Baby Trailers for 2 kids

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have read the other threads about baby bike carriers and am looking specifically at getting a trailer as I have 2 kids (3yr and 1yr old) that I want to take around. I have a few questions and was wondering if anyone has any advice.

1 - a lot of the trailers seem to say not suitable for disc brakes and quick release systems - does anyone know why this is and if it even matters?
2 - I will only use it on roads/path/bike paths so does the trailer need suspension even if it has 20" wheels?
3 - I only have 1 bike which I use to ride to work and would like it to be detachable fairly quickly - do most baby trailers do this? For example I currently have a weeride and it is way too inconvenient to get on and off the bike all the time.
4 - They seem to range anywhere between $130 on ebay to $700 in shops but I can't see a huge difference between them - can anyone enlighten me here?
5 - Does anyone recommend a certain brand or place to buy? is yes then where and why?

Thanks
MAS

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used a Chariot trailer for about 4 years. Simply fantastic trailer that can easily convert to a pusher.

We used ours on 2 trips to Europe (more as a pusher, loaded with both kids and heaps of stuff).

Check out the Chariot web site for info on all their models.

Pm me for details on where to buy cheap.....

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Wrt the disc brake, just make sure the attachment mechanism doesn't foul the calipers and line. Rim brakes are mounted up the top of the wheel so are out of the way.

No you don't need suspension. People jiggle kids all the time, they enjoy it.

Not sure on the others.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I only used mine with disc brake bikes

Don't need suspension

the Chariot trailer has a coupling which stays on the bike which won't bother you when trailer is not on.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
1 - a lot of the trailers seem to say not suitable for disc brakes and quick release systems - does anyone know why this is and if it even matters?

I've used a couple and this has not been an issue

2 - I will only use it on roads/path/bike paths so does the trailer need suspension even if it has 20" wheels?

No. Not under these conditions. But your kids might like it.

3 - I only have 1 bike which I use to ride to work and would like it to be detachable fairly quickly - do most baby trailers do this? For example I currently have a weeride and it is way too inconvenient to get on and off the bike all the time.

Yes

4 - They seem to range anywhere between $130 on ebay to $700 in shops but I can't see a huge difference between them - can anyone enlighten me here?

The difference is mostly in the quality of the trailer material and its fit and finish which will influence the comfort of your children. I've got an ebay unit and the chassis is great but the fabric body is cheap and means that the trailer is not entirely comfortable and would be hopeless in wet weather.

5 - Does anyone recommend a certain brand or place to buy? is yes then where and why?

No. But Chariot and Croozer keeps coming up. Personally I'd look 2nd hand.

RJS

Squid

As stated before the attachment may run close to the disc. My Dad made an extension to mount the attachment behind the bike.

No but take it easy at first, my little fella loves the trailer and the bumps. We did put a pillow inside for him to sit on.

3 - I only have 1 bike which I use to ride to work and would like it to be detachable fairly quickly - do most baby trailers do this? For example I currently have a weeride and it is way too inconvenient to get on and off the bike all the time

We have a weerider and the spanners needed to remove it are annoying. The attachment for the trailer is tiny and I think is still mounted to my partners bike.

I have looked at the $1000 models and ended up with a KMart special for $130ish. It folds up to go in the car and is fairly light.

If you wanted a Gucci one, I would look online as some come up second hand on gumtree. I saw quote a few while I was looking.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Some really helpful info there. I am thinking of checking them out over the Easter break.
Cheers
MAS

John U

MTB Precision
I've used a Burley Solo for about 4.5 years. Only holds 1 kid. They make a 2 kid version. Has been perfect for me and the kids. Been mounted behind all types of mtbs except a down hill bike. And behind road bike for trips to the pool. It's reasonably light a folds up fairly quickly. I get it in the back of the magna station wagon with all the luggage no probs.

Both kids still love riding in it even though they're getting too big (1 by quite a bit). Causes some blues on occasions. The rougher the ride the better.

Just make sure your little one can wear a helmet and hold their head up while wearing it. I reckon my eldest was 18 months to 2 years before we took him out.

Awesome times.

Dylan77

Likes Bikes
I have a double chariot cougar which I managed to get shipped from the states, cost about $700 with bike attachments, pram adaptor etc, would have cost $1300 at the lbs.

I use it all the time for my 3.5 yr old and 18month old and can't recommend it enough. Easy to take on and off the bike, packs away quickly and converts easily to a pram (great for trips to the zoo). I use it on a bike with disc brakes and the suspension allows my boys to easily sleep if need be.

Cheap trailers are not worth it. Good brands like chariot and burley allow for head room with helmets on, good quality parts and decent design. Plus, the re-sale is great, so if you find someone who sends it from the states, you can use it for a few years and only lose a couple of hundred bucks (if you look after it of course).

End of day, you get what you pay for and if you use it regularly and want your kids to be safe and comfortable...get a good one. You don't need the top of the range, but just get a good brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cooki_monsta

Likes Dirt
I just bought an ebay one and apart from the very strange harness im very happy with it. It was cheap but fits my dh bike easily so I can look sooper kool kruising the bike paths with the Holy rolers fitted and trailer in tow.my son loves it though

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Chariot is the very best, but it's hard to go past Croozer for value at about half the price.

Last edited:

Danny B

Likes Dirt
I bought a Burley D-Lite which is the double version of the Solo. Its a great trailer. Used it for a couple of years now. Is well constructed and well designed.

I bought the more expensive one not because of the (elastomer) suspension but because the capsule flairs out and gives the little tackers a little bit more room. And it wasn't that much more expensive than the more basic version. I bought mine from Backcountry.com and was pretty reasonably priced, shipping wasn't too bad and arrived quickly.

A friend of mine has a Chariot CX2 which cost megabux, cant see what makes it so much better - its still heavy as a pig. Just has a fancy parking brake.

Another friend of mine has a Croozer and says its okay but the build quality and construction is not of the same level as Burley or Chariot.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks a lot but just thought of another question:

What about using these on 29" wheel bikes? Anyone do it?

Just read on the croozer site it says 28" wheels max for theirs.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ended up buying one today from BigW. It is a diamondback for $170 down from $200 because it was their last assembled floor stock. Got it home and took all the unnecessary stuff off and took both the boys (1 & 3) for a ride today/tonight. You certainly notice the added weight (constantly does a push/pull thing as you ride) but was still pretty good. Had to concentrate when riding on the narrower parts of the path to avoid hitting things with its turning circle, it's a lot wider at the back, and because it is a slow take off had to take everything a lot slower.

On the way home the 1yr old fell asleep in a min so I guess it doesnt matter about suspension. When it rained I just pulled the cover over and when it was dark used it to stop the wind so they didnt get cold which was awesome. With just the bug screen on with cars going by I couldnt understand anything the 3yr old was saying so would stop and pull over. Without cars I could understand him fine. When the wet weather cover was on i couldnt make out anything he was saying. Was thinking too, if I got a flat I think I would just ring someone to pick us up as it would be just too hard dealing with the kids and fixing i reckon.

Thanks for all your help
Cheers
MAS