Backburning at Oxford Falls this weekend

F1234K

Likes Dirt
The title basically says it, but I was there this afternoon and there was a sign up saying the track is temporarily closed for back burning.

There was an official dude there saying it will be closed all weekend. Not 100% sure if they put the sign up because they are burning close to the track or that whole actually area.

So if you were planning an Oxxy trip this weeked, better rethink. It might still be do-able but be warned it might not.

It will be interesting to see what is left when the fire has been through...

Cuthbert

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the info Jan. Lets hope they don't see the wooden stuff as a fire hazard. Will see if I can head up there and have a word to the fire brigade guys before they get started....

Last edited:

nick_dales

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So all the smoke around Sydney at the moment is that Oxford Falls back burning out of control or do we have another brushfire?

F1234K

Likes Dirt
Sure its "Back burning"?
Well I might have used the wrong terminology, but the guy said it is "hazard prevention" burning. I guess all the mounds of dead wood from the last fire have become a fire hazard in itself so they are burning it in a controlled environment instead of waiting for nature to do it's thing this summer...

hi,

I was talking to the guy and he said they expecting it to be a hot summer so it preventative burning. He said it should be reopened sunday afternoon.

What i don't get is why they didn't try and do it during the week, as surely they know that the weekend it when the track is used most.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
What i don't get is why they didn't try and do it during the week, as surely they know that the weekend it when the track is used most.
Because its most likely being done by the RFS and they are volunteers and weekends are the only time they can organise burns and get enough numbers out to do them.

There is a chance its NSWFB but even then they would have RFS support and therefore it needs to be weekends.

PLUCAS

Likes Dirt
I drove up Morgan Rd this morning and the back burning that was in progress was mainly between the RFS station near the BMX track to along behind the other RFS at Belrose not quite down to lizard rock end just yet. I presume the priority will be to protect the nursing homes.

I doubt if they will go as far down as Oxy as it is still pretty sparse from the last fire which started all the building about three years ago. I would asume they will burn right behind the houses on the northern side though.

pin'd_it

Likes Dirt
HAHA my school had a planned ride there this afternoon and i decided not to go. Lucky me.
I hope that they dont remove anything (possibly besides those metal kickers, etc) while backburning, would be mighty annoying if they did.

phantombdb

Likes Dirt
Oxford Falls

The hazard reduction is being conducted by the Rural Fire Lighters (RFS)
Drove up Morgan Rd this avo and the burn off is contained to an area behind Glenaeon Retirement Village off Forest Way. The track @ Ox Falls is all clear at the moment with rain predicted tonight. There will be further burns this weekend around the Mona Vale/Forestway Junction

alexMc

Likes Dirt
We are burning all weekend, right through till Sunday.
Burning is happening on the Five Mile Creek trail, and the Never fail Trail.
It is a hazard reduction, different to back burning.
I would definitely advise staying away from the area.
Posted up a map below for you of what is being burnt.