Avid Juicy 3 Pad problem

Stewiee

Squid
Hi, I've been searching the net everywhere for this but here's my problem.
I was changing my brake pads and when I tried to insert them back in (Sandwiched with the backing plate along side) It wouldn't go in. So hours later i figured I'd take off this silver plate on top of the caliper where the pads are shown, and then i fitted the pads back in then it worked. I tried to put the silver plate back in but it wouldn't go in, so it's one or the other now, new pads or without this silver plate on top of the caliper.
Does anyone know if this plate is actually important? and if my LBS might supple these?
Thanks

ridefreecitizens

Likes Bikes
I would imagine the silver backing plate is pretty important as it keeps the pads in place :)
Whenever I've changed pads on my 5's I've left it on, you just have to use a bit of force to snap the pads back in.
Try inserting them using pliers to hold the little tab on one side of the pads.

Stewiee

Squid
I would imagine the silver backing plate is pretty important as it keeps the pads in place :)
Whenever I've changed pads on my 5's I've left it on, you just have to use a bit of force to snap the pads back in.
Try inserting them using pliers to hold the little tab on one side of the pads.
Thanks but sorry I wasn't really referring to that. No offense. Sorry for my bad description. I meant there's this little silver plate that clips in at the top of the caliper, where the top of the pads are showing.
Sorry for the shoddy image, best I could do

Thanks!

ridefreecitizens

Likes Bikes
Yeah thats exactly what I thought you were talking about.
You have to kind of get one side of the pads in first and then clip the other side in, it makes it easier if you use pliers.

It's kind of hard to explain without physically showing you.
If you can't work it out, just take it to your local LBS.
Good luck!

Stewiee

Squid
Yeah thats exactly what I thought you were talking about.
You have to kind of get one side of the pads in first and then clip the other side in, it makes it easier if you use pliers.

It's kind of hard to explain without physically showing you.
If you can't work it out, just take it to your local LBS.
Good luck!
Ohh I see thanks a lot I got it!