Bashguard

tteerrrryy

Likes Bikes
Hi all - Im looking to protect my front crankset (Shimano XT FC-M770). I ride a XC bike and I am always scared to jump 'bigger' objects just in case i fuk up and collect the crank! So looking for that protection so i can start jumpin bigger things.

I'm trying to work out if i should just get a bashguard -or- should i go for what seems to be bashguard and chain guide all-in-one?

Only reason im thinking of the chain guide is cos it seems to lift the chain givin extra clearance..

please let me know what you think

Cheers,
Terry

Last edited:

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Unless your doing downhill xc and regualarly coming across rock gardens, obstacles etc. a chainguide is really unnecesary. Just get a bash guard. It will give you more confdence and you can learn the right technique to get over stuff without even hitting your bash guard.

objet

Likes Bikes
I have that same XT crankset 22/32/44. I have ditched the 44 to put a bashie on. So I got a new Shimano Saint plastic bashie and IT DOESN'T FIT! :confused: It's the right size etc, the problem is that the chainring bolt heads are a smaller diameter than the holes in the bashie. I ended up putting on an old RaceFace bashie that I had hanging around.
Let me know if you find a Shimano one that fits.
I definitely recommend getting a bashie over a dual-ring chainguide unless you have been dropping the chain pretty regularly.

There is a different model of XT crankset that has a sort-of bashie bolted to the 44 ring, though you can't expect it to take much damage and it will make your clearance worse for log rollovers etc.

Get rid of the big ring, add a bashie and make the middle ring bigger as need be, maybe 36 or even 38?

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for that, can you recommend a bash guard that doesnt require me to lose the 3rd ring?

e.thirteen seems to.
if youre worried about "collecting your crank" a bashguard protect against that.
A bashguard protects the chainrings from being hit by obstacles.

What sort of objects are you jumping?

From your very brief description it doesnt sound like you need a bashguard.
You wont encounter rockgardens at highspeeds like in DH that require bashguard protection

Bashrings generally replace the biggest ring on you crankset (unless you have dedicated single ring guide that uses a bash plate eg e13 taco on the backplate of the chain guide)

You dont need to lift the chain to give you extra clearance, thats not a problem.

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have that same XT crankset 22/32/44. I have ditched the 44 to put a bashie on. So I got a new Shimano Saint plastic bashie and IT DOESN'T FIT! :confused: It's the right size etc, the problem is that the chainring bolt heads are a smaller
You could use some washers

objet

Likes Bikes
You could use some washers
My LBS seemed to think I shouldn't have to...maybe it's just not mean to be on there. It's an 07 Saint bashie and 08 XT crankset. There's only about 1mm of space for the washers to sit on, though if it was all tightened up it should be OK.

I'll try the washer idea, I'd like to keep the bashie as it's lighter, looks better and will probably handle the same amount of damage I'm likely to give it.

tteerrrryy

Likes Bikes
Get rid of the big ring, add a bashie and make the middle ring bigger as need be, maybe 36 or even 38?
I never really considered this an option (removing ring) however i may have to now think about this option.

What sort of objects are you jumping?
Anything that comes my way really. I'm still learning and getting my confidence up.. However getting over some logs at low speeds have caught me!

Cheers

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My LBS seemed to think I shouldn't have to...maybe it's just not mean to be on there. It's an 07 Saint bashie and 08 XT crankset. There's only about 1mm of space for the washers to sit on, though if it was all tightened up it should be OK.

I'll try the washer idea, I'd like to keep the bashie as it's lighter, looks better and will probably handle the same amount of damage I'm likely to give it.
If you look at the e13 supercharger they are shipped with washers to disperse the load on to the bashie from an impact to prevent cracking which is most likely to occur in the vicinity of the bolt bashie interface.

It does sound though that the holes are on the large side in your case

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I never really considered this an option (removing ring) however i may have to now think about this option.

Anything that comes my way really. I'm still learning and getting my confidence up.. However getting over some logs at low speeds have caught me!

Cheers
i think you should be more worried with chainring protection riding over logs rather than landing on rocks. If your landing in rocks that would require a bashie at speed on a XC bike its likely other components will fail first like wheels.

tteerrrryy

Likes Bikes
i think you should be more worried with chainring protection riding over logs rather than landing on rocks. If your landing in rocks that would require a bashie at speed on a XC bike its likely other components will fail first like wheels.
Sorry im a little confused, the bash guard is for chain ring protection.. right?

I have got a Scott Scale 20, and im hoping other components will be strong enough? if you know of components that arn't let me know please :)

http://www.scott-sports.com/gb_en/product/375/632/scale_20

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bashy connects to chain ring..

what size is you largest chain ring?
no bash guard replaces the largest chain ring

(im not counting the supermarket attachments to the largest chain ring
that appear that they provide any protection)

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry im a little confused, the bash guard is for chain ring protection.. right?

I have got a Scott Scale 20, and im hoping other components will be strong enough? if you know of components that arn't let me know please :)

http://www.scott-sports.com/gb_en/product/375/632/scale_20
Yes chainring protection

Your bike is very well speced XC bike.

What im trying to say is if youre jumping and worried about hitting your chainring on obstacles. This means your landing on rocks or loggs at speed, which will damage your wheel set. You have good wheelset however its an XC wheelset which will dent/buckle/crack
upon impacts to jagged rocks and obstacles because it is lightweight. Even top of the line DH wheelset do that to lesser extent obviously.

Looking at your bike the only thing youd need a bashguard for is riding over logs.

You seem to want the bashguard to protect your chainrings from jumps which I dont think
you would need unless youre doing DH type riding

BTW nice ride

tteerrrryy

Likes Bikes
Thanks for that RaID, yeh i love my bike and i dont want to hurt it, hehe -

Logs are the only thing that i have hit with the chain ring, no damage to it yet.

I think im just gonna have to get more skill! - Know where i can get some? :rolleyes:

objet

Likes Bikes
I'm pretty sure blackspire make a product called the "big ring protector" or something like that. It is designed for use on 3 ring setups to prevent the biggest ring from getting hammered by logs etc.
Nice work. I had no idea you could get a bashie to protect 3 rings.