Beach Road's 'Hell Ride' in The Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeeWee Adam

Likes Bikes
Harry Barber, who heads Bicycle Victoria, is in little doubt. "These are the cyclists' equivalent of illegal drag racers,"
I think that comment is abit harsh! and inteviewing Bike Vic is going to give you a one sided view, which was the way this whole atricle read.
Kind of strange how if you walked up to someone on the road and pushed them over and they died that you would get done for manslaughter, but on a bike it's o.k.
Now everyone knows what to do if they want to kill someone, just jump on a bike!

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I had a look and a couldn't mind anything else, so have a look.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...1156816899914.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Not being a road cyclist I don't really feel I can comment, but what does everyone else think?

~ Tom
Not being a roadie myself, but having ridden with the hell ride once or twice I think there's going to be the standard knee jerk reaction which will pass over in time. I definately feel sorry for the affected family however I believe it was more likely a freak accident on the road which honestly could have happened to any one of us. Imagine if the circumstances were different, not just running a red light but even hopping a gutter and onto the footpath for a second or riding through a shopping district and having someone walk out from behind a car. Same consequences to the pedestrian but far less outcry.
So while I don't condone the actions of the cyclist running the red light, I think the government and police have bigger fish to fry than to target cyclists who ride early in the morning on weekends.

---Matt---

Status
Not open for further replies.