back yard builing (DH)

glorydays

Likes Dirt
well weather was forecast to be crap so myself and my mate decided to build at his joint.. so far with 2 ppl this is what we have all up after about one day of build time. will keep updating as the track progresses.

step down landing finished.jpg
step down landing complete. waiting on bit of rain to finish compacting and shaping the sides
berm finished.jpg
the berm leading into the step down
17072011438.jpg
run out of the berm and takeoff/pad for step down completed
17072011439.jpg
the look down
17072011440.jpg
looking back up the track
17072011450.jpg
can see the berm after the step down starting to take shape
17072011449.jpg
from the landing to the berm (not yet completed)
17072011454.jpg
half of the berm, the poly pipe will be cut to length for drainage in the bottom of the berm once the berm is finished and shaped.

comments and criticism is welcome

Section's looking tidy! How pinned will you be leading into the step down? That runout might make for a fun little game of pinball if you get a bit rowdy landing it;)

Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the trail develops.

glorydays

Likes Dirt
Section's looking tidy! How pinned will you be leading into the step down? That runout might make for a fun little game of pinball if you get a bit rowdy landing it;)

Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the trail develops.
heading into the step down will be quite fast, its all going to be determined in the berm before it making sure you absolutely rail it to make the distance! will be fun but not "easy" and yea the run out is rather steep, the berm after the step down will be about a metre high once completed and should be good fun.

Whereabout is this track?
secret track is secret. its se qld but thats all i can give out. :p its not my property and im not about to announce to the world on the whereabouts

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
nice work GD, at least you appear to have good dirt to dig in, that one i've been doing is all dust and rocks, it a nightmare to berm anything up with any confidence. keep it going mate.

glorydays

Likes Dirt
few more pics from todays 2 hour dig.

yea a few pics but shows the whole track so far

23072011462.jpg

23072011461.jpg

23072011460.jpg

23072011459.jpg

23072011463.jpg
the line into the step down shown better, out actually pop out of the first berm airborn:)
23072011464.jpg
there is a bit of a ledge leading into this drop then a step up onto the mound (going to make a booster hip to the left of this line in the gully)
23072011465.jpg

Jack123

Likes Bikes
Looks Nice!

I have been wanting to build a new track somewhere for me and my mates to go after school. We all have dh bikes and we all have a 4x/cross country bikes so it cant be to extreme or too soft. However i have had troble with picking a hill to do it on. So how did you pick the hill you did and why, whats so good about that hill ? I need help and your track looks like something i would like to ride so could you guys help me out ?

Cheers

finnigan

Likes Bikes
Nice job. I wish i had the time and energy to do the same.
Just a question/advice would it be worth hiring a rotary hoe to help dig, that way you only have to move soil and not dig in hard ground? Maybe some out there might know. Maybe there's a better piece of equipment to use/hire and not a D9 dozer obviously.
Just trying to help.:confused:

driftking

Wheel size expert
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=206664&d=1311407289-second one in this picture top left.
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=206078&d=1310898675

You mentioned you had drainage for the other burm. Might be wrong but seems like this one might collect some water too. By the looks of it you can just shovel away the dirt on the inside, essentially making it a little bank so the water will run down the hill away from the track/berm. I wouldnt expect it to affect how the trail rides, It does however mean you will have a nice like bank for some drifting if you get bored.

Last edited:

glorydays

Likes Dirt
Nice job. I wish i had the time and energy to do the same.
Just a question/advice would it be worth hiring a rotary hoe to help dig, that way you only have to move soil and not dig in hard ground? Maybe some out there might know. Maybe there's a better piece of equipment to use/hire and not a D9 dozer obviously.
Just trying to help.:confused:
i think a nice d11t that ive been repairing at work would do just fine. ground is actually nice and soft. what we have got completed is only 2 days of digging and its only myself and one other guy, one on a shovel and one on the pick/hoe. so essentially we are only moving the dirt we have not dug one "dirt pit" all dirt that you can see in the landing and on the berms is purely from digging the berms themselves.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=206664&d=1311407289-second one in this picture top left.
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=206078&d=1310898675

You mentioned you had drainage for the other burm. Might be wrong but seems like this one might collect some water too. By the looks of it you can just shovel away the dirt on the inside, essentially making it a little bank so the water will run down the hill away from the track/berm. I wouldnt expect it to affect how the trail rides, It does however mean you will have a nice like bank for some drifting if you get bored.
the first berm that has no drainage was built by my mate before he got me around and didnt think about the drainage, we will be adding a poly pipe to do the same as the big berm. also due to the slope of the hill both berms will recieve a channel about a foot up the hill diverting the water away allowing the berms to stay better longer:) oh and instead of shoveling dirt up the hill making a bank/wall it will be a channel/pit = more dirt to put onto the berm. dig smarter not harder guys!

driftking

Wheel size expert
oh and instead of shoveling dirt up the hill making a bank/wall it will be a channel/pit = more dirt to put onto the berm. dig smarter not harder guys!
good call, I didnt mean dig it up onto the burm I just meant clear it down the bottom. It looked like it was slightly raised on the side of the corner so by taking the raise out it would just mean you will essentially create a bank but extending the slope further down.
Its good that you guys are thinking well about drainage its so easy to over look when you just want to get down to the building and riding. A few of our local tracks have been erodded by water and need a bit of time to dry out due to lack of drainage.

glorydays

Likes Dirt
good call, I didnt mean dig it up onto the burm I just meant clear it down the bottom. It looked like it was slightly raised on the side of the corner so by taking the raise out it would just mean you will essentially create a bank but extending the slope further down.
Its good that you guys are thinking well about drainage its so easy to over look when you just want to get down to the building and riding. A few of our local tracks have been erodded by water and need a bit of time to dry out due to lack of drainage.
oh yea i see what you mean, the berm goes up hil for a reason upon exit though, when exiting the berm you actually get air and lean right in the air and land into the right hander, its such a tight transition this was the best and funnest way to go from left to right! cheers for the ideas and feedback though

driftking

Wheel size expert
oh yea i see what you mean, the berm goes up hil for a reason upon exit though, when exiting the berm you actually get air and lean right in the air and land into the right hander, its such a tight transition this was the best and funnest way to go from left to right! cheers for the ideas and feedback though
I think you miss understood the corner I was talking about haha. I was reffering to the right hander before the jump not the left hander which I think you are reffering to?
Maybe it will make more sence now what I mean. I would get all creative and use my awesome paint skills to draw a line on the picture but I cant be bothered.
The right hander is obviously on a small slope going up the hill, on the inside of this burm (you wouldnt normally ride there) you can see it is slightly raised higher than the middle of the burm which was why I was asking about water holding. By eliminating this bump you dont accually touch the burm but just clear more land essentially creating a bank to let water drain straight away while giving you the ability to take a super tight flater line and let it slide if you feel like flaring it up.

glorydays

Likes Dirt
ohhh my bad, well in that case the inside of that berm actually does all slope downwards, just camera angle makes it look like is slopes up a bit. there is even 2 small water channels between the berm and the jump to stop the take off/flat pad being erroded from moving water. that right hander is super tight we are wondering if we will make the jump as it is railing the berm haha, so taking it flat will most likely result in casing the stepdown, and thats something i dont really want to come accross :cool: lol