avid elixir brake rub

Petercass

Likes Dirt
hey all have avid elixirs and had brake rub... fixed it up and it was great for a few dh runs then all of a sudden was back..... bolts are still tight ect. so im guessing there might be something wrong with a piston? anyone got any ideas? am i going to have to go get brakes serviced? :(

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
mates of mine have had similar problems, they would lock up fully for no reason and then it would go away randomly and then come back...cant help you though!

Is yours fully locking or just rubbing?

Petercass

Likes Dirt
just rubbing......

so not too bad but i never though the rubbing made much of a diff untill i fixed it for those few runs and was amazed at how the bike just wanted to GO!

savtraxx

Banned
check your rotors , check if there is gummed up crap in among your callipers and pistons and loosen the 2 bolts , hole the brake in , and while holding it tighten the bolts.

this squares the pads with the rotor

good luck. cheers

Jake_6693

Likes Dirt
I'm having elixir problems too.
I bled my rear brake a couple of weeks ago on a ruitine check and now I have no pressure in my lever at all, I pull it all the way to the bars and get no grab untill I 'pump' the brake a couple of times. But after I let go the pressure goes straight out again.

I don't know much mate but I have heard a few other stories like yours about untrustworthy elixirs, so maybe they have a couple of faults that need to be ironed out still.

Good luck anyways bro!

Jake_6693

Likes Dirt
I just checked then and there doesnt seem to be a change from when I pump it up and hold it for about 3 minutes, but I have been told that it could be the problem.
Anyways to fix it?

Landon

Likes Dirt
Lever Travel / Pad Clearance and Bleeding the Elixir

hey all have avid elixirs and had brake rub... fixed it up and it was great for a few dh runs then all of a sudden was back..... bolts are still tight ect. so im guessing there might be something wrong with a piston? anyone got any ideas? am i going to have to go get brakes serviced? :(
The Elixir can be a difficult beast. Are your brakes relatively new? It would appear from experience with the XX brakes on my XC racer and the cheaper Elixir 5's on my second bike that the pistons can be a little sticky when new. This reduces pad clearance and makes it rather difficult to maintain a drag free position.

You can lightly lubricate the pistons with brake fluid, but it's really a matter of them freeing up over time. You'll probably find that the system has been over filled too which doesn't help. I found a slight improvement after a fresh bleed when the brakes were new. Be sure both pistons are completely bottomed out and the contact adjuster wound in before installing the lever bleed screw. It was the rear brake on both of my bikes that had slightly less pad clearance compared to the front which was weird. This has improved with use.

Slowpoke

Likes Dirt
I had the same problem on an intermittent basis. The Avid folks bled them, FoC at the Mont 24hr. Haven't had a problem since.