XC Banshee Spitfire - AM/XC

Pixsoul

Regulating n00bs
Frame- Banshee Spitfire Large

Fork- Rockshox Revelation Team -Dual Air UTurn

Shock (Rear)- Fox RP23

Headset- Banshee Munro

Drive-train - SRAM X9 Triggers & Rear Mech. X7 Front Mech. Raceface Deus XC Cranks

Brakes- Avid Elixer CR 160/R Rotors

Pedals- Shimano XT

Wheels- Hope Pro II w/ Mavic 819 UST Rims

Tires- Schwalbe Racing Ralphs TR

Weight - 13.2kg

spitfire1.jpg

spitfire2.jpg

Well, it's been over 2-2.5 years since I've ridden MTB due to problematic shoulders and getting recos. But back on the dirt again with a Banshee Spitfire, which is an absolute dream to ride. I only got an hour squirt out yesterday at Lysto but it climbs fantasticly, descends equally and just begs to go faster than my current fitness level can warrant! Running the bike in it's steeper geo setting, but I was running the forks at 5-6", less than that felt a bit steep for my personal preferences and this wasn't raked out at all, didn't wander on climbs or anything and was definitely confidence inspiring on the descents.

Thanks to Jay @ Banshee for the hookup and Darren @ Barspin for facilitating, top blokes and as always from Banshee a top bike! :D

Last edited:

cressa

Likes Dirt
Nice. I am waiting on delivery of a XL Spitfire in Raw through Darren at the moment, I can't wait to have it up and running. I think you have to change it to the slack setting for your next ride and let the fun factor of the low BB and 66.~ degree head angle out to play. Be interesting to hear your ride reports between the two settings. I can't see myself ever putting it into the steeper setting.

By the way, how tall are you and how does the large fit?

Pixsoul

Regulating n00bs
Nice. I am waiting on delivery of a XL Spitfire in Raw through Darren at the moment, I can't wait to have it up and running. I think you have to change it to the slack setting for your next ride and let the fun factor of the low BB and 66.~ degree head angle out to play. Be interesting to hear your ride reports between the two settings. I can't see myself ever putting it into the steeper setting.

By the way, how tall are you and how does the large fit?
I'm 183cm, 6ft on the knocker. The large fits like a glove.

Yeah, I should give the slack setting a run to see the difference...but TBH I doubt I'll run it permanently, as I'm using this bike for XC/Trail, If I wanted something for more aggressive riding I would have got a Rune again. I'll give it a go and let you know though, I think it would make it a bit slower and less direct on the climbs and faster on the descents...but I want the opposite these days. I can handle the descents fine, but need all the assistance I can get climbing or on the flat to keep that train rollin'.

cressa

Likes Dirt
A lot of people have commented on other forums that they prefer the way the bike pedals in the slack setting which I found interesting?? Looking forward to some real world testing of my own.

I'm 6'5, hence the XL but I was tempted to go a large just because XL looks and reads huge. But I guess I have the length to match.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd be really interested to hear how this rides (especially in the slack setting) vs the Rune. Looking at getting a bike along these lines, and I'm really not sure which end of AM I want.

Bike looks great too.

Pixsoul

Regulating n00bs
A lot of people have commented on other forums that they prefer the way the bike pedals in the slack setting which I found interesting?? Looking forward to some real world testing of my own.

I'm 6'5, hence the XL but I was tempted to go a large just because XL looks and reads huge. But I guess I have the length to match.
You definitely have the height for the XL, L is perfect for me at 183cm / 6'.

Also, I reckon those people were smoking crack who prefer the way the bike pedals in the slack setting! I tried the bike out today for 45 minutes in the slack and then put it back to the XC setting. The XC setting pedals far superior, the bike feels like it doesn't sag through as much travel when you're on the gas, the pedals strokes are very noticably more direct in pushing you forwards. Also I think the bike overall handles MUCH better in the XC setting, the bike is more balance, you can turn harder and faster, hold lines better.

Personal preference of course, but I think the bike is absolutely DYNAMITE in the XC mode. I'm not a fan of the slack setting, it handles well still but just feels like a general trail bike. In the XC setting the Spitfire truly feels like something special. Even my mate commented on how much more quickly I was dropping him in that mode (I was still dropping him in the other mode :biggrin:).

G-fish, I'd say that in the slack setting it probably felt very similar to my old Rune...been over 2.5 years since I rode it though. But I remember it riding fairly similar...the Spitfire in XC mode I felt was much better at both ascending and descending...but these are XC descents, the Rune would still get amongst it on a DH track where the Spitfire would be less comfortable.

Put it this way, if you want to point the bike down the hill more then get a Rune. If you want to point it up, across and down then the Spitfire is going to be a better bike.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I think all the talk is about the slack setting being superior for pedalling is specific related to pedalling in a 22t ring.

Also, with the amount of anti-squat these bikes have, there is a big difference between sit-and-spin and standing up to mash on the pedals.

Sweet bike Pixsoul :thumb:

Pixsoul

Regulating n00bs
I think all the talk is about the slack setting being superior for pedalling is specific related to pedalling in a 22t ring.

Also, with the amount of anti-squat these bikes have, there is a big difference between sit-and-spin and standing up to mash on the pedals.

Sweet bike Pixsoul :thumb:
Thanks Ivan.

22t....what pansy uses that!!?!?! ;) I generally only ever use middle ring, so all my riding is on the 32t currently and I generally don't stand up and mash, I would more describe my style as "sit and mash". Only way to do climbs is to power on through it, quicker you're up there, the quicker its over! :)

Ivan

Eats Squid
Thanks Ivan.

22t....what pansy uses that!!?!?! ;) I generally only ever use middle ring, so all my riding is on the 32t currently and I generally don't stand up and mash, I would more describe my style as "sit and mash". Only way to do climbs is to power on through it, quicker you're up there, the quicker its over! :)
I am guessing, but after spending some time on a VF4B bike, I would say that the suspension has been optimised around sit-and-spin.

I am one of those pansies.:cheer2:

needaride

Likes Dirt
sick bike man.. i am very tempted by the mid travel banshee range... as mentioned above, the rune/spitfire dilemma. Would love to hear how it rides.

Pixsoul

Regulating n00bs
sick bike man.. i am very tempted by the mid travel banshee range... as mentioned above, the rune/spitfire dilemma. Would love to hear how it rides.
Climbs like a hardtail. Descends like a downhill bike with 8".......ahahahahahah ;)

Nah, seriously it's an absolute ripper of an all mountain / XC bike. I 110% prefer it in the XC shock setting (steeper setting), it really propels forwards well under steam and corners superbly with this setup. The pedalling efficiency is great when seated, there is a fair bit of anti-squat when you stand up, but this helps to keep the wheel planted and doesnt bob down, so not a bad thing. I'm running the forks at full 150mm travel setting and I just leave them at that for everything, works well and geo is perfect for all round.

Descending is great, I've done some decent drops and jumps on it and didn't bottom out even though I'm running a reasonably soft setup on the shock (fox rp23). The rear stays planted on everything, just loves to soak up the rough stuff and stay planted, feels great and encourages you to open up the throttle.

I'd highly recommend it for anything XC->Trail, It's far better than the Rune for XC stuff and still descends awesomely although you wouldn't race it DH as I would have done on the Rune.