Avid Codes Pistons Wont Retract

chris95

Likes Dirt
Hey guys

I'm trying to install new pads into my 2010 avid codes but the pistons wont retract, I have tried letting some oil out but it doesnt seem to make much difference, so does anybody know a trick to getting these pistons back to get the new pads back in.

Cheers Chris

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys

I'm trying to install new pads into my 2010 avid codes but the pistons wont retract, I have tried letting some oil out but it doesnt seem to make much difference, so does anybody know a trick to getting these pistons back to get the new pads back in.

Cheers Chris
When you say letting oil out are you , removing the screw installing the siring , leaving the siring in the open position < clips open > then pushing the pistons back . I find a ring spanner is the best for pushing the pistons .

Last edited:

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I helped a mate fix his new Avids with the same issue.

We cracked the bleed screw on the lever assembly, and pushed the pistons in. A bit of brake fluid dribbled out and pads pushed in.

If you have tried that process, not sure??

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I had the exact same problem with some Elixers recently. Be really careful if you try to let some fluid out - I did that and let too much out which meant the brakes needed a bleed, which sucks if you don't have a bleed kit. Like you I took a little bit and it made no difference so I stupidly kept going... I think the best way to do it is to put the pads in and use a wedge to force them apart. The trick to this, which I did not know at the time, is that the pistons do no retract instantly. You have to leave the wedge in there for a few minutes.

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
Piston

Sometimes the pistons can get a little sticky, watched and asked a bike mechanic fixing sticky piston acids one day and he said if you put a little bit of dot brake fluid round the piston itll help reduce or fix the sticky piston

chris95

Likes Dirt
I helped a mate fix his new Avids with the same issue.

We cracked the bleed screw on the lever assembly, and pushed the pistons in. A bit of brake fluid dribbled out and pads pushed in.

If you have tried that process, not sure??
Yer dags that what I have done and has worked previously for me:eek:

Umm to the other yer tried all that done it before on other brakes and has worked, i am starting to think that the pistons are stickey:confused: anyone know how to clean them, not real keen on dot fluid

Anthiron

Likes Dirt
you shouldnt have to let fluid out.

like has been said remove the pads and use a bit of brake fluid to lube them. make sure u are applying even pressure. if u push on one side or say only on the top of the piston they will get jammed.

aidz44

Likes Dirt
finding something to push codes (especially yours) back is a bitch. You need to find something to move them just a little, AND give the lever a couple of LITTLE squeezes. squeezing too hard will pop a seal.
and because you have 4 cylinders, screwdrivers don't work too well.

frdlvr

Likes Dirt
with the old pads, place a metal tyre lever between the pads and use this for a leveruntil you get enough space.

0psi

Eats Squid
Not sure if it will work with codes but a big 'ol allen key works a treat with Elixirs. Something like an 8mm that'll just fit in there, slide it the whole way through so you can grab it on either side of the caliper with your thumbs on the caliper for leverage. And obviously put a flat bit of the allen key against the piston, duh.

My Elixir pistons never go back in easily, take a few minutes to slowly get them back into the caliper using a heap of leverage (above method) but they work just fine once they're in. They're not like Hayes or Shimanos where a gentle push with a spanner or screw driver slides them straight back in quite easily. So try that before resorting to pulling them apart.

Last edited: