Ay Ups! vs Magpie

simplesimon76

Likes Dirt
Tuesday morning riding to work got smashed on the helmet by a Magpie! totally forgot it was the season.
Wednesday morning, chicken out and ride another way to work.
This morning (thursday) had Ay Ups on the helmet from a night ride the previous night. thought, if i turn these skyward and turn them to flashing, that should scare the little beggers. the first swoop, it missed but was pretty close, the second swoop the same, the third swoop, i chickened out and started waving my hand above my head.
i will test it out tomorrow moring but won't chicken out, and see if he just swoops but not connect.
if you don't see another post, it's eaten me alive or pecked both eyes out :single_eye:

There are no maggies where i ride but i've often wondered what a couple of thin strips of reflective alfoil neatly taped to the top of the helmet would do in regards to warding the little buggers off?

Ps: Good luck with your experiment ;)

faz

Likes Dirt
i've often wondered what a couple of thin strips of reflective alfoil neatly taped to the top of the helmet would do in regards to warding the little buggers off?
I would suspect not a lot apart from picking up radiowaves from outerspace :lol:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
if you don't see another post, it's eaten me alive or pecked both eyes out :single_eye:
I'd be surprised if either happen...

Why don't you do what I do and just headbutt them back? Sure as heck gives them pause for thought. Can make you a little wobbly for a bit though due to wieght shifting so be mindful for following traffic...

Mind you that technique doesn't work on butcherbirds as they are both canny and manouverable. In which case, the Camelback Podium bottle with the Jet Valve is a useful defense - a good whack amidships with a blast of water does wonders to a birds commitment.

nexusfish

El Mariachi
i uses to take a squash racket with me at the start of the season, a good whump a few days in a row(not injuring it) will make it see some sense. my one stopped swooping me after a week of floggings. however, i did not stick around and see if it still swooped others...