Balance Bikes

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My girls really excelled on the first bike as a balance bike.

Super light, big moto style saddle, no nobbies but did have a brake which never got used as they just opted for feet.

Got a 16" early rider belter and a 20" early rider belter. Super light weight.

My youngest (that can ride) progressed from the first bike to the pedal bike (early rider belter) in about 15 mins which was incredible.

She does still struggle using the brakes though. I think the reach on the brake lever really needs to be close to the handlebars so they can keep a firm grip on the bars when engaging the brake(s)

My eldest progressed heaps when she got a light bike with (3) gears and disk brakes. I take her down proper mountain bike trails now. It is the best.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ausdb

Being who he is
+1 on the first bike,
I bought my son a first bike cross (knobby tyre model with brake) for his second birthday with the optional lowering brackets. He got the hang of it reasonably well (started with a micro scooter and the saddle attachment when he was about 18 months old) and was using the brake lever by the time he was 3.
The next bike was a mongoose lil goose at 4 which was almost a step back with coaster brake and training wheels, he stayed on the first bike for ages until he was almost too big for the mongoose. He actually progressed better when I took the trainer wheels off.
For his 6th birthday I picked up a Superfly 20 off gumtree and at 8 he's starting to outgrow it.
His little sister who's 3 and a half has shown no interest in any of it!! (maybe because nothing is pink)

Another plus on the first bikes, they are pretty light and with a small tie down strap and the holes in the frame it's pretty easy to make a shoulder strap to carry it around when they have had enough riding.