backyard skatepark

mike&nat

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey we are thinking/starting to build a skatepark (for mtbbikes) in out backyard just wondering if anyones got any tips or ideas to help. such as is it best to build a spine out of wood? can you have part dirt part wood?

we dont want to dig it out and are planing to build a couple of quaterpipes against walls with wood and few spines etc.

also wondering wheres the best place in sydney to find big peices of wood to built the frames of the quaters.

we are also thinking about fiberglassing some of it suggested by my dad what do you think about that is it a good idea or not?

heres a pic i drew when i was bored of just the part againist the wall (we are getting rid of the curve thing) i know its quite sad:eek:

Attachments

dh911

Likes Bikes
very interesting idea. not saying its positive or negative, but have you thought about the dirt going on the wood and making it like pebbles on concrete?very slippery. ive seen a few backyard ramps with a stall/fun box on top of the quarter pipe, makes for some interesting arvo sesh's

Jezza1006

Likes Dirt
SWEET
I reckon maybe steel spines and quarters would be better than fibreglass. u can get it custom built at http://www.cranbournewelding.com.au/ They should be able to make it for you if u give them dimensions and stuff. And I know u dont want to dig dirt, but if you call up a building company they'll dump clay at your front door, FREE OF CHARGE, cos I still reckon that dirt is just way too much fun
um, for that just go to like a Mitre 10 or something and they can give you details and stuff.
Looking forward to seeing the end result

mike&nat

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah that makes alot of sense?!?! nah im putting one in the top right of the pic as a berm into it

-Jordan-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was talking about something like this.

Not a wallride as such really... just something a local skatepark had, was always fun to go along, get some speed out of it.

mike&nat

Likes Bikes and Dirt
anyone know a place in sydney that just has alot of scap/junk wood for free to take? or for cheap

go to building sites and just take their scrap or if you fell like breaking the law steal it
form ply is awesume for backyard skateparks if you dont want dirt ground and you can use it for the decks and trannies and speed ramps if you need em

Rickystp0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
http://www.jebikes.com/rampplans.shtml
^^^^^^^^ best site i rekon, half pipes, kickers, landers, fun box, rails coping everything. yeh building a kicker and a lander atm, and maybe the half pipe for my farm. my dad is building a new factory so i got all his offcuts, 2.5 cm ply, a pallet load of it 2x1 metre. ill post pics when im done