Balance bike recommendations

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Will have to check stand over height. Does the Cruzee have inflatable tyres? I can't wait to get her out rolling around!!
Nah it's got solids but the rims are tube compatible, so once the solid core wears out you can replace with proper rubber. However I can't see it being needed.
If you can find one, I reckon the kokua jumper is the pick!

Mud Gecko

Likes Bikes
I bought my daughter a Strider when she was 2, they are great. She has a Spesh Hotrock now but still rides the Strider too. I don't mind the solid tyres, they last forever and no punctures to repair or tubes to inflate...

dbaker2060

Cannon Fodder
Go the Cruzee; did a lot of research for my 2 year old and two big positives for me - it can grow with your child via the adjustable seat and bars and more importantly, it is super light. You will be doing a lot of carrying........

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Others to consider are the Early Rider Alley Runner 14 and the Kokua Jumper (from Likeabike) if you want off-road worthy suspension.

In 3 years of balance biking my son had exactly zero punctures. Leave the solid tyres for the shopping cart. Give your child the gift of grip.

Last edited:

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't mind the solid tyres, they last forever and no punctures to repair or tubes to inflate...
Ditto with the first bike - although he insists we pump them up before a ride anyway (I have tubeless on my bike, so I usually check them before I go for a ride...)

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Be a tight arse and keep a look out on hard rubbish :)

I built one for my 1st but I think the cruzee is a good thing.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for all of the recommendations people!

The kokua jumper looks excellent. Probably a bit out of my price range.

Definitely want something with tubes. It's great to get some feedback on what other people have actually used (or their children have)

I will peruse the linked thread when i am not at work.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Thanks for all of the recommendations people!

The kokua jumper looks excellent. Probably a bit out of my price range.

Definitely want something with tubes. It's great to get some feedback on what other people have actually used (or their children have)
I have ridden the Cruzee, takes my weight (60kg) and hauls down hills pretty well ;)

One of my Neighbour kids has the kokua jumper, once my girl is big enough it's what I'll trade up to as we are a Mtb family and she already wants to get her Cruzee on dirt when she's not even quite 2 yet 'cos that's what mum and dad do.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Be a tight arse and keep a look out on hard rubbish :)

I built one for my 1st but I think the cruzee is a good thing.
I'm looking at doing the same thing for my kid at the moment (building the bike that is). How'd it go for you, any tips or resources you could share?

If it'll only turn out to be a bodgy job, I'd rather not do it as I wouldn't want to put the little guy off riding because of his first bike. On the other hand, if it can be done effectively, it's a nice personal touch!

Jay Taylor

Likes Bikes
I got one of the Giant ones but my little fella has the same vertical impediment as his parents so it required removal the seat and seat shim, flipping the seat post and drilling new holes and fitting the seat without the shim in order to be able to use the seat clamp with the seat in the "fully slammed" position.

It's functional, but looks ass. As soon as he's tall enough I will reverse it again.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I got one of the Giant ones but my little fella has the same vertical impediment as his parents so it required removal the seat and seat shim, flipping the seat post and drilling new holes and fitting the seat without the shim in order to be able to use the seat clamp with the seat in the "fully slammed" position.

It's functional, but looks ass. As soon as he's tall enough I will reverse it again.

I'll be in this territory with my little man. 1 month premature, and now almost 4 months old he's under the 5% line for height and weight, I can see the need for custom.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid

I posted this in the other balance bike thread but may as well repost it here re: short kids keen to ride!

27/4/2915

1.89 kg for my daughters cruzee.... But I shaved down the seat and cut the seat post to slam it. She is 78.5cm tall but kind of short legs, nappy adds height too. Another few cm and she should be sweet, but for now she likes it and asks to go for a ride by going up and honking the horn. I support her shoulders and she takes off for a few steps and then I grab her again. With shoes on she gets a little more clearance too.

Cut down post to lower seat until it fouled on rear wheel

cutout to fit over back wheel and nose of seat cutout to sit flush on top tube

She now can ride on her own unassisted as she's grown tall enough - 82cm as of last week.

This was just a posed pic.... She rides with a helmet outside the house.

Last edited: