push the air out, then screw it back in nice and snug.

Step 6: Undo the strap on the lever, this opens up the cylinder so you can bleed the hose. Slowly push through the 2nd syringe until it's nearly empty, leaving only a little fluid in the syringe. You'll notice the syringe plunger on the lever will be pushed up as old fluid/air is pushed through the hose and into the reservoir.

Step 7: Take out the 2nd syringe and very quickly put the bleed port screw back into the caliper. That's the hose and caliper bled now.

Step 8: With the lever syringe, pull it back and draw the air out of the lever, give it a few taps to release the air if need be and give the lever a few squeezes. Once you are sure most the air is out of the level, replace the 'air space' with the fluid in the syringe. (because the syringe is facing up when you do this, there is no danger of air getting back in.

Step 9: When replacing the air, give the lever some squeezes until you get a good feel. Quickly remove the syringe from the bleed port and chuck in the port screw. Finally, get some water and go over anywhere you've been with the dot fluid.

Wallah!! Your brakes are now bled.

Hopefully my tight arseness and DIY mindset will help others out!

Cheers,
Hal.

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just got myself one of these - Looks much better quality then the avid ones, I've gone through 2 of them because the syringes are so crap!

Will let you guys know how it gets on!

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I too am a tight-a$$, and reknowned for trying to save $ on stuff like this. The Avid kit is a complete rip off when you can buy all the parts for it for a few bucks, finding some of them is a bit tricky though.

My DIY system is still under development, but does include some parts I purchased off ebay from an Radio Control Boat guy in SA to screw into the bleed ports at a coupla bucks each. Works OK, but i get some air leakage between the hose and syringe which I can't be bothered to fix (yet).

I like the idea of just screwing the syringe into the port, but that removes some flexibility of using the syringe at a different angle.

What size syringe are you using?

Last edited:

DWNHLR01

Likes Dirt
Size of syringe? No idea...they don't even have ml markers...But fairly small.

I didn't actually have any issues without the flexibility of having hoses...Would have been nice for the caliper though once all the airs been drawn out prior to screwing in it doesn't really pose any issues, but as for the lever I found the syringe being in a fixed position very easy to manage.

Obviously my way of doing it is very rough and ready, but it works.

I actually found some clear tubing at home and have been considering fixing it to the nozzle of the syringes, then cutting the nozzles off 2 more syringes and fixing to the end of the hose and then screwing that into the bleed port.