Bar ends

Bar ends for mountain biking, what happened? I still use mine whenever climbing but they seem to have gone to the wayside on new bikes. What's the deal?

moorey

call me Mia
People used to ride velocipedes, pushing their bike along with their feet. What happened to THAT, is my question. :noidea:

Ivan

Eats Squid
Look at Ergon GP grips.

Nino Schurter still uses Bar Ends. I think as peoples preference for bar width has gotten wider, bar ends have become too dangerous. Maybe :noidea:

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Used to have ones with a curve rather than straight - I used them to fend off trees and vines. If the curve goes in an inch or 2 it means you bounce off a tree if you catch one - straight ones are well.........not

Took me off years ago - slave to fashion I am

Definitely look worth trying. I'm getting a new bike that doesn't have bar ends. Will be interesting to see how I go after years of riding with them.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think riding has changed a lot from the 90's when bar ends were normal, everything has changed, the bikes are different and the trails are different.

golden path

Banned
I used to use them religiously when I rode flat bar hardtails.

For a change I whipped them off one day after I went from 80 to 100mm on my HT and never noticed much difference. And TBH I appreciated the increased useable bar width with the longer travel fork and slightly floppier front end on climbs.

Once risers started to be specced on all kinds of MTB that was the death knell for bar ends.

FYI, my old Klein HT had a 150mm Syncros stem and bar ends. Talk about a stretching rack. You could hang a week's washing off all that space. :D

TBH, if you haven't owned purple ano bar ends, you haven't lived! :cheer2:

Flow-Rider

Burner
I still have bar ends on my flat bar MTB commuter, don't use them that often but it's good to change hand positions on long rides.