BALFA Belair... Hell yeah!

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After searching for a tough XC/Trail bike I ended up getting the Balfa Belair frame and building it up.
So far I have been bedding it in with some hard XC work and it's going great!

Specs are:
Frame: '05 Balfa Belair with Manitou Swinger 4 way (4.5inches)- Sexy Metallic Blue
Wheels: Mavic 317's laced onto DT Swiss hubs
Brakes: Juicy Three's
Shifter: Sram X7
Mech: X9 Rear, XT Front
Cockpit: RaceFace Evolve XC
Seat: SDG Belair
Seatpost: Truvativ
Headset: FSA OrbitX
Cranks: RaceFace Evolve XC

Attachments

Last edited:

rtd

Likes Dirt
Fresh prince represent! Have always loved the look of those frames, the build looks solid and versatile. Enjoy it.

chu

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wow a balfa...i love it...but that is a strange spot to have a shock? hows it ride?

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fresh prince represent!
Haha... Love it!!

wow a balfa...i love it...but that is a strange spot to have a shock? hows it ride?
It's good, a little bob when i'm climbing but it's definitely an XC bike built by a downhill focused company... it feels so strong.

My aim is to gradually spec it lighter!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey there that is a nice bike how does it feel on the track? is it custom built?
Thanks mate, yeah, it feels really nice! As I mentioned it is a little heavier than is ideal for a pure XC bike but I will working on trimming it down. On the climb it does have a bit of bob which makes it a little tougher but on smooth flowing single track and when it's pointing down there is no stopping it!

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Love it,wish I never sold mine. I ran a single front ring that I think was about pivot height,didn't bob much at all. Mine weighed 27lbs from memory,with 521s,Fatish tyres and with Maverick forks I think. hella fun. The frames lighter than a steel hardtail but still has a steel rear end. Shock placement is a good design but limits choices.
Enjoy it.

fizzles

Likes Bikes
nice bike mate. would u like me to teach you how to lower the seat :D haha i bet it rides real smooth. keep it real!!

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nice bike mate. would u like me to teach you how to lower the seat :D haha i bet it rides real smooth. keep it real!!
I prefer my bikes to fit rather than look 'cool'! haha

I'm 6'4" so it's gotta be up there unfortunatley!

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Very interesting design. I love the shock mounting. Would it be possible to fit a Fox RP23 in there? Then you could fix the pedal bob with the ProPedal setting.

I love exotic bikes!

NoFearNick7

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Using my seatpost I see :cool: Shame you didn't need the other parts, it looks really nice built up! See a few threads down and you can see your frame completely built up!

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What would anyone suggest is the first things I need to do to reduce the weight on this baby??

stabbsy

Likes Dirt
well wheels are always the first things to be uprgraded, but also you could have a complete drivechain overhaul. there is the issue of budget and riding style, but from looking at the pics it looks like the first thing to be upgrade would be the seatpost, and also loose that heavy front tyre

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, I have another Larson TT ready to go on the front... that Kenda is way too heavy.

I have a few seatposts, I might have to check them out... I like the adjustability of the Truvativ with the doublt bolt clasp.