beating those dam hills???

giant rock

Likes Bikes
I have been riding for a while now and I still get puffed out on the hills. How did you train to conquer the hills and get up them without puffing and looking like the hill was soo easy to do???????

Dug

Likes Dirt
I have been riding for a while now and I still get puffed out on the hills. How did you train to conquer the hills and get up them without puffing and looking like the hill was soo easy to do???????
What I do is find a big one and ride up it .... A LOT

Some are better at climbing than others.... just work at it;)

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
Try making riding hills less of a chore and more fun (it sounds stupid, but it works). Also look at your position on the bike, depending on the gradient on the climb... I tend to move forward towards the front of the saddle when grinding up the hills.

But yeah, there is no easy way to conquer hills without putting in the hard yards.

Mays86

Likes Bikes
Everytime i ride i always try and do at least 2 very very hard hills! Long and short ones fast and slow you just keep doing it and you will find you will improve! Dont be affraid of pain it's your friend

DaGonz

Eats Squid
it doesn't get any easier, you just go faster...

Cheers
Gonz

Mad German

Likes Dirt
The 3 step plan ;)
1.Find that damn hill
2. Ride up the hill
3. Repeat step 2 as many times as you want
4. If you're done with Step 3 do another three or four repetitions

You know, I've got 114kg to carry up the hills (plus bike), and the only real motivation is ............. the downhill afterwards. Seriously; I fight my way up the hills for hours, just to have 10 minutes of downhill fun. Yes, I could convert to a downhiller, riding up with lifts, but hey,..... I want to earn the peanuts. :p

Last edited:

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Good tip if you drive your car to the places where you do your training rides:

Don't park at the bottom of the hill and ride up. It's way to easy to let your brain get the better of you and whimp out that you've ridden far enough up it for today.

Park at the top and ride down to the bottom then back up to the car.

You want to drive home? Then you're riding the whole way to the top. No bailout option.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it doesn't get any easier, you just go faster...

Cheers
Gonz
so very very true.

I think changing the attitude is the big thing, I found that once I treated hills as a challenge rather than an unavoidable obstacle, I enjoyed it more.

and often it is a case of finding a nice rhythm, if the slope allows, that you can maintain without getting too puffed.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Miles in the saddle really. That is miles that includes hill after hill.

To start with though find a hill near you and do as others have already said ride it lots, after about 10 times you should be getting a feel for the kind of pace you can sustain up that hill. Once you find that level of discomfort that you can handle that will be your guide to what pace is sustainable up other hills of varying gradients. If the hill is steeper slow down until your discomfort feels about the same as your usual hill, if the hill is not as steep speed up until you reach that level.

dangersean

Likes Bikes
I can't tell you anything different to anyone else.

you need to 'befriend' hills, not 'beat' them.

also, I think it is important to concentrate on your breathing. deep, rythmic breathing always helps me up any climb.

krisko

Likes Dirt
Draft yourself a training plan.
Pick an event you want to do well at.
Start your plan 7 weeks back from the event.

On week 1, add 1 hill day per week. (With your usual riding)
Find a hill that takes 12-15 minutes to climb.
Ride to the hill easy from your place (warmup)
when you are getting closer to the hill do a 3-5 minute hard effort 80-90% (This will get you ready for whats to come)
Continue riding to the hill taking 2-3 minutes to recover.

Ride the hill 3 times (Stay in the saddle) with 10 minutes recovery in between.
Ride the hill at 70-75% then 90% then again at 90% for your last effort.

Make sure your energy is high and your amped for the training to come.
Have a energy gel muesli bar etc in between hills.

Do this for 4 weeks with your other riding. Don't miss or supplement this ride for a group ride, it's going to be tempting.

Then for the 2 weeks add an extra day of hills.
On your other rides add 3 minute hard efforts in to your rides, recovering for 3-4 minutes between efforts.

On the last week cut back on hills and your longer rides and instead do shorter 1 hour high intensity rides , warming down for 20 minutes at the end of these rides. When you get back home stretch your legs especially for 10-15 minutes whilst still warm. I do this whilst eating and am fresh the next day.

Warming down and stretching afterwards will help you recover faster.

Ease off completely 2-3 days prior to the event. If your training is over normally over 8 hours a week, if it's less than 8 hours a week you can continue doing these rides right up to the day before the race.

This is a watered down periodizatrion training plan that I am currently doing.
After doing this for my last 2 races I can honestly say I am faster and finish feeling satisfied with my performance. I now pass more people then pass me on hills.

I reccomend this for people who 'don't have time' , can't afford a trainer or can't be bothered with the science of training but still want/expect results.

Hope this helps.

Beretta

Berettas Bikehub
Hi there, I always struggled riding long steep hills, always getting killed by my mates who seemed to do it easy. So i spent a lot of time on the hills and I found that I used to really attack the bottom of the hill and try to push to hard at the start, now I try to choose a gear I can ride the hill in and really relax into a rythm and just plug away at it and concentrate on your position to maximise your efficiency. Practice is the key, get some miles into your legs on the hills!

Hope that helps

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
well i find hills alot easier than others. I think its because im pretty skiny. so losing weight of your bike and perhaps yourself if you can. Practise help alot, and learning how to climb helps aswell.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I lost 10kg or so and suddenly hills were heaps easier.
I will plus 1 on the Singlespeed recommendation.
It certainly helped my climbing.