Bearing press tools

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Had to do the suspension bearings on my Trance. The rocker and rear triangle are carbon fibre so the age old approach of cobbling together sockets and off cuts of bar-stock that fit wasn't going to cut it. All made from PE100 (a type of HDPE) which is very strong but soft enough that it won't damage/scratch the carbon. Couple of hours of programming/design, several minutes to machine up and then literally seconds to press out each bearing and put the new ones in.

I used my hydraulic press to remove the bearings but just a bench vise to put the bearings back in. Got me thinking that with a little redesign could probably use the bench vise for removing the bearings too (they are not in there particularly tight as the bearing seats are carbon fibre).

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For those of us less clever and creative, these guys also make pretty cheap and simple bearing tools.

Easy to deal with, relatively cheap and can get kits to suit your bike, bottom bracket, headset etc.

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
For those of us less clever and creative, these guys also make pretty cheap and simple bearing tools.

Easy to deal with, relatively cheap and can get kits to suit your bike, bottom bracket, headset etc.
Wow, they seem to be great VFM

SummitFever

Eats Squid

Their stuff looks OK and is relatively cheap but there's a few things that I don't like:

- for the Giant kits (haven't checked others) it looks like you hammer the bearings out which is playing with fire when you've got carbon fibre bearing seats and no way to guide the bearing out parallel to the seat;
- the bearing press mandrels don't have a relief for the inner race of the bearing so potentially you can side-load (and damage) the balls (eg. when pressing a bearing in you should only press on the outer race); and
- they're made from aluminium so could mark or damage your fancy cf frame.