Back on it! Foes bitsa

fastrider gus

super huck
*sorry for the low quality photo's, no more fancy (not so)smart phone so had to make do! will try to scrounge a better one*
G'day guys! well after a couple of years without riding bikes, i decided to finally build up the frame i impulse bought quite a while ago!
bought the frame from here, Duncan was great to deal with! he had taken great care of it and threw in lots of bits and pieces. its a large (lovely having a bike that fits!) black and came with a choice of coil or air shock.

at some point i decided i wasn't going to ride again and sold the fancy new rockshox revelations (stuuuupid!) so i had to replace them with something cheap and second hand, bomber 55rc3 Ti's sounded just about fancy enough! they're typical bombers, super plush, eat up everything, and pour out oil! ha!

i came across some cheap wheels that were decent quality, hadley hubs and MTXs. the ugly old MTXs were a delicious shade of pink urban camouflage, why anyone would ever want to use this color scheme on anything at all is a complete mystery to me, but i knew a quick splash from a cheapo black rattle pak would quickly fix that! so they got bought, de-pinkerized and thrown on.

the rest of the build is a combination of bits that ive had in the shed for years, a few cheap e-bay, facey and forum scores and the new 10 spd gear from chain reaction.

i've had the Hope 4pots for years, swapped them between a ton of different bikes, they will end up on the Schwinn eventually. i used the Diablos stem on lots of bikes too until going direct mount on the DH bike, then got chucked in the toolbox. still love it.

i found the old chaindog hanging up in Dads shed while over for a BBQ, been there for a long time! its probably not completely necessary with the clutch mech and narrow wide hope ring, but it looks cool and should stop that 1 in 100 chance!

only ridden it once offroad so far, jeeze im a bit wobbly! just need to get some strength and fitness back so i can actually enjoy some nice long rides! the Foes ended up being a bit more beefy than my last trail bikes but its sturdiness inspires a bit of confidence. its one of the most silent riding bikes ive had, no rattles or clunks, just the soothing hadley humm. bloody love it!
Being a tinker-er the bike will be changing all the time, ill update if i find better cheap bits to run!
Cheers and happy tinkering

fastrider gus

super huck
Frame - '07 Foes FXR 2:1 Lanky
Rear shock - Curnutt air, 3" stroke, nice knobs to play with.
Front shock/fork - Bomber 55 Rc3 Ti who knows what year. self lubricating rebound adjuster knob
Handlebars - FSA 800s that arent 800 anymore. spewin.
Stem - Coolest stem holding my bars at the moment
Headset - King
Grips - rotten old HOLY SHIT grips, love em. mainly because they say HOLY SHIT on the collars.
Saddle - SDG bellair, not sure if its just because i haven't ridden for so long and my arse has gone soft, but holy crap this thing isn't very good to sit on!!
Seatpost - FUNN BOB, bad arse glitter paint. if i had more pixles you'd see, but i dont so use your imagination.
Front brake - Hope M4 type 3 caliper with 203 rotor
Rear brake - same with 160, looked stupid with a 180 mount.
Cranks - crappy old Raceface ride DH, will be first to be ditched i think.
Chainguide - RooX Chaindog - favorite
Chain - KMC i think. no hollow pins. 10spd
Pedals - Raceface, too bloody close to being pink and already enough random anodized bits, will be ditched also.
Front derailleur - ha!
Rear derailleur - Zee 10 spd, impressed so far for how cheap they are!
Front shifter - boo
Rear shifter - Zee
Cassette - XT 10spd
Front hub - Hadley red 36h 20mm
Rear hub - Hadley red 36h 10mm with novatec 10mm QR
Front rim - MTX
Rear rim - MTX
Spokes - who the fridge knows
Nipples - they were pinkish, not anymore
Tyres - I was running tubeless schwalbes on my last bikes, but this time i just went with a good ol MinionF F, Highroller R. both 2.35 light case, sorta regretting that now, first ride 2 pinch flats in 3 runs.
Tubes - ones with lots of holes and not much air.
Total weight - plenty!

fastrider gus

super huck
Please get some bar ends, I'd hate to see the bike become part of your abdomen.
yea that did occur to me, changed ends over for the fully capped lock-on type before i rode it. seen some nasty photo's over the years!

it is pretty tall, im used to buying massive seatposts so i can actually sit and pedal around, i had to chop quite a bit off this one!

moorey

call me Mia
From memory, it had about a 20" seat tube. I can't go longer than 19" or a 5" dropper fully raised is too high. Again. Love it.

John U

MTB Precision
Nice bike. Foes have always had me really interested. Be keen to know how the Curnutt coil goes.

aanon

Likes Dirt
That looks like fun, I've always liked Foes (still got a DHS Mono) the build quality and beefy looks just appeal.
Over the years I have ''thrown'' a few bikes together with bits I have laying around and they always end up riding sweet, plus the satisfaction of using parts that were tucked away in a shed not being used is a bonus.
Ya gotta be pretty stoked with how it turned out I ay.

fastrider gus

super huck
Cheers guys! Ride for sure nath! not sure if ill make it to buller, see how we go!
Ive always really liked foes too, i dreamed of DHSs for years! got any pics Aanon? i really want one but ive already got a straight 8 i plan on building up. and a jump bike. and 2 cars.. too many projects!

Ill stick with the air shock for now, it feels bloody amazing! didnt even need to adjust it from the previous owners settings.
i think the coil shock will need a re-build, it was leaking a bit of oil on the bench. would prefer a sexy Ti spring for that and switch it over for more DH stuff.

fastrider gus

super huck
the bombers fell to bits fairly quickly, had trouble finding a decent 1 1/8th" steerer fork so i tried out the dorados for a little while. first time they have ever seen dirt, i was a little worried about perished seals after sitting for 14 years but they seem fine. only did 3 gentle runs on them and wow, so nice! the direct mount crown was the old 25.4mm bar clamp, luckily i came across a 750mm wide atomlab YD open ltd edition bar a few years ago. little narrow after getting used to 780-800s. also chucked on a set of hope tech M4s, bloody lovely.. serfas kevlar ti saddle from 90s came on another bike, had to try it out, actually much nicer than all my other saddles!

finally found a nice set of Fox 180mm 36 forks, straight steerer and kashima coating, smooth as butter..
Doritos back on the shelf.
also the raceface atlas fr cranks came up cheap as chips, i was spewing i let go of the first pair i had so i jumped on these. faultless cranks.

now no more spending money on a bike i barely ride.. for now anyway..

safreek

Cheers guys! Ride for sure nath! not sure if ill make it to buller, see how we go!
Ive always really liked foes too, i dreamed of DHSs for years! got any pics Aanon? i really want one but ive already got a straight 8 i plan on building up. and a jump bike. and 2 cars.. too many projects!

Ill stick with the air shock for now, it feels bloody amazing! didnt even need to adjust it from the previous owners settings.
i think the coil shock will need a re-build, it was leaking a bit of oil on the bench. would prefer a sexy Ti spring for that and switch it over for more DH stuff.
If you lose the urge to do the straight 8 give me a yell, just had one knocked off and looking for another at a normal price. yeah, don't let that beauty rot, I promise I will ride it. firkin sweet foes but.

fastrider gus

super huck
whaaat? that sucks mate, what year S8? what area? not many around these days so hopefully you can track it down! if you've got any pics chuck em up and ill keep an eye out.