Avid Matchmaker clamps

Mantra

Likes Bikes
Has anyone had these things break on them?

I've now gone through two left side clamps and one on the right side in the space of 6 months. (I've owned the bike from new, just over a year now).

None of these had suffered any crash damage. Kerry from Phantom mentioned that he's never heard of these breaking, so I'm putting this out there to see if others have had the same experience.

Cheers

punky67

Cannon Fodder
I just bought a new (secondhand) bike and I broke the left one while changing over brakes. I had not over tightened and intended comin' back later to re-tention all nuts n bolts. As I was tightening the right side, being EXTRA cautious, that too snapped. STRANGE.
The only thing I could put this down too was that I had gone from O/S bars to standard and they were "used" to being on O/S bars?????

Mantra

Likes Bikes
did you over tighten them?
Thats a difficult question to answer. I tighten them to make sure the gear shifters cannot move up or down and are "locked" in that position. Therefore, how can you over tighten them? Can you please explain this?

They have all broken in exactly the same position, between the brake mount and the gear mount on both sides.

Mantra

Likes Bikes
I just bought a new (secondhand) bike and I broke the left one while changing over brakes. I had not over tightened and intended comin' back later to re-tention all nuts n bolts. As I was tightening the right side, being EXTRA cautious, that too snapped. STRANGE.
The only thing I could put this down too was that I had gone from O/S bars to standard and they were "used" to being on O/S bars?????
The bar thickness is a good point to mention Punky. I ensured that the brackets were flush against the bar so that there were no gaps or room for movement.

I think this thread is set to explode

TheManchurian

Cannon Fodder
I've had the same experience with 2 right side matchmakers on my ride. They're not strong enough to handle the force put on them from shifting.
After it broke the second time :mad: I swore I'd NEVER use them again and now use separate brackets for the brake and gear levers.

'Alex

Likes Dirt
I run a single one for rear shifter on my Bottlerocket and after a few stacks it hasn't broken.. even hit it pretty good at a fall at buller. I know these are designed for XC weight saving but they hold together for me **shrugs**

EDIT: How close do you run the shifter to the brakes. Mine is firmly tucked up behind my code leaver.

Last edited:

foolbis

Likes Dirt
Interesting! I'd broken a left side matchmaker and my LBS had said that I
was the second person this month that had snapped the gear side of the
bracket.