Back Yamma Bigfoot - (Photos on event website)

JD26

Likes Dirt
Hi Chris
just for reference, the Angry Doctor 100km starts 2 hours before the 50km event.

This will get some people finish roughly together

Chris_hollingdrake

Likes Bikes
Hi Chris
just for reference, the Angry Doctor 100km starts 2 hours before the 50km event.

This will get some people finish roughly together
Thanks for that. I'm thinking perhaps i'll start the 100km 1.5 hrs before the 50km. Just to make sure none of the riders in the 100km are onto their second lap before the 50km riders start. Could be seen as quite a disadvantage if half the field has no traffic.

Knut

Troll hunter
No lawyers, just beer, bikes and girls

It's cool. I think that mountain bikers are generally pretty cruisy people who enjoy others having fun as they have done and sharing their experiences. I hope your event goes well. Maybe we could cross promote one day? Maybe the Yowie might take a holiday up North before his big event?

agoer

Likes Dirt
Imagine the marketing, "complete the double Aussie legends the Yowie and the Bigfoot to earn you a place as an Aussie bush legend and be compared to the likes of the Leyland brothers".

G :)

Knut

Troll hunter
Aussie and Not So Aussie

I think the Big Foot is the Yeti, Sasquash, Abonable Snowman. Nevermind.

I like the twin event concept. Our race is a day before some hobo little road race is in town. Maybe a good chance to convince the cheque signer to come down to Geelong and have a look.

Last edited:

sruge

Likes Dirt
Just drifting back to the point - I'd definitely be interested in racing - 50 if it's only 50, but 100 if you do it. Tried the Angry Doctor last year 2 days after getting off a flight from England, but the heat, hills, jetlag and 10 days off a bike defeated me. I would try to rouse some interest from the Hunter, as we have had support from central west riders for some of our events. Hope you planning & preparation is running smoothly.

GeurieMTB

Likes Dirt
Back Yama Bunyip perhaps?

Just to keep the Aussie thread. Hi Chris, looking forward to riding there on monday. Re the 100, yes please, re marshalling, if State Forests are happy for you to close fire trails to outside traffic police tape across junctions is a great way to direct riders

Chris_hollingdrake

Likes Bikes
It's cool. I think that mountain bikers are generally pretty cruisy people who enjoy others having fun as they have done and sharing their experiences. I hope your event goes well. Maybe we could cross promote one day? Maybe the Yowie might take a holiday up North before his big event?
Would love to come down to ride the you yangs yowie sometime. Sounds great. Tough by the sounds of it. Happy to cross promote anytime. We are just getting started, so hope the event does go well. Our goal was to just share the riding spot with other people, and offer a race that people in the Central West of NSW don't have to drive 4 to 6 hours to get to. That's pretty common.

The main difference for this event is lack of elevation in the course. It's fast... i mean seriously fast.

Chris_hollingdrake

Likes Bikes
Just drifting back to the point - I'd definitely be interested in racing - 50 if it's only 50, but 100 if you do it. Tried the Angry Doctor last year 2 days after getting off a flight from England, but the heat, hills, jetlag and 10 days off a bike defeated me. I would try to rouse some interest from the Hunter, as we have had support from central west riders for some of our events. Hope you planning & preparation is running smoothly.

Would be great to see guys from the Hunter out here. Event prep is on track. still got plenty to work out. We are just four guys at the moment, so will put on the best event we can manage.

See you out here.

Chris_hollingdrake

Likes Bikes
Just to keep the Aussie thread. Hi Chris, looking forward to riding there on monday. Re the 100, yes please, re marshalling, if State Forests are happy for you to close fire trails to outside traffic police tape across junctions is a great way to direct riders

The 100km is pretty much a certain now, though we still won't be able to make that announcement till mid April.

As for marshaling. That is great idea about the tape across junction. This might be our best option with few marshals. Cheers.

I'll be out there Monday Morning. See you there.

Knut

Troll hunter
Thinking about layout

Chris, we chose three laps for three reasons.

1. No other event does it.
2. Much easier to construct and marshal the course.
3. More accepted by a wider audience. Then the Supporters get to see the riders three times. Point to Point racing is good for the competitor, but sponsors are hard to convince as there is no audience and the race villiage is dead. I guess that is why enduros are so popular.

Just my humble opinion, but if it helps then that's cool.

Chris_hollingdrake

Likes Bikes
Chris, we chose three laps for three reasons.

1. No other event does it.
2. Much easier to construct and marshal the course.
3. More accepted by a wider audience. Then the Supporters get to see the riders three times. Point to Point racing is good for the competitor, but sponsors are hard to convince as there is no audience and the race villiage is dead. I guess that is why enduros are so popular.

Just my humble opinion, but if it helps then that's cool.
that is good advice. Had not really though about it. We have a 25km loop, a 50km loop and a the 100km will be two laps of the 50km loop. Haven't really found any sponsors yet. Might need to hunt around a little.

Chris_hollingdrake

Likes Bikes
A few of us are meeting at Back Yamma For a ride on Monday morning (10am) if anyone else is interested. Will just meet at the entrance to back yamma off Eugowra - Parkes road.

GeurieMTB

Likes Dirt
Just back from riding at Back Yamma this morning, sweet! Its mostly very flat, a couple of short climbs but the singletrack is flowy and fun, had a big grin plastered all over! Some sandy corners so caution needed, some nice open forest which is a completely different feel to most other places, even different to much of the Central West. Well worth a visit and big thumbs up to the Parkes crew, were coming back to spend some more time exploring for sure. The kids want to go back tomorrow! Check out their website for the photos and you'll get an idea, fast and open, should make for a fairly easy and fun 100k

Last edited:

Chris_hollingdrake

Likes Bikes
Just back from riding at Back Yamma this morning, sweet! Its mostly very flat, a couple of short climbs but the singletrack is flowy and fun, had a big grin plastered all over! Some sandy corners so caution needed, some nice open forest which is a completely different feel to most other places, even different to much of the Central West. Well worth a visit and big thumbs up to the Parkes crew, were coming back to spend some more time exploring for sure. The kids want to go back tomorrow! Check out their website for the photos and you'll get an idea, fast and open, should make for a fairly easy and fun 100k
Glad you liked it. You are definitely right, the 100km option will be pretty easy (for a 100ker) and i would expect people to be registering their fastest time ever for a similar distance race.

I've just had an enquiry for a 3 lap option (150km!!). Sorry but we going to have to draw the line somewhere. 100km would be as far as we could stretch it this year.

Chris_hollingdrake

Likes Bikes
Map and elevation profile is now available

We have finished our map and elevation profile for the course now and have posted them on the website. www.backyammabigfoot.com.au

The little foot is marked in red and the bigfoot combines the red and blue. Just remember the scale on the elevation profile is small. It may look like it is quite steep, but it isn't as pronounced as this lead on.

Entries opening in May.