Backpacks for Commuting

chuckrockswell

iRide Bikes
Like everyone on the planet I'm really resenting paying for petrol, so I figure its time to start riding to work. Now I've used a few different backpacks while riding in my time, and generally they all seemed to suck major ass.... even the top dollar ones.

So what bags are you guys out there using for the commute?? Don't want anything too big, just something to chuck some clothes in and a few other bits and pieces. Sometimes with stuff like this the cheapest and crappiest of the lot can often be the best, so bring on all suggestions.

Thanks!!!!!!!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I use a Vaude - Bike Alpine Air 30+5. Think it was about $70, pretty happy with it. It has one of those breather mesh back thingies on it which I like. But it has a high hard back frame which can sometimes hit the bottom of my helmet. Other than that, she's lasted quite well!

Rik

logged out
I've found Deuter make fantastic packs, a little pricey but definately worth the investment.

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use a camelbak blowfish. Good for a few clothes, and can be expanded when I need to carry more stuff.

Gets pretty sweaty on the back though, depite fancy airflow bits. Still, I haven't heard of too many packs that aren't like this.

R33F

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Providing your not carrying the kitchen sink:

And if you are taking a little more, then around a 30L pack is the go. I have an old 'Lowe 30 Flywheel' backpak that is great.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I bought my back pack from Amart All Sports, I think the brand is Blue Tongue. It has the usual 2 litre water and straw set up with several great pockets. I can carry wallet, phone, keys lunchbox, pump, socks and other small stuff and it weighs nothing. It did however crush my apple cinamon muffin this morning though :( . It was $45...great value!
It is pouring rain here in Coffs today and the wind is incredible, I get to test if the bag is good with keeping rain out.

ovadahill

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some of the Deuters have lots of commuter specific features:
built in rain vest
built in rain cover
helmet holder
hydration pack compatible

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
I use a Camelbak Trailblazer, it was about $50 cheaper than the cycling specific models, and I couldn't see the difference at the time I bought it. It fits my clothes and a few other things, including spare tube and multitools as well. Finally, and most importantly, living in Darwin, it has a separate rain proof cover that can be purchased and placed over the top of the bag. Some Lowepro bags have this feature built in, though theres only one hydration system I know of from Lowepro, and they're stupidly expensive. My Camelbak was $150, only complaint I have is its too big for just casual rides, its perfect for me commuting to and from work though.

chuckrockswell

iRide Bikes
hey thanks for all the feedback guys, very helpful, exactly what i was looking for. so far the deuters are looking pretty cool.

thanks again!

Ska-quatch

Likes Dirt
I use a dodgy cambodian copy of a north face bag, dunno what its actual name is, but the bag itself is raised off your back so that you get air flow to stop the nasty sweat patches that invariably form - which I love. I dunno how much the real mcoy would cost, but mine was $10 us - So I'd guess about $80 here then lol.

Rik

logged out
Some of the Deuters have lots of commuter
Reflective material and patches. Loop to slide flashing light on (albeit on lefthand side). Good strong straps, with the chest strap adjustable in vertical position. Pockets on the sides for waterbottles/other crap. Raised mesh design to help your back breathe. Mine's over 3 years old and showing no signs of giving up just yet. If anything I'd get a bigger one (current one is 20L, not quite big enough for a days worth of TAFE books as well as complete change of clothes and shoes).
Boblebe-e Megalopolis
Out of interest, what are the benefits of such a pack? They're quite interesting looking, but I'm a bit dubious of their practicality if you carry more than a laptop or a few books. Care to run through its features from a riders POV?

Providing your not carrying the kitchen sink:
And if you are, I've fit some monsterous things in my Deuters helmet straps! Just stretching them out and wedging the box between the straps and the pack, then tying the box to the top half of the pack. Seriously, I've taken 2 boxes home from work on seperate occasions (mind you, only a 3km ride), one was 420x320x130, the other a stupid 560x440x140 :eek:

Last edited:

fleshbone

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ooh,i say caribee.they are such a top bag.if money goes as high as bob on the moon,then go for a dakine.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am a fan of satchels for commuting.

They hold the weight where you want it, down low. They dont give you as much of a sweaty back. You can swing them around on the fly for easy access. They can haul a truckload of crap. You can leave the top open for oversised items. You can keep your d lock habging on the strap for easy access and to scare off cars that get too close.

I gould go on, I'm definately a satchel man.

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey thanks for all the feedback guys, very helpful, exactly what i was looking for. so far the deuters are looking pretty cool.

thanks again!
I'd also have to recomend Deuter, I've got one of these and like Rick said I constantly surprise my self what you can strap into the helmet holder, a pair of Psylos is my best effort.

If you get a deuter, get the Source (or the deuter branded version) bladder; the packs were designed to accomidate them. Cammelback bladders are taller and skinner so they just don't quite sit right.

ovadahill

Likes Bikes and Dirt

thanks again!
My only regret is that after 8 years of using my Deuter it hasn't got one single rip or broken bit and therefore I can't justify buying a new one -- damned German engineeering!!:(

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Out of interest, what are the benefits of such a pack? They're quite interesting looking, but I'm a bit dubious of their practicality if you carry more than a laptop or a few books. Care to run through its features from a riders POV?
  1. Polycarbonate hardshell which obviously means that its going to protect whatever you have inside it quite well.
  2. The funky concave shape is designed to ergonomically spread the load on your back and protect your spine if you have a spill.
  3. Its water resistant. No need for an extra rain cover.
  4. Internal pocket (or straps in the case of mine which is an older model) for laptop, folder, water bladder etc.
  5. Fully adjustable chest strap.
  6. Removable waist strap.
  7. Accessories such as phone pockets, drink bottle pockets etc can be added to the shoulder straps.
  8. The major components of the backpack are replaceable.
  9. No zips to break.
  10. Has a range of retention accessories that allow you to carry everyting from a basketball to a snowboard.
  11. Has a range of external storage accessories to carry extra softgoods such as clothes etc.
  12. Has a mesh accessory to allow more airflow to your back.

nizai

Likes Dirt
Im a Caribee fan myself, great little commuter pack I have has enough room for my office clothes, lunch etc. Plus it has a vent back system to reduce sweat absorption, a bladder pouch if i want to put 2 litres in it (usually I dont for commuting), also has an ipod holder with headphone outlet. AND reflective bits all over it.

All for $40 from my local army surplus store. I think it was a model run out, but you can always get bargains like that at those sorts of stores. Plus stock up on knives and ammo at the same time... mmm convenient ;)

N

alexb618

Likes Dirt
i use the deuter cross air

big enough to carry all the crap i have to take with me to work, small enough its not annoying when i ride

bazza

look at me
if your worried about sweat patches invest in a good moisture wiking jersey. i use one when riding to uni and its so much better than riding in a t-shirt. and it squashes down pretty damn small in your backpack. well worth investing in one of these along with your bag.