Battle of the Funduro bikes! Another X vs X thread.

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
Hello Farkiners of the old and Rotorburners of the new

I'm in the market for a new enduro bike and was seeking to gain some real world feedback from riders who have either ridden one or more of these bikes.

What I want in a bike: One that is relatively lightweight to account for my lack of fitness, one that pedals decently (again to account for my lack of fitness), and one that will allow me to push my boundaries. I want modern geo, slack, long, low. One that will let me wear goggles and my pyjamas whilst riding and which will allow me to use words such as "shred, loam, yeeeeow, yea boi, scrub, whip" etc

What I don't want: Not interested in a Reign. Not interested in used as I want warranty and to support a LBS and have them support me too. Not interested in online bikes either. I'm not interested in a 140/150mm bike like a Trek Remedy or Norco Sight; I currently have a Fuel Ex9 which is my trail bike and I feel as though they would be too similar.

What bikes I'm looking at: The three bikes I'm toying with are the 2016 Trek Slash 9.8, 2015 Devinci Spartan and 2016 Norco Range C7.2 - all of these can be had for under $7k which is where I want to keep my budget. I don't care if X bike is X cheaper, my only monetary criteria is that its under $7k - I would rather a $7k bike that I want than a $1k bike that is ok, ya feels?

To provide a really high level summary of what I've read about these bikes is:

Trek Slash - Really great all around enduro bike that doesn't mind less tame trails. Adjustable geo, lightweight at 12.7kg (without pedals) and lifetime warranty. Ugly as dogs balls, probably 2nd highest spec. In my mind this bike is a Camry of the enduro world, just gets it done without too much hassle and a great warranty.

Devinci Spartan Carbon - Really confused by some reviews, some say its a ploughmans bike, some say its poppy and playful, all say that it has pretty average pedaling ability and is quite weighty. Sizing is weird apparently with shorter top tubes than modern geo. No water bottle holder (yes that's important) and adjustable geo. Visually the bike gives me a very strange boner, I like it, but I don't. Canadian made, it's a Devinci (that apparently means something to some people) and has the lowest spec of the three. In my mind this is like buying a used sports saloon, probably a hell of a lot of fun but will have its quirks that'll piss me off.

Norco Range c.72 - All reviews are quite consistent in that its a rad descender and pedals quite well. It comes with the new 170mm lyrik fork (boner) and has the best Spec. The Cane Creek scares me though, too many fucking knobs - I have one knob I already play with too much I don't need a bazillion, wtf is low speed rebound, stfu. All reviewers said that the chain kept falling off, easy fix with guide though. I liken this car to a Golf GTI, well spec'd, good fun, but I'll look like a tosser.

Last edited:

dk_vinnie

Likes Bikes
Im also checking out the latest offerings of "funduro" bikes. and to be honest All the bikes you have shortlisted are probably on the lower end of my list. It seems you have takin a liking to the more "baby" end of the "Funduro" bikes as apposed the the burlyer borderline park bikes. I understand why you would like to support your LBS but you cut out some seriously nice bikes being sold online at the moment like the YT Capra and the Canyon Strive all going for around the same money you would like to spend with much better spec options. But out of the 3 you have shortlisted I really don't think I would buy any but then again I haven't ridden any. If I was going to spend the money you were going to spend and wanted to buy from a shop I would have a good look and a Santa Cruz Bronson or if your pockets could go deeper a nomad but thats just me.

Last edited:

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
It seems you have takin a liking to the more "baby" end of the "Funduro" bikes as apposed the the burlyer borderline park bikes
Care to elaborate on how they are more ‘baby’ bikes? They compete in the same market and have virtually identical geo bar half a degree here or there. In fact the Slash and Spartan is actually slacker than the Canyon Strive you recommend.

I’d be all over the Capra if there was local support; I value being able to walk into a shop with an issue.

The Bronson and Nomad are great bikes but have awful value for money. Having owned boutique bikes in the past and having owned mass produced bikes as well I don’t put value on boutique frames. I’d get the spec of a $4k mass produced bike for $7k if I bought a Santa Cruz.

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
I have a Spartan Carbon, albeit a custom build by me as opposed to an off the shelf spec. I love it!

I ride a lot, including a lot of hills (120k and 3200m of climbing off road so far this week as a guide) and tbh I can't really fault it much. It does feel a bit shorter in reach than some bikes, and I agree the frame is slightly heavier than the equivalent Yeti or SC, but the build quality is awesome and it has a lifetime warranty I think from memory. Its also not a Yeti :)

It will absolutely plough over stuff. Even more so that the v2 rune I had before and that was running 180mm forks. It is quite good fun to ride, and seems to be fairly poppy if you want it in the air. I tend to try and stay on the ground and it really really shifts over very rough ground. Reviews i read suggest there isn't much faster on rough downhills in the class. I would have no concerns riding it day in day out in a bike park.

I have also raced several XC marathon type races on it including the 87k Flight Centre Epic which I came 50th in, so it is by no means a slow pedalling bike. I got 3rd in another 60k xc race much to the surprise of the majority of the field on 100mm travel 29" hardtails.

thread on my build:

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?283839-2015-Devinci-Spartan-Carbon

Having said that I am not sure there are many bad bikes really in that class. cna you get a test ride?

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
Having said that I am not sure there are many bad bikes really in that class. cna you get a test ride?
Thanks for the great input mate, I really appreciate your real world experiences with the bike. Pretty impressive results on an enduro bike at XC racers, I hope you were wearing baggies and an enduro helmet; xc whippets would have LOVED being passed by you.

Unfortunately I can't really test ride any of these bikes, so I'm going into it quite blind and relying on reviews and WOM.

Nice build on your Spartan; you've got some very high end light parts on there like your Next Cranks and Zelvy wheels - care to share the build weight?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Hello Farkiners of the old and Rotorburners of the new

I'm in the market for a new enduro bike and was seeking to gain some real world feedback from riders who have either ridden one or more of these bikes.

What I want in a bike: One that is relatively lightweight to account for my lack of fitness, one that pedals decently (again to account for my lack of fitness), and one that will allow me to push my boundaries. I want modern geo, slack, long, low. One that will let me wear goggles and my pyjamas whilst riding and which will allow me to use words such as "shred, loam, yeeeeow, yea boi, scrub, whip" etc

What I don't want: Not interested in a Reign. Not interested in used as I want warranty and to support a LBS and have them support me too. Not interested in online bikes either. I'm not interested in a 140/150mm bike like a Trek Remedy or Norco Sight; I currently have a Fuel Ex9 which is my trail bike and I feel as though they would be too similar.

What bikes I'm looking at: The three bikes I'm toying with are the 2016 Trek Slash 9.8, 2015 Devinci Spartan and 2016 Norco Range C7.2 - all of these can be had for under $7k which is where I want to keep my budget. I don't care if X bike is X cheaper, my only monetary criteria is that its under $7k - I would rather a $7k bike that I want than a $1k bike that is ok, ya feels?

To provide a really high level summary of what I've read about these bikes is:

Trek Slash - Really great all around enduro bike that doesn't mind less tame trails. Adjustable geo, lightweight at 12.7kg (without pedals) and lifetime warranty. Ugly as dogs balls, probably 2nd highest spec. In my mind this bike is a Camry of the enduro world, just gets it done without too much hassle and a great warranty.

Devinci Spartan Carbon - Really confused by some reviews, some say its a ploughmans bike, some say its poppy and playful, all say that it has pretty average pedaling ability and is quite weighty. Sizing is weird apparently with shorter top tubes than modern geo. No water bottle holder (yes that's important) and adjustable geo. Visually the bike gives me a very strange boner, I like it, but I don't. Canadian made, it's a Devinci (that apparently means something to some people) and has the lowest spec of the three. In my mind this is like buying a used sports saloon, probably a hell of a lot of fun but will have its quirks that'll piss me off.

Norco Range c.72 - All reviews are quite consistent in that its a rad descender and pedals quite well. It comes with the new 170mm lyrik fork (boner) and has the best Spec. The Cane Creek scares me though, too many fucking knobs - I have one knob I already play with too much I don't need a bazillion, wtf is low speed rebound, stfu. All reviewers said that the chain kept falling off, easy fix with guide though. I liken this car to a Golf GTI, well spec'd, good fun, but I'll look like a tosser.
Just get a Reign... Who cares what it looks like, who makes it and what anyone thinks. The frames are relatively less important beyond a certain point (and at this price point they're all good).

You'll get Pikes and all the good stuff and it will it be a lot more talented than you are (and me and 90% of riders....). I reckon they look the ducks nuts, but thats just me and as I said who cares what it looks like when you're a long way up and working out if you're going to land it in time to make the next corner.

dk_vinnie

Likes Bikes
Care to elaborate on how they are more ‘baby’ bikes? They compete in the same market and have virtually identical geo bar half a degree here or there. In fact the Slash and Spartan is actually slacker than the Canyon Strive you recommend.

I’d be all over the Capra if there was local support; I value being able to walk into a shop with an issue.

The Bronson and Nomad are great bikes but have awful value for money. Having owned boutique bikes in the past and having owned mass produced bikes as well I don’t put value on boutique frames. I’d get the spec of a $4k mass produced bike for $7k if I bought a Santa Cruz.
I understand that made really little sense. And its more of a personal bike use/aesthetic thing. I tend to spend a hell of a lot more time riding my "funduro" bike on tracks I should be riding my dh bike. so for this reason I look at the mid travel bikes a bit differently. I look at a C 7.2 and the spartan and I can only imagine that they are flexy and unforgiving when coming up short on jumps and bit kicky in rock gardens. And as I said before I ride mid travel bikes where they have no bussinus being. Im that guy who went to whistler with a zerode and came back the next year with a nomad running a coil. Im in the market at the moment for a mid travel bike that I can race DH events on. So my view is a bit tainted as Im not really looking to pedal up to much. So to answer your question I can't really its just me and my skewed view. If it looks flexy its baby if it huckable its not. I apologise in advance if this sounds cray. FYI my girlfriend just got her Capra today and it is Gangster as fuck I am red with jealous rage. The distributer is in NZ and so far seem to be on to it I would definitely give it serious thought.

dk_vinnie

Likes Bikes
Just get a Reign... Who cares what it looks like, who makes it and what anyone thinks. The frames are relatively less important beyond a certain point (and at this price point they're all good).

You'll get Pikes and all the good stuff and it will it be a lot more talented than you are (and me and 90% of riders....). I reckon they look the ducks nuts, but thats just me and as I said who cares what it looks like when you're a long way up and working out if you're going to land it in time to make the next corner.
+1 for what this guy says

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
You've made a massive assumption here; me not wanting a Reign has nothing to do with vanity - I've owned Reigns in the past and have test ridden new Reigns; they're just not my cup of tea.

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
I understand that made really little sense. And its more of a personal bike use/aesthetic thing.
Fair enough, everyone's entitled to their viewpoint but there is just very little in the numbers to suggest a Capra would be more capable than a Spartan / Slash / Range without having ridden any of the bikes. As I said before, I'd own a Capra in a heart beat if there was local support.

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
I hope you were wearing baggies
Always!! I even race my road bike in baggies :lol:

Nice build on your Spartan; you've got some very high end light parts on there like your Next Cranks and Zelvy wheels - care to share the build weight?
Short answer is I don't know. I have never actually weighed it. I would guess somewhere around 12.5-13 kgs as it sits at the moment on Maxxis 3c exo tyres (2.4 ardent or 2.35 Tomohawks) that I normally run.

I built it as light as i could without either making it unreliable, or getting ludicrously expensive as it was bad enough anyway!

Ps I also like the new Reigns!

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haven't owned a Slash or Range. Only had a go on a friend's Slash 8 from last year. Have owned a 2015 Remedy 9 and a 2015 Sight 7.2C thou. Remedy pedals better than the Sight. Both descend just as well as each other. Sight was an XL, which was too big for me and I knew it. Still, that wouldn't have changed it's climbing ability. Trek's rear suspension designs just works so god dam well. Makes the bike feel like it has more travel than it does. I really wanted to like my Sight (waited 4 months for it...) but I just couldn't find it excelling over the Remedy.

The Slash comes with the Monarch, which suits a longer travel bike better than what the DRCV shocks that used to come on them do. Swapped out the shock on one of the older (2012) Remedys with a Vivid Air and made it much smoother when descending and wasn't that much of a hassle when climbing back up. The DRCV works really well with the Fuel, but the DRCV shock on anything over 120mm and it's hard to find a balance.

Basically, would go a Slash over a Range. In terms of warranty, both distros (Trek Aus and Advanced Traders) are very good at handling them.

Not going to comment on the Devinci because I've had no experience with them, nor know who the distro is.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Fair enough. Catch is, if you're that picky it's clearly very personal tastes at play and I'd caution against buying anything worth this much based on reviews and feedback.

Anthony B

Likes Dirt
Dare I suggest another contender focus Sam, I only say this as I just build mine up owes me <5k weighs in at 13.7kg that will soon be less after pedals, bars, & seat post. Climbs well & so much more throwable compared to my previous sight

otherwise as mentioned the transition patrol is a solid option

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
Trek's rear suspension designs just works so god dam well. Makes the bike feel like it has more travel than it does. I really wanted to like my Sight (waited 4 months for it...) but I just couldn't find it excelling over the Remedy.

The Slash comes with the Monarch, which suits a longer travel bike better than what the DRCV shocks that used to come on them do. Swapped out the shock on one of the older (2012) Remedys with a Vivid Air and made it much smoother when descending and wasn't that much of a hassle when climbing back up. The DRCV works really well with the Fuel, but the DRCV shock on anything over 120mm and it's hard to find a balance.

Basically, would go a Slash over a Range. In terms of warranty, both distros (Trek Aus and Advanced Traders) are very good at handling them.
Great feedback mate; I can attest to the DRCV as I've got a Fuel Ex9 and agree with you in that they feel as though they have more travel than they do. Treks suspension platform is excellent which is why I've chosen the Slash as one of the contenders. In fact it was my only choice until I had a day off work sick and started doing more research haha

Do you still have the Sight? I've heard mixed reviews about the Sight but reviews on the Range have been quite consistent....

Fair enough. Catch is, if you're that picky it's clearly very personal tastes at play and I'd caution against buying anything worth this much based on reviews and feedback.
The fact that I don't want a Reign doesn't make me picky, just means I've ridden one and i'm not a fan :)

In the perfect world there would be a test bike of each, but unfortunately that's not the case. The only thing I can rely on is online reviews, talking to shops and feedback from experienced riders on RB.

T.3

Likes Dirt
Another suggestion that may fit your requirement Orbea Rallon X10. Comes in at 6k rrp and you can customise it somewhat to your tastes, for example upgrade the Fox fork and shock to BOS for around an extra $300.