Balance Bike Build

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
It's been a while since any action in this thread
Spose it's because I'm in no rush, my daughter strung together 7 and then 8 steps in a row on her birthday the first week of August and Christmas is ages away :)

I've had a change of builders and one of these in red is due at Christmas time.

20140713kumobalancebike.jpg

jrewing

Eats Squid
Get him on one. My boy used his as a walkng aid. Was riding it in his ones... Looked weird. Was on his little honda at 3.

Just turned 6 and and has 20inch scott with front suspension and rides the adult tracks at Hornsby.

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt
Get him on one. My boy used his as a walkng aid. Was riding it in his ones... Looked weird. Was on his little honda at 3.

Just turned 6 and and has 20inch scott with front suspension and rides the adult tracks at Hornsby.
sounds like an adventure and a half!

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
Forgot to upload photos of the final build, my bad.

Maaike is just past 18 months old now and scooting around on her cheap plastic motorbike trike her grandfather got her for her first birthday. We're slowly working her up to the Kumo, she can sit on it and start moving forward but loses it as soon as she turns. PLan is for her to have this until she is 3 or so and then pass it on to a future sibling.

P1100665_zps345b6030.jpg

P1100669_zps7a4feda6.jpg

P1100674_zps53d485d8.jpg

P1100671_zps91ccceb1.jpg

P1100676_zps3114ec5e.jpg

P1100677_zps1a04ea6b.jpg

P1100678_zps2b26ef4a.jpg

P1100680_zpsdd9b51a3.jpg

Last edited:

hathill

Likes Dirt
That looks effing awful. Just sayin'

Bonus came through on Friday.

Time to talk to my frame builder again, last we talked he put me off titanium and disc brakes and told me to check out the stainless steel from KVA, http://www.kvastainless.com/bicycles/ and think about some XTR V-Brakes.

Really liking the look of the Greenhorn as a guide of what I want in a frame. Just not sure about the form crown and the bottom bracket areas. Would prefer a more Unicrown look.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Keep updating how your grommie is progressing. My gal is a month older. Just trying to get her on hers.

crummy?

Likes Dirt
Re cycle

Shaped up this little beastie from a curb-side clean-up bike. Ditched as many steel parts as possible, removed the seat-stays, adjusted the geometry.

DSC06770.jpg

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Shaped up this little beastie from a curb-side clean-up bike. Ditched as many steel parts as possible, removed the seat-stays, adjusted the geometry.
Good job. I was just at a mates for a few days with my grom. They bought their kid more new plastic crap in that time than I have in a year I'd say.
I wanted to start a recycle kids bike page on FaceBook. Haven't got round to it yet.
Do kids even get to ride bikes that size with pedals now? I just refurbished one for my two year old, but guessing she'll just be on balance bikes till she's too big for it anyway.