• No

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
why would i start a bike build, and not finish it
i never touched the new frame pre build
i did help with his old bike.
i know that the cranks he used required spacers on the BB, a single 2.5mm each side
it is still a bad experience, that the mechanic, did not see that the crank was loose.
when built and doing the limit screws on the single derailleur, that is on the bike.
Luckily, my freind, hasnt had time to ride the bike often enough, for an accident to happen
And i spotted it before a trip to the dentist happened.
Call Bullshit, if you want. but i know enough,about building and maintaining bikes
To know when i see a sloppy bad bike build too
Are you some sort of spoken word poet?

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
It is my bike. A couple of things:

1. Cranks were 3x9? Shimano Deore's, not Saints. And yes I do have Saints (68-73), but not on this bike.

2. The bike has been ridden three times since December last year (when it was put together). I literally only use it in the front yard to balance/track stand/hop etc and chase my 4 yo on her bike. So didn't notice any side to side play in the cranks. I had it built as I don't have many tools and I was a bit bummed at the time as I had just been made redundant a few weeks before Christmas, and just wanted it to work.

3. The cranks and drivetrain were pulled off my old P3 by the bike mechanic. The setup had been ridden maybe half a dozen times before issues with the fork lead me to spit it with the bike and deciding on a new hardtail (old bike 2000 P3). New bike is an NS Clash.

4. The cranks and drivetran were cleaned and freshly lubed before going on the P3.

5. The bike mechanic was used by others I know.

6. And no, I can't remember his name as the cranks were only discovered as an issue when we had it on the stand to lube the pistons on my Avids as they were sticking.

7. Thread isn't really worth running, I can't remember his name and I won't be using anyone other than a few people we know.

Last edited:

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
Maybe not.
That is my Heckler, not my old P3 which was gutted for my NS Clash.

Like many on here, I have more than one bike........................................................................................................................

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Like many on here, I have more than one bike........................................................................................................................
more than one bike???? No! That's crazy talk!

No, you can't look in my shed! Get away!

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry. Your story is bullshit. Threaten to name and shame....then claim you can't remember name.
Fess up...you of your mate fitted the Saint cranks. Otherwise, give me a name and number of said mechanic, and I'll follow up on him.
OR, they have their own mobile mechanic business and this is an attempt to throw mud around...

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
why would i start a bike build, and not finish it
i never touched the new frame pre build
i did help with his old bike.
i know that the cranks he used required spacers on the BB, a single 2.5mm each side
it is still a bad experience, that the mechanic, did not see that the crank was loose.
when built and doing the limit screws on the single derailleur, that is on the bike.
Luckily, my freind, hasnt had time to ride the bike often enough, for an accident to happen
And i spotted it before a trip to the dentist happened.
Call Bullshit, if you want. but i know enough,about building and maintaining bikes
To know when i see a sloppy bad bike build too
Please, pretty please, learn where a comma is appropriate and where it is not.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I have never even heard of a mobile bicycle mechanic. Is this a city thing? I can see the worth in it, that is until the world see's that the alleged mobile mechanic is a half wit.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Saints are only single ring, AGAIK, and a missing BB spacer isn't going to cause cranks to fall off with Shimano.
My prediction. Your/his cranks are 83mm. Most Saint are. Your frame is 68/73. No amount of spacers can take up that 10mm of axle properly.
I actually don't really buy your story. Did you/mate fit cranks or the mechanic? Honestly....
So... Over the years I have:
- Had a saint crank capable of running up to 3 chain rings. I filed down the granny tabs to run it as a single ring. This was about 3 years ago.
- Had multiple 68/73mm bb saint cranks and bottom brackets. For a while the Saint bottom bracket was always on sale and came in gold, so it was my go to.
- Once and once only I ran a gravity/fsa 83mm axle crank on a 68/73mm frame. The frame was a mountain cycle battery. It had ridiculously fat chain stays and I needed to space out the bottom bracket and then the Crank even further to prevent the pedals from fouling on the frame.

This thread is weird.
Really wierd. I can't believe I allowed myself to be sucked into it.

I have never even heard of a mobile bicycle mechanic. Is this a city thing? I can see the worth in it, that is until the world see's that the alleged mobile mechanic is a half wit.
All the rage among us busy city folk. I've even heard of employers contracting mobile mechanics to attend their workplaces and service staff bikes as part of an incentive to encourage cycling to work etc.

Pretty sure everybody has encountered dodgy work at some stage of their life. I have a short list of shops and even mechanics that I trust and a long list of those I don't.

moorey

call me Mia
There's on on here...mike someone. A few around.

moorey

call me Mia
So... Over the years I have:
- Had a saint crank capable of running up to 3 chain rings. I filed down the granny tabs to run it as a single ring. This was about 3 years ago.
- Had multiple 68/73mm bb saint cranks and bottom brackets. For a while the Saint bottom bracket was always on sale and came in gold, so it was my go to.
- Once and once only I ran a gravity/fsa 83mm axle crank on a 68/73mm frame. The frame was a mountain cycle battery. It had ridiculously fat chain stays and I needed to space out the bottom bracket and then the Crank even further to prevent the pedals from fouling on the frame.

Correct. On the 3x. My bad. And like I said, some are 68-73 (I have some), but sounds like 83 fitted here. Yet to clarify that that aren't.

Really wierd. I can't believe I allowed myself to be sucked into it.

I'm trying. I'm also slightly petty.

All the rage among us busy city folk. I've even heard of employers contracting mobile mechanics to attend their workplaces and service staff bikes as part of an incentive to encourage cycling to work etc.

Tatewinchester comes and fucks things at your home.

Pretty sure everybody has encountered dodgy work at some stage of their life. I have a short list of shops and even mechanics that I trust and a long list of those I don't
Sure. But this story just doesn't add up.
I'm nitpicking

Nautonier

Eats Squid
The other day i was working on my freinds bike, lubing the pistons on his avids
when i noticed the cranks were
sloppy,
The mobile mechanic, who had done a frame&fork swap
hadn't used BB spacers on the 68mm threaded BB.
which could have ended at the Dentist.
i noticed the
Grease, was the same, as the last time i had worked on his old frame
LazY
fuck, hadnt even wiped down treads on BB and regreased,or cleaned threads in the new frame.
Is this a name and
Shame, or has it happened to others ?
I'm trying to decipher the subtext...